Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
his past Sunday I was on the South end of Havasu on a speed run and whamo! BLEW a hose coming from the sea pump. The impeller blew through the giant tear in the hose in many pieces. Alarms came on and I immediately shut down. Water began to fill the bilge and the pumps came on and pumped it out. We were South of Steamboat about 3/4 mile. I called Sea Tow and Derek came out and hooked us up. He towed us back to the Marina and put us on the trailer like a pro. Thank you Sea Tow for coming out and helping when I needed it most. Too bad it was 115 degrees out. After a new hose, impeller, oil change, drive fluid change, I will be back on the water. Just wanted to let everyone know that Sea Tow is just a phone call away! Thanks again for your help!! Sea Tow handled my boat with care and did their job in a professional manner.

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
That's very cool to know. Did you have a "membership" with them? If so, how much was the tow, did you just have to pay their deductible?

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
SeaTow

Thats the cheapest (tow) insurance you will ever buy...... Russ and Derek are the best. They have always been there when we have needed them.

·
On The Gas
1,428 Posts
Sea Tow Rocks!

Russ and Derek are the best. They have always been there for us in times of need. Quick response and always monitoring the radio/cell phones.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
119.00 per year and no deductible

Just like it is wise to have AAA for your car this is a must on the lake. A great example is my boat. This is a boat that is overmaintained and almost new 2007. It can happen to anyone. I chose Sea Tow because of the past responses of other board members. I can vouch for great service.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tow was free but I tipped out Derek for his extra effort and care he took of my boat and crew.

·
Registered
465 Posts
his past Sunday I was on the South end of Havasu on a speed run and whamo! BLEW a hose coming from the sea pump. The impeller blew through the giant tear in the hose in many pieces. Alarms came on and I immediately shut down. Water began to fill the bilge and the pumps came on and pumped it out. We were South of Steamboat about 3/4 mile. I called Sea Tow and Derek came out and hooked us up. He towed us back to the Marina and put us on the trailer like a pro. Thank you Sea Tow for coming out and helping when I needed it most. Too bad it was 115 degrees out. After a new hose, impeller, oil change, drive fluid change, I will be back on the water. Just wanted to let everyone know that Sea Tow is just a phone call away! Thanks again for your help!! Sea Tow handled my boat with care and did their job in a professional manner.

Dan
Hmm, Duneflyer had the same thing happen to him last month while out at Powell, but his impellar was still good. Same boat, motor and Whipple mods. Lots of old pieces came out from old impellars which led me to think that was the cause of all the water pressure problems. Seems some shop wasn't doing a good back flush when changing out impellars. Seems weird for that hose to blow, I'd be keeping a spare for future use. Glad Sea Tow was there for you, one of those services you got to have and hope you never need them.

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
When I was growing up you didn't need a vessel assist company. My father had ski boats as well as a charter fish boat. We've had our share of breakdowns on both and have towed people in many times as well.
I just think it's too bad that we need services like this in the first place. Back then if you broke down, there were a number of people there to help. You never passed someone that may be having problems either in the ocean or on the lake.
It's nice that these people are fulfilling a needed service but it's too bad that more people aren't ready to help.

just my opinion.

·
R U or U R?
1,829 Posts
When I was growing up you didn't need a vessel assist company. My father had ski boats as well as a charter fish boat. We've had our share of breakdowns on both and have towed people in many times as well.
I just think it's too bad that we need services like this in the first place. Back then if you broke down, there were a number of people there to help. You never passed someone that may be having problems either in the ocean or on the lake.
It's nice that these people are fulfilling a needed service but it's too bad that more people aren't ready to help.

just my opinion.
We follow the same protocol. If someone is appearing to be having problems, pull over and ask.
Yeah, it may be a pain in the ass to tow em 10 miles, but what goes around comes around.
No different than the 3 cats that pulled us out of the duck shit in Havi a few months back. They saw us get stuck and pulled right over.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

just my opinion.

I agree that it is very nice to assist boaters that are broken down. When you break down in your car do you expect some other driver to come along and tow you to the shop? I have towed people in the past and probably will in the future. I will tow anyone in trouble to safety but I would be very selective about towing someone long distances. There are thousands of boats on Lake Havasu and each day there are many that are broken down. Let's suppose that you are out on one of your 8-10 outings per year with your family and some good friends for a great weekend on the lake. You have prepared, planned and driven 4-1/3 hours across the desert to enjoy the lake for a day and a half. You have just finished breakfast and all of your friends kids want to go wakeboarding. You see a boat that is broken down on your way back from Pirates Cove and stop to see if they need help. They are not in any danger but ask if you can tow them back to Windsor. That will be two hours. I would not ask my best friend to tow me that far. Let's suppose you were nice enough to do it. After you finished helping them load the boat on the trailer, and you were heading to the South to go wakeboarding you are waved down by another broken down boat that needs a tow back to the Marina. What to do? I have seen five or six broken down boats within a two hour period. I think it is a nice thing to tow but I do not think it should be expected. Be prepared...Get SeaTow!

I want to mention that someone drove by to check on me when I was broken down. Actually two boaters stopped to check on me in about one hours time. I appreciate it but I would not expect a tow. I have heard the talk of Karma... etc... etc... and I am a firm believer in helping anyone who needs help. When I see someone who is broken down I will usually check on them. If they are signalling me I will always check on them. If they are in any danger I will immediately assist them. If they are taking on water I would of course tow them to safety. I carry a tow rope. If they are out of gas I may go and get some for them. I would always call Sea Tow for them on the radio or phone. I would take them to get help if they wished. Sometimes they need something simple like a safety lanyard reattachment. If they want a tow and it is more distance than I feel comfortable towing them given my schedule and obligations I would politely decline and offer to call for help. I do not think that is a bad way to handle the situations that occur at least every hour on a busy Saturday at Lake Havasu. Just for the record I have towed some people for hours, even in the dark. I just get the feeling from some on the board that it is a moral imperitive to alway stop and offer to tow anyone who is broken down. Just sayin... I don't always feel it is necessary. But then again.. with all that bad karma around me maybe that is why I broke down!

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
Sea Tow,

always doing a good job! Sorry to hear about your trouble Dan, however I am glad they were there for ya!

extremely wonderful family!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts