Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hand hole cover bolt which the head snapped off when i loosened it. I have used heat and penetrating oil and still cant budge it (shaving it off with vice grips). Any ideas? I dont wanna have to pull the pump, the bolt is directly below the transom.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Is there enough room to place a 3/8 - 7/16 nut over the broke part and take a wire feed welder and weld down the middle to the broke part and weld to inside the nut?

There was a thread a while back...i c if i can find it

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have a hand hole cover bolt which the head snapped off when i loosened it. I have used heat and penetrating oil and still cant budge it (shaving it off with vice grips). Any ideas? I dont wanna have to pull the pump, the bolt is directly below the transom.
I'm guessing this is a Dominator jet ?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yep, that's correct...a newer dominator
Short of a miracle ,if the transom interferes with a straight approach , you will likley need to remove the jet (very simple) and carefully center punch/drill and extract the broken stud, recommend if you elect for that method you invest in some high quality carbide bits and a good extractor kit to insure against mishaps . You might try to soak it with a mixture of ATF and acetone , don't use heat but if the "stub" is gone your destined to drill , call if you need help Tom

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
Try smacking it with a hammer a few times if possible.
Might free it up some?

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you end up going the extractor route, the reverse cut drill bits are great! In the past I have had broken bolts back out from the drill bit alone!

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a stub left, but not a lot...gonna try it again today. been soaking it for a few days. I have a 3 point engine mount, so not as easy to pull the pump as my last boat (rail kit).

·
Amerian Turbine Man
88 Posts
Sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had to pull the pump...got the stud extracted and all is bueno. Pain in the ass, but gotta do it right

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Forgot to mention that paraffin wax was the only thing that would penetrate...with some heat, obviously. Thanks ATM, good call on that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts