Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best location to install oil presure and water temp sendes, on a BBC?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Senders

Where is the best location to install oil presure and water temp sendes, on a BBC?
Right above the oil filter, and any of the heater hose bosses in the intake manifold....... You can also "T" the oil fittings to allow a "Pro Lite" pressure sender for a warning light. You don't always see a gauge drop, but with a very bright red light in your face it will get your attention..... Highly recommended...

Ray

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Is this a trick question? I have read your build thread and you seem to be very knowledgeable. :)devilBut I'll step in it, oil pressure from factory is either top of block behind dist or above oil filter, galley plug in the block. Coolant probably depends on manifold port options. Or you can go in the cylinder head. If this isn't right, I'll step back and learn with you.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Motor plate

Old school locations. I could care less what the pressure 1 inch above the filter is. I get it from the 3/8 plug at the front at the end of the main oil gallery. And be careful. If the block has 2 holes above the filter, one is straight from the oil pump and tells you nothing about the condition of the filter, or if the main oil gallery has oil pressure at all.
Some front motor plates cover that area...(I heard about a mess created when that plug was left out..):D
How about the last side facing 1/8th NPT right behind that plug?..... That is where I pick up for the "Pro lite".... Isn't the second hole above the filter, (the big one) for a remote oil cooler on some trucks?

Iceman, SBCs have a port near the distributor, BBCs do not......

Ray

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Some front motor plates cover that area...(I heard about a mess created when that plug was left out..):D
How about the last side facing 1/8th NPT right behind that plug?..... That is where I pick up for the "Pro lite".... Isn't the second hole above the filter, (the big one) for a remote oil cooler on some trucks?

Iceman, SBCs have a port near the distributor, BBCs do not......
Ray
Yeah, we have our warning light plugged into the middle 1/8 main gallery plug. Gen 5 and 6 and Bowties have a main gallery oil port up by the dizzy. Ray, this is 2010. Next your going to tell us Fords don't have valves in head, but Cadillac and Olds do.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
As far as coolant temp. sensor location..I worked on a 21' v-drive a couple weeks ago that had an obstruction in the inlet fitting on the front of the motor and it caused the engine to run 20-30 degrees hotter than normal.....never went past 190...because the temp sensor was located on the intake, close to the water outlet for that side of the motor...the excess temp noticeable......if it had been located on the other side it might not have showed up at all...or even in the middle it might have shown up as 10-20 degrees....

So i am thinking that in a marine application, where the engine block and head are 2 separate sources of heat...it might be a good idea 2 run a sender in each head...........and even if only one gauge was used,
being able to check head temp separately might be a good way diagnose problems...ie a head gasket the will only push coolant under a load or any kind of uneven heating problem....

like a plugged inlet fitting

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
60s

Yeah, we have our warning light plugged into the middle 1/8 main gallery plug. Gen 5 and 6 and Bowties have a main gallery oil port up by the dizzy. Ray, this is 2010. Next your going to tell us Fords don't have valves in head, but Cadillac and Olds do.
Hey, the 50s will never die..... And Fords have that heater control valve thingy near the head, don't they... I have never seen a gen 5 or 6 or bowtie BBC, they're all in the high roller's boats, and I don't know any high rollers except Rankin...... And he won't let me get too close to the SS80 boat.... You know, secret set ups and all.....

Ray

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
they're all in the high roller's boats, and I don't know any high rollers except Rankin...... And he won't let me get too close to the SS80 boat.... You know, secret set ups and all.....

Ray
I love statements like this. There are no secrets in the SS80 boat except one or two in the engine. No high roller except in the hull and the bling. Bling is intimidating, but it isn't fast. And the boat is not light. There is nothing there guys. What is there, is perfect execution of the right parts. And Dave has no secrets. Gordy may have a few, but Dave doesn't. Dave could almost afford to run those boats if he charge a dollar for every plate he has set on a flat.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Distinguished Member
5,772 Posts
Old school locations. I could care less what the pressure 1 inch above the filter is. I get it from the 3/8 plug at the front at the end of the main oil gallery. And be carefull. If the block has 2 holes above the filter, on is straight from the oil pump and tells you nothing about the condition of the filter, or if the main oil gallery has oil pressure at all.
Yea, like your driver even looks at it!! :)sphss Where's that pic of your boat with the tach at 6k+ and the oil pressure at ZERO!!! ;) We don neeeed no stinkin gage!!!

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Yea, like your driver even looks at it!! :)sphss Where's that pic of your boat with the tach at 6k+ and the oil pressure at ZERO!!! ;) We don neeeed no stinkin gage!!!
He sees it. And there is a big azz blinding light aimed at his retina. He has shut that boat down 3 times in the past three years because it lost oil pressure in the middle of a race. And saved the engine everytime. the bearing that are in that motor of that pic, are still in the boat after 2 seasons and are running the 300 next weekend. I have pics of them now and will take more after the race. I don't like it, but it doesn't seems to be hurting the bearing any. The data recorder keeps track for me as well. None of this is a news to either of us. Must be damn good oil;)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I will show my ignorance again.
I put the sender for the data acquisition at the port where a dry sump line would be plumbed in to the dart block. The data ac read 90# . This puzzled me. How could the pressure be that high. Gauge shows 65 to 70 depending on oil temp. I figured it was a sensor issue, or to close to ignition wire... but since the thread is up...
It seems to me (but probably not) since fluid is not compressable pressure a should equal pressure b should equal pressure c. No matter where it is taken from.
Help me out here guys. I never actually tried moving a pickup point to see WTF is going on.
BTW, on the old block I checked pressure by the #1 main side port.
Wags

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I will show my ignorance again.
I put the sender for the data acquisition at the port where a dry sump line would be plumbed in to the dart block. The data ac read 90# . This puzzled me. How could the pressure be that high. Gauge shows 65 to 70 depending on oil temp. I figured it was a sensor issue, or to close to ignition wire... but since the thread is up...
It seems to me (but probably not) since fluid is not compressable pressure a should equal pressure b should equal pressure c. No matter where it is taken from.
Help me out here guys. I never actually tried moving a pickup point to see WTF is going on.
BTW, on the old block I checked pressure by the #1 main side port.
Wags
You would be 100% correct in your thinking, if the fluid was wasn't flowing. Static it has to be the same through out the system. A 1/8 pipe with 100lbs on this end, is 100lbs on that end. I don't care how far that end and this end are apart. But move the fluid, and distance and gallery size becomes a huge issue. And Bernoulli's law comes into effect. Which is why I like to read it at the end of the main gallery of a Mk IV block. It isn't flow past the pick up point, and it is a the end of the gallery. If you could read it at the end of the last lifter gallery, like on a truck block, up on the front of the block, you would see about 30lbs.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts
he sees it. And there is a big azz blinding light aimed at his retina. He has shut that boat down 3 times in the past three years because it lost oil pressure in the middle of a race. And saved the engine everytime. The bearing that are in that motor of that pic, are still in the boat after 2 seasons and are running the 300 next weekend. I have pics of them now and will take more after the race. I don't like it, but it doesn't seems to be hurting the bearing any. The data recorder keeps track for me as well. None of this is a news to either of us. Must be damn good oil;)
vr 1? :d

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
You would be 100% correct in your thinking, if the fluid was wasn't flowing. Static it has to be the same through out the system. A 1/8 pipe with 100lbs on this end, is 100lbs on that end. I don't care how far that end and this end are apart. But move the fluid, and distance and gallery size becomes a huge issue. And Bernoulli's law comes into effect. Which is why I like to read it at the end of the main gallery of a Mk IV block. It isn't flow past the pick up point, and it is a the end of the gallery. If you could read it at the end of the last lifter gallery, like on a truck block, up on the front of the block, you would see about 30lbs.
Ah... I forgot all about Beroulli's law. :confused: LOL
Thanks GN. The flow does explain what is going on.
Thanks
Wags

BTW, I have a pressure baseline where my sensor is located now. It will stay there. It is the cleanest location to mount it. If it drops ... wait... can it stay near the 90 at point a (close to pump) but fall off the end of the world at point b (front main)... meaning I SHOULD relocate sensor???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts