Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Newbe here and I am new to this site, Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I'm looking at purchasing a 1972 Cee Bee "The Avenger", 18' with a 455 olds and a Berkley jet drive. I've been trying to find out more information on it but can't find much. I'm looking for manuals on the jet drive, engine and hull can anyone out there help me or point me in the right direction? I'll be happy to provide pics if needed.

Thanks in advance for any responces.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Avenger Pics

You might want to post pictures of your find and describe it to us. There are plenty on here that will help, just need more info. I've always love the looks of the Avengers. Chances are you won't find an Advanger Brochure. But most questions you might have can be answered.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i had a '78 avenger 18' only with a 460 bbf.my son and i restored it a few years back.it was very well made but also very heavy.it has a deeper v bottom,and lots of wood over glass.with a basic stock 460 and two people,half tank gas,(the tanks are in the front) 52mph was best ever.the avenger boat that set records was bob browns boat,and was set up much lighter.so, if you plan on upgrading the olds,getting some pump work done,in my opinion,your best speed will be in the high 50's to low 60's.good luck finging one.

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
I've got a '77 Avenger, its an 18' as well. I've had it for going on 5 years now, no complaints. Been fun as hell having it. Tad on the heavy side I believe compared to most, but seems to handle the water well. Previous owner said he'd GPS'd it at 64 mph, but the best speed I've seen is a blistering 55 mph, which I don't figure is too bad for the old truck engine I have in there now. :p

Here's a link to a page of old Avenger brochures from 1976 off Power Cat Boat's website, pretty cool stuff:

http://www.powercatboat.com/Avenger/CeeBee04.html

Mine is the Model 185, what model is the one you're looking at? Post some pics if you have some.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply guys! The boat needs a new interior, but so far the hull seems sound. I'm going to be going through the engine next week sometime as well as the jet drive with the info I have been provided. it's current owner has had it for 9 or 10 years and in that time it has never seen the water, although she said the engine was gunning a few years ago. Any other advice on what I should be looking for before I purchase it? She want $1500 for it. Here are some pics..

Attachments

·
I don't feel tardy
845 Posts
A couple more...
Fab,
Check those stringers where the motor plates attach.
That floor looks like it may need to be replaced. Once you remove the old floor you can probably elliminate about 100lbs of water soaked foam up by the fuel tank in the bow area. A place diverter would certainly help that boat.
I owned a 1975 Avenger back in the 1980s.
Dave

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fab,
Check those stringers where the motor plates attach.
That floor looks like it may need to be replaced. Once you remove the old floor you can probably elliminate about 100lbs of water soaked foam up by the fuel tank in the bow area. A place divertor would certainly help that boat.
I owned a 1975 Avenger back in the 1980s.
Dave
I will check them. I live in CO real dry climate here, hopefully that will work to my advantage. The boat was also stored bow up and the drain plug out. The boat has 2 fuel tanks 1 in the bow and one on the starboard side in the rear, I will check those as well. A "place diverter"??? what does that do? I have never owned a jet boat before so any all all info would help.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
just curious, how much are they asking for that? Seems like she has not seen love in a long time and may need a good bit of work. Not saying its not worth it but depending on what they want for it, the money may be better spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She purchased it 9 or 10 years ago for $1800, she is asking $1500, I thinking in the $500 to $900 range depending on what I find. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
She purchased it 9 or 10 years ago for $1800, she is asking $1500, I thinking in the $500 to $900 range depending on what I find. What do you think?
I think price depends on the area you live. Jets on the east coast are more $$ than in socal. if the money is not an issue then its really up to you. However if those stringers are rotten or that floor has to come out i would be a little gun shy if i was you. Then again if your not afraid of some hard work and have a place to work it may make one hell of a project.

·
Renegade jet
472 Posts
I would spend the money up front to get something that does not need a ton of work, also look for something with a Big Block Ford or Chevy as they are more reliable and cheaper to work on.

·
Registered
851 Posts
You could always call the shop, they're still in the same location they been in for decades.

Cee Bee Manufacturing
(310)537-0073
11511 Bellinger St., Lynwood, CA 90262

Last time I was there maybe 2 years ago they still had every mold they ever used stacked up in the yard and Bobby's son Richard (I think his name is Richard) was running the place. I'm sure you could get any of your questions answered by going to the source. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the reply guys-

I don't mind the project, as that's what I wanted. Looking to do it with my nephew (8 yo) who loves mechanics and electronics (we have custody of him and his sister cause their mom is a piece of s**t) . He has cancer, although he is doing really great and no one can tell us whats going to happen, I want to make the best of it, keep him happy, the best of positive memories, and he really likes this boat because "it looks cool".

Say if the floor/stringers are bad but the engine/jet drive/trailer are good would you think the $1500 is worth it? Either tell her no for that price or offer her say, 500 for it or move on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a '77 Avenger, its an 18' as well. I've had it for going on 5 years now, no complaints. Been fun as hell having it. Tad on the heavy side I believe compared to most, but seems to handle the water well. Previous owner said he'd GPS'd it at 64 mph, but the best speed I've seen is a blistering 55 mph, which I don't figure is too bad for the old truck engine I have in there now. :p

Here's a link to a page of old Avenger brochures from 1976 off Power Cat Boat's website, pretty cool stuff:

http://www.powercatboat.com/Avenger/CeeBee04.html

Mine is the Model 185, what model is the one you're looking at? Post some pics if you have some.....
I think the one I'm looking at might be the 180 model.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
others may know better than me but i would think if those stringers and floors are rotten then offer her 500 bucks and you will tow it away (Assuming the motor is usable)..show her why you offered such a low price. Thats not a cheap repair but very dooable by the do it your selfer. However no way your seeing the water this summer if you have to do it. I have seen photos of guys on here redoing floors and stringers. its a bunch of work but i think its worth it.

Then again those few thousand dollars you would put into that, getting it usable, you could buy a ready to run boat that needed some TLC. That way you could enjoy it while you restored it.

Either way its your choice and i dont think either would be wrong as long as you are prepaired for what you are getting into and are ready for the exspence.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys! The boat needs a new interior, but so far the hull seems sound. I'm going to be going through the engine next week sometime as well as the jet drive with the info I have been provided. it's current owner has had it for 9 or 10 years and in that time it has never seen the water, although she said the engine was gunning a few years ago. Any other advice on what I should be looking for before I purchase it? She want $1500 for it. Here are some pics..

where do i get one of those fancy tire scoops like that i want one:)devil

1 - 20 of 39 Posts