Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished making a template for a transom plate. My pump isnt set back real far, the hand hole cover is about 3/4 of the way outside the back of the transom. The boat is a condor tx19 with a berkeley pump. I scanned the template in to my computer and if it would help anyone elso out I would be glad to email it to you. If nothing else maybe it would give you a starting point if you need to make one. Now I need to decide if I should make it out of dark lexan or aluminum. I was going to use 1/4 inch dark lexan, since im not the kind of guy to polish aluminum all the time and keep it looking good. What do you guys think? Send me a pm with your email if the template will help you out.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I just finished making a template for a transom plate. My pump isnt set back real far, the hand hole cover is about 3/4 of the way outside the back of the transom. The boat is a condor tx19 with a berkeley pump. I scanned the template in to my computer and if it would help anyone elso out I would be glad to email it to you. If nothing else maybe it would give you a starting point if you need to make one. Now I need to decide if I should make it out of dark lexan or aluminum. I was going to use 1/4 inch dark lexan, since im not the kind of guy to polish aluminum all the time and keep it looking good. What do you guys think? Send me a pm with your email if the template will help you out.
PM sent.

I'd be worried about the lexan breaking/cracking.

·
Banned
344 Posts
pm sent i would use aluminum, that is what i used om my liberator , i [polished it then sprayed clear over it , and never has a problem.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive got a hunk of fiberglass I could cut them out of too. maybe that would be better than lexan and easier than aluminum

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
I have kicked around the Idea of fiberglass also.
If I gel coated it white it would blend in better.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
emails sent to busby, taylorman and squirtcha. let me know if they dont come thru ok.
Got it................thanks

Brendellajet is right. I use a regular old circular saw with a plywood blade flipped around backwards for straight cuts and a jigsaw with a metal blade for the other.

It's really not bad to work with. The 1/4" is easy to cut. Not sure what the next size/thickness down is in aluminum plate but that would be even easier and probably plenty strong.

I've even cut 3/8" plate with my circular and it buzzed right through it. It helps to have someone spray the blade with WD40 while you cut. It keeps the aluminum from melting and sticking to the teeth.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Aluminum will cut with a crosscut carbide tooth saw blade. I used to do it all the time. Freaking chips hurt bad so wear eye protection!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to go with aluminum. I think the fiberglass or lexan will crack from the stress of the steering cable and place divertor cable pushing and pulling against it. now I just need to score a piece of plate somewhere.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
clamshells

Interesting concept and virtually unbreakable too! ,We've use both aluminum and fiberglass ,here's one from this week and a couple prior as well Tom cool never thought about Lexan ,??

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Im going to go with aluminum. I think the fiberglass or lexan will crack from the stress of the steering cable and place divertor cable pushing and pulling against it. now I just need to score a piece of plate somewhere.

Joe what thickness do you need? I have .080 up to 3/8th's in stock

1 - 20 of 27 Posts