Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some circle racing, and lost some valve train components! Considering a switch to shaft rockers for precision and durability:

Crower - Stainless Steel; Aluminum
T&D - Aluminum
Jesel - Billet Steel; Aluminum

Too many friggin' choices!!! Share your experience / opinions!!

461 ci / RHS 360 heads / 650 lift roller cam / 8-71 / intercooler / operates 6500-7000 rpm.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,200 Posts
The aluminum ones do break. They just do. All part of the deal. The more you heat em up and cool em off, the closer to breakage they get. I don't really pound on my equipment, but have broken too many. (Fortunately I break them right in the lights on 1/4 mile runs, and I don't hurt too much stuff.) Also, I buy lots of spares from other people. Every time I get a bunch of them, there are always a few broken ones in the mix. Especially from the 4.840 pro stock days. The more rpm's and the more pressure and lift, obviously the more breakage. So for your application, I would go with the steel Crowers. The stainless deals are cool. I have a set on my small block boat. But I have never purchased a set of the Crower BBCs, so don't know how they compare price wise.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I didnt know my T&D's were all aluminum??? they work perfectly on both of my motors and I run the shit out of them. constantly up and over 6000 with a 747lift cam for miles on end.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I bought T&D's for my alloy mopar motor but they only made it out of the box to wipe my drool off them.

Brian

·
Some guy
3,633 Posts
T&D also has a steel rocker, I believe. I talked to them on the phone about a set for a blown marine engine. I forget the extra charge for them, but opted for aluminum for the intended usage of the engine. Those companies all have tech guys who get paid to talk to you on the phone, worth a call I think.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,079 Posts
So far so good on the T&D's. Just remember none of them are straight bolt on's:

They are nice to work with, no "f"ing stud gridle to play with.

S CP :D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far so good on the T&D's. Just remember none of them are straight bolt on's:

They are nice to work with, no "f"ing stud gridle to play with.

S CP :D
I won't miss the stud girdle, for sure! The failure was a guideplate, so I wont miss those either. With all the carnage in the valve train and parts flying around, I was damn lucky the heads and bottom end were not hurt.

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
For endurance applications, Crower stainless, T&D, and then Jessel, if you must. T&D and Crower are a toss up IMO, but stainless for endurance for sure. You might also look into Miller and see wht they've got going. Anything from Jim Miller is going to be $$, but very high quality.
JMO.

·
Just another Wannabe
1,200 Posts
Definitely T&D over Jesel. Just for customer service alone!
But for GN and endurance, I still say steel is the way to go. I have never looked into T&D steel. I guess I should

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely T&D over Jesel. Just for customer service alone!
But for GN and endurance, I still say steel is the way to go. I have never looked into T&D steel. I guess I should

I spoke with T&D today and found they do, indeed, make a steel rocker, but they are a special order item not listed in their catalogue. They use chrome moly steel, and cost about $1600. T&D also offers options for roller bearing tips, and valve spring oiler squirt holes. I kind of like the idea that they keep some tricks up their sleeve for specific needs.

Next I called Crower to ask about their stainless rockers. The guy I spoke with knew they were stainless, and mentioned stainless is less susceptable to expansion than aluminum. That's all he could tell me. They cost about $1300.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
True

The guy I spoke with knew they were stainless, and mentioned stainless is less susceptable to expansion than aluminum. That's all he could tell me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
been running T&D's for 5 years on a blown 540 that sees over 6000 rpm and i have NEVER had one problem out of them, they can also put spring oilers in them. It takes some time to get them worked out but once you have it they are great my valve adjustment hardly moves at all between adjustments :)devil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts