Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
in the works
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue was a pain in the @$$ to me. Couldn't figure it out, thank god for a close friend of mine with good eyes!
My motor would just shut off randomly, basically like if you were to just turn the key off. It was very temperamental, sometime would run for 10 mins, sometimes for a few seconds. Looooooooong story short, it ended up being the module in the distributor had a loose connection. Where the male and female ends meet, the female end was loose. Took a set of needle nose pliers and tightened them up. So far, have had no issues.
Thought i would mention my issue with that for the next HEI sucker that may run into this. :)hand

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
This issue was a pain in the @$$ to me. Couldn't figure it out, thank god for a close friend of mine with good eyes!
My motor would just shut off randomly, basically like if you were to just turn the key off. It was very temperamental, sometime would run for 10 mins, sometimes for a few seconds. Looooooooong story short, it ended up being the module in the distributor had a loose connection. Where the male and female ends meet, the female end was loose. Took a set of needle nose pliers and tightened them up. So far, have had no issues.
Thought i would mention my issue with that for the next HEI sucker that may run into this. :)hand
This was an MSD HEI? Or a stock HEI with a MSD module. If it was a MSD HEI dizzy, MSD needs to get their act together soon. They had enough issues before. Now that they are owned by some big azz conglomerate, they have gone down hill fast!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Good info! Water and electronics don't always mix so well! Cover your'e back-side on all connections is the first move. Grounds and boats are a whole seperate story!IMLAO. M

·
in the works
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this was an msd hei? Or a stock hei with a msd module. If it was a msd hei dizzy, msd needs to get their act together soon. They had enough issues before. Now that they are owned by some big azz conglomerate, they have gone down hill fast!
msd hei

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
WOW! i never thought that.. i figured they're one of the best
Seems to be a problem in the past year. The company was sold awhile back, and I think it may be beginning to show. Not certain there is a performance problem yet. But there sure seems to be a wiring and QC issues. We had a brand new 6M-2 box with the leads to the dizzy reversed. And it was not the first case by any means.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
in the works
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems to be a problem in the past year. The company was sold awhile back, and I think it may be beginning to show. Not certain there is a performance problem yet. But there sure seems to be a wiring and QC issues. We had a brand new 6M-2 box with the leads to the dizzy reversed. And it was not the first case by any means.
its bad to hear.. i bet if u look closely somewhere it was say, "Designed in USA, assembled in Mexico"

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
its bad to hear.. i bet if u look closely somewhere it was say, "Designed in USA, assembled in Mexico"
when the company is in Texas, no need to take them acroos the border. There are more than enough of them right there. If the assembly plant was in so cal, who would be be assembling them. If it wasn't for the UAW, they would be screwing together Corvettes. Not a big fan of the UAW, but not a big fan of driving a Vette screwed together by some one making $7.50 an hr, being watched by someone making 8.50 hr either.

The problem with big companies buying little ones, is they have to turn enough profit to justify purchasing the compnay. And they want the payback soon. so they start cutting corners. MSD use to be a great company to deal with. Lately, they have pissed me off. 5 years ago, they never charge more than shipping to repair a box. Now, they charged to replace the fuse.

·
in the works
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DAMN! thats bad to hear.. i think all companies seem to be cutting corners. Either lazy work or/and want a quick profit without even caring about customer service.
Without customer service, there is no business to begin with

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Same thing happened to me 3 mths. ago, a previous thread alerted me and I caught it and corrected it before any damage was done. Bottom line, 'double check' everything these days.

·
JRPM/e-PerformanceMarine
2,034 Posts
The problem with big companies buying little ones, is they have to turn enough profit to justify purchasing the compnay. And they want the payback soon. so they start cutting corners. MSD use to be a great company to deal with. Lately, they have pissed me off. 5 years ago, they never charge more than shipping to repair a box. Now, they charged to replace the fuse.
Bob, Billy and I were talking about the same thing at the race. Now my box that failed was just back from MSD, I called them up and they gave me a line of crap about racing and parts. I told the guy it was just like that but it is real hard to justify when you go out on a clean track with brand new tires and blow it on the pace lap. Needless to say I won maybe, they are fixing it under warranty. I am going to call them up Monday and have them make a few upgrades as well under warranty.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
Forgot to mention when we tapped the ditributor cap with the handle of a screw driver the engine would stumble and sometimes die.
The connection that was loose was the green wire plugging into the trigger module.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Bob, Billy and I were talking about the same thing at the race. Now my box that failed was just back from MSD, I called them up and they gave me a line of crap about racing and parts. I told the guy it was just like that but it is real hard to justify when you go out on a clean track with brand new tires and blow it on the pace lap. Needless to say I won maybe, they are fixing it under warranty. I am going to call them up Monday and have them make a few upgrades as well under warranty.
Goes to show you the difference in the company policy now. the old company was fixing boxes under the old RollsRoyce concept. You would send them the box and they would send it back freight collect but N/C from them. When you look at repair slip they always said "found nothing wrong". first time I saw that I thought they just turned it around and never even checked it. Except it worked. Everybody would tell you the samething. they always came back "nothing wrong N/C" Now you fight them just for the warranty period. If I didn't have so many of them, I would start looking for an alternative. I would seriously consider Mallory again. Or Summits box, which is nothing more than a Mallory.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
I had a Mallory Unilight leave me stranded 15 miles in the woods on a Elk hunt in Oregon 18yrs ago. Took 3 days to get the part then had to go find my truck. It was buried to its bumpers in fresh snow. Swore I'd never use a Mallory again, until maybe now...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts