Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
rollin on the river
1,932 Posts
WOW The last time I saw the lake that low was in the seventies...:))eek:))

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
But those DAMN canals to L.A. are running full! :mad: :|err
it's not just the canals to LA. The amount of salinity in the Delta has a bearing on how much water is released also. If the salt content gets too far into the Delta, it jeopardizes the survival of many species of fish and other wild life. But, I do know what you're saying....LA does get way too much of the water!

Cool link Tim!

DaveO,
We used to head to Dunsmuir every year from about 1972 to 1980. It was amazing how low Shasta got in the late 70's! Hopefully they get a lot of rain up there this winter to fill it back up....at least to about 1,020'
Here's a link to follow the Shasta lake level-
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?SHA

I visit that site all the time

·
rollin on the river
1,932 Posts
it's not just the canals to LA. The amount of salinity in the Delta has a bearing on how much water is released also. If the salt content gets too far into the Delta, it jeopardizes the survival of many species of fish and other wild life. But, I do know what you're saying....LA does get way too much of the water!

Cool link Tim!

DaveO,
We used to head to Dunsmuir every year from about 1972 to 1980. It was amazing how low Shasta got in the late 70's! Hopefully they get a lot of rain up there this winter to fill it back up....at least to about 1,020'
Here's a link to follow the Shasta lake level-
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryDaily?SHA

I visit that site all the time
I lived there in lake head for a few years growing up we used to walk acrossed the lake at lake shore and jump over the sac river/ creek.

B

·
0 Posts
Looks like we're having a good year for snow so far this year up here. Was out at the lake a couple of weeks ago by the damn, looked pretty crappy. Its gonna take more that a couple of good winters to get it back up, if we're lucky.

·
Northern CA DCB Sales
1,230 Posts
We can hope, it filled from that point in one winter back in 92! All we need is heavy rain in March and April.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope it rains alot. I havent been there in 2 years and planning on taking the family up for a couple weeks in April. Im wondering how far the docks will be away from the cabins we rent.

·
rollin on the river
1,932 Posts
I hope it rains alot. I havent been there in 2 years and planning on taking the family up for a couple weeks in April. Im wondering how far the docks will be away from the cabins we rent.
What resort?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I'll try to shoot the American tomorrow from Watt Ave. Some places you can walk across the entire river. And Arnold and company want to send MORE water dow to his cronies in So. Cal. What will they do whe we run dry?

B

·
0 Posts
this Salt Creek but from what I've heard, the Sac Arm is pretty much the same-

looking east from Salt Creek-

That aria get that way pretty much every year. The upper Sac arm doesnt look much differant than that this year though, pretty scary.

B

·
0 Posts
And Arnold and company want to send MORE water dow to his cronies in So. Cal. What will they do whe we run dry?
Not sure how much this has to do with Shasta being low really? We didnt have a real good winter last year and regardless of lake level theres other things that rely on the water released from the Shasta, just ask fish and game. :)bulb

·
Angry American
3,103 Posts
Shasta Lake levels-

11/1/08 - 909.97
12/1/08 - 912.91
1/1/09 - 915.52

As of yesterday, Shasta is at 916.50.

After approximately 6.5" of rain, the lake has come up almost 7', 12.5" to date has fallen. Given that, there still were days when more water was let out than what was coming in......preparing for a wet winter?

Here's an excerpt from redding.com
Shasta Dam records about 63 inches in a normal rainfall season. The dam got only 38.48 inches of rain in 2006/2007 and 47.40 inches in 2007/2008, state Department of Water Resources figures show.
As the 1977 drought ended, Lake Shasta famously filled in a few months when waves of soaking subtropical storms struck Northern California. The dam recorded 98.59 inches of rainfall in the 1977/1978 season and the lake crested just 2.5 feet below the dam, rising 227 feet.
Shasta also staged a fairly dramatic comeback starting in late 1992, when another soaking series of storms brought the lake up 153 feet to within 1.5 feet of the dam crest the following spring. Shasta Dam recorded a respectable but hardly record-setting 78.78 inches of rain through the 1992/1993 season, precipitation records show.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts