Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ryan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been there lately? Looking at going there with the in laws, father in law wants to do some skiing and doesnt like skiing on the river.

I havent been there since I was a kid and looking to rent a place in the Sierra Pines Development.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Don't know the rules... But my neighbor goes there all the time, she said the lake is off the chain..... Suppose to be awsome that Shaver lake..

·
Registered
154 Posts
This place is awesome, its a great lake to relax on. My family just returned from a week long trip up there and they said the water was high and the weather was perfect.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We have a little place at Shaver and spend alot of time up there--nice weather, clean air, sandy beaches, perfect water temp, and, during the week, great water for skiing. Weekends are a little busier with wake board boats and jet skiis, but during the week, the only competition are the fishing boats. Only downside is that at the 5500' elevation, performance suffers a little. Have a great time, just don't tell all your friends. Any questions, give me a call.

Mark--"Sanger Pete"
(559) 917-1785

·
Twin squirt guns.
1,778 Posts
Went there every summer as a kid. Haven't been in a long time. Do they still have the "no franchise" rule? As in no McDonalds or chain restaurants. Makes for a nice sleepy little town.

I remember the little bakery had killer fresh bear claws every morning.

Loved that place. Can you rent houses on the water? There are some nice ones.

·
Willow Valley / Palmdale
562 Posts
Been going there for years. Relly nice spot.

If you are looking for something else to do while there it is worth the trip to Huntington Lake for Breakfast. If you have time go to Florence or Edison lakes for a great day drive. Great country side.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just went by there last Friday. We were going to go fish there, but the bite was better at Huntington Lake (too many sail boats). Caught some nice kokanee salmon.
Shaver had lots of boats there when we were going home. Shaver lake is 98% full. Great place. 80 degrees.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Shaver is awesome!! My 2nd favorite lake. (1st if the water was a bit warmer..) . Edison Campground is very cool.

Great side trip idea:

If you like fishing-- Courtwright and Wishon are about 45 minutes east of Shaver. 75% of Yosemite's beauty and we limit out on trout every time there (twice a year for 7 years)-- and no crowds.. :)devil

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
No Carl's or McDonalds but there is the burgers, sandwiches, pizza and fine dining....well at least finER dining.

·
?
154 Posts
We go up there to the in laws house a couple of times a year. It's a cool place to go. Only thing about it that I don't like is the altitude. Other than that it's alot of fun.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Great wheeling, too. You can take a few days and go around on the Dusy/Ershim trail, a narrow path between two "wilderness areas". Gorgeous country, nice lakes to fish in, remote camping....:))THumbsUp

·
It's good to be alive
1,526 Posts
Very pretty area. Read up on the history and what the (chain of) lakes are all about. SCE should teach the Park Service(s) how to build and run campgrounds!!!

·
Ryan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shaver

Any ideas on places to rent or stay? There will be 6 of us.
Never ran the boat in that kind of altitude, I know performance wont be there but just going to do some skiing and wakeboarding, anything else I need to know?

Thanks for all the input!

·
Ryan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

We have a little place at Shaver and spend alot of time up there--nice weather, clean air, sandy beaches, perfect water temp, and, during the week, great water for skiing. Weekends are a little busier with wake board boats and jet skiis, but during the week, the only competition are the fishing boats. Only downside is that at the 5500' elevation, performance suffers a little. Have a great time, just don't tell all your friends. Any questions, give me a call.

Mark--"Sanger Pete"
(559) 917-1785

Thanks for the offer Mark, any suggestions on a place to rent thats somewhat close to the lake? I see quite a few places in the Sierra Pines development, how far is that from the lake?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sierra Pines is probably 5+ miles from the lake. Here is a good resource for rental and general information--good maps of the various locations at Shaver Lake. http://www.shaverlake.com/ Looks like nightly rates are from $150. and up. Actually, the camp grounds are closer to the water--Camp Edison which has hot showers and some sites that are within 200 feet of the water. There is also a day use area, marina, and launching ramp (I'm not sure of the cost). Dorabella camp ground is more primitive, but very close to Dorabella cove (day use) which is a nice place to swim and picnic. The only cabins that are on/near the water are on "the point".

Our cabin is in the "east village" which is near the restaurants and shops, but also within walking distance to Dorabella cove. It is about 3 miles to the marina/free launch ramp that we use. There are also some nice day use areas around the lake just past this ramp.

When are you planning to come up?

·
Ryan
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sierra Pines is probably 5+ miles from the lake. Here is a good resource for rental and general information--good maps of the various locations at Shaver Lake. http://www.shaverlake.com/ Looks like nightly rates are from $150. and up. Actually, the camp grounds are closer to the water--Camp Edison which has hot showers and some sites that are within 200 feet of the water. There is also a day use area, marina, and launching ramp (I'm not sure of the cost). Dorabella camp ground is more primitive, but very close to Dorabella cove (day use) which is a nice place to swim and picnic. The only cabins that are on/near the water are on "the point".

Our cabin is in the "east village" which is near the restaurants and shops, but also within walking distance to Dorabella cove. It is about 3 miles to the marina/free launch ramp that we use. There are also some nice day use areas around the lake just past this ramp.

When are you planning to come up?
Thinking about coming up next weekend, thanks again for the help, really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
My family's been going there since the lake was made. I spent every summer there till I was a teenager. I havn't found any place else like it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
No Carl's or McDonalds but there is the burgers, sandwiches, pizza and fine dining....well at least finER dining.
We have a cabin at Dinkey Creek, about 15 mins down the road from the town of Shaver, occasionally head into town to the pizza joint on the corner or the burgers across the street. Haven't had the flat out on Shaver yet, would like to next year, any hassle with exhaust?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts