Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a walk around Sierra Boat Works Carnelian Bay Lake Tahoe and this boat really stood out- it looks very similar to the Baby Bootlegger which is said to be the most sought after speedboat in the world.....I saw it yesterday and went back today and took some pics for all of you.

· Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is Baby Bootlegger lives on Lake Winnipesaukee powered by a Hispano-Suiza v-8 winner of the 1924 Gold Cup said to be the most sought after speedboat in the world

· Registered
2,344 Posts
I have visited Sierra boat company often. Great people. This seems very unusual, and rare.

Many of the vintage boats used Scrips V-12 engines. But as we can see this has a Packard engine. At the time Packard used some of the most powerful automotive engines in their cars. One reason why Jay Leno loves them, they have power since most pre war cars had 35-60 HP.
Thanks for a photo of a real speed boat. I will be up in NH near Wiers Beach on October 1st and plan on a taking a few photos to post.

· Banned
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on the literature that I have when Baby Bootlegger won the GoldCup in 1924 it was because a boat named Rainbow lV was dq'ed for having 12 steps in the hull..this boat is a later recreation of that hull is my guess

· pay me or pay me no mind
3,173 Posts
these kind of boats are so beautiful, the wood work,equipment and hardware on these are timeless. i have a uncle who is has almost completed a restore on a front engine all wood hydro if i can get over to his shop ill take a couple pic's ill post them!

found the link to the begining of the restore
http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/honeybear_e116_restoration.html

and what she looks like now

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.