Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would we do now, given the information we had at the time and the information we now have, about protecting our airspace from a highjacked or otherwise unfriendly passenger or private
non-military aircraft.

Has enough time passed that this can be discussed?

I think the ramifications of our military firing on and downing a passenger plane would undoubtedly be HUGE, no matter the justification.

I have a friend who is a pilot. Flying around in the desert, he must have crossed into restricted airspace, I think it might have been around Fort Bragg, (maybe?) anyway, he told me a similar story, like BNB video, except it was a helicopter that had greeted him with the gun door open.

When a military aircraft displays a show of force like that, doubtful many people would do otherwise than pay very close attention to the instructions they are given, but what can really happen? Fire on a civilian aircraft?

Could we really do such a thing?

What if the intentions are sinister, what would we accept if our military downed a domestic or international commercial airliner off our coast or over our land if it were deemed as a threat?

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
After watching the towers fall, I would say yes. Its a new world out there. Unfortunately, for us in Phoenix area all it would take is 1 plane to hit those Nuke towers just north of PXH. We would be shocked but what else could they do to stop a person who is willing to die. Cant talk him down.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
End of story.....

Well if the pilot won't respond to demands, see ya.........If over water, all die, and we would never know the actual intensions. Over land, the liability could be huge based on where it crashes and how many on the ground are killed or injured, again, likely no onboard survivors......Tough call for whoever has to make it...........Hopefully we'll never find out.......MP

·
Registered
378 Posts
We send hundreds if not thousands of our youngest citizens to fight and die for us so whats a couple hundred more SHOOT THE MF DOWN

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
We send hundreds if not thousands of our youngest citizens to fight and die for us so whats a couple hundred more SHOOT THE MF DOWN
And if you were on the plane posting on your laptop what would your answer be? :)bulb

·
Faster, Stronger, Bionic
626 Posts
Planes cross into restricted airspace all the time. The number of times this happens in the US alone is well into the thousands per year. It's extremely easy to do, especially if you are flying in an unfamiliar area or lost or have an inaccurate chart, programed your GPS wrong, something breaks, somebody slaps up a temporary restriction, the pilot is just enjoying the view, etc. There are no lane markers to follow in the sky. The govt has had the authority to shoot down all these planes for years, it's just usually not prudent to shoot student pilots and vacationing doctors out of the sky, when a simple radio call and a stern lecture or a gunship flying next to you usually does the trick.

·
Registered
678 Posts
There is no good answer to this, but in the world we live in today, I think more people would accept the gov. having to shoot down a plane that was known to be hijacked and had intentions of causing more harm to Americans. It is one of those situations we hope we never have to face. It would certainly suck to be the pilot who is instructed to take out that plane as well. It's a lose lose all the way around, you just have to choose the option where you lose the least.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It would never be needed for a commercial flight. I fly ALOT for work and still to this day when I walk on a plane I profile people - who might be a threat and who looks like they would help.

I can tell you this, if another plane is hijacked, "Let's Roll!" will be the battle cry of every passenger on the plane. 99% of the people in the cabin would storm the cockpit and overwhelm the hijackers. If that put the plane in the ground like it did on flight 93, that is a tradeoff the passenger are willing to make themselves. The hole world's response to a hijacked commercial airplane forever changed that day and will never go back to how it was before.

So, I think the Air Force will never have to shoot down a commercial plane.

If a private plane was some place they shouldn't be and were not responding to commands, then I say put them down. I work in the aviation industry and I can tell you all the pilots, private or otherwise, that I know are hyper sensitive about 9-11 and the airspace safety ramifications that came out of it.

Just my $0.02

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
....... If a plane is on a treadmill ................ If my aunt had balls ? ...... If i would have followed bushes investments ...... All these are wonderful questions - Just What is the right anwnser ????? don't think there is one - its all a play by play!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I know for sure they frown on it when you get to close to the space shuttle. Back in 91 I was getting my pilots license and doing so solo flying when low and behold I see the space shuttle being piggybacked on a 747. Well I decided to fly on over and get alittle better view. Bad move. I was greeted by a couple of F16's or something like that, so I immediatly made a evasive turn away from my new heading and shagged ass as quick as my little cessna would go in the opposite direction. :)hand

·
PB Administrator
1,205 Posts
If the plane is responding then obviously all the military will do is scare the shit out of the pilot and everyone else on board as well. Simply having a helicopter with guns aimed at you is far different than having one shooting at you.

If not I think the answer is morbidly simple. Probably follow the plane until it is absolutely determined that it is inbound twoards a target and down it in the place that is going to cause the smallest amount of ground damage. If the plane is being used as a weapon everyone on board is dead anyhow.

Now with that said, here is what I hope has happened since 911. Large planes should have avionics capable of landing themselves in the case of an emergency as long as no one at the wheel is in any state to protest. I would hope that we have fighters equipped with the anti riot signal (the brown sound, or the one that makes your skin feel as if it is on fire). Possibly even better put an device on to the plane before hand. It will really suck for the people on the plane, but it is a lot better than being dead.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
This is no secret but Ameican Airlines has already started the testing of fitting certain types of it's aircraft with the "heat seeking missle pods", the main reason for the initial test period is to see how the "pods" handle every day use, the initial tests have been very positive.

The biggest threat to our skies is people at the small GA (General Aviation) airports not paying attention to whats going on at thier local airports. Many of those in the GA world are pretty much all knowing as to who has this hangar or that hangar. The GA world is usually pretty tight at most of the smaller airports. We in the FAA know this because they always seem to know when were on the field.

The other threat always on our minds is if some terrorist learns how to fly a G-III, IV OR V series aircraft, there big , fast and can carry a pretty heavy payload, the results would be just as horrific as if they'd used a 737.

That all said it's everyones job to always be watching in and around any airport or airfield, if you see something, SAY SOMETHING !!!, report it to the local authorites !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts