Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I bolted on the pan and double checked cam end-play >.005-.008

The question > should I block off the OE GM bypass where the filter mounts (or) leave it open as it's been all its life?
The oil cooler and remote filter system will have to come later.

Millings HV CNC pump and thinking about running 20/50 Brad Penn Dino or 'maybe' 15/40 diesel for the first few times out. Then 'maybe' Mobil 15/50 silver cap
.0025 mains
.020 rods

Heads, 049's with C.Straub recomended top-secret dual springs 175lbs seat & 450lbs over the nose at .600 lift

Pushrods should be here tomorrow.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
I personally like to filter 100% of the oil. keep in mind warm up time, and the outside temp where you boat at. since I boat when its hot and I allow plenty of warm up time it has never caused any problems.

·
Gone
1,824 Posts

The question > should I block off the OE GM bypass where the filter mounts (or) leave it open as it's been all its life?

Millings HV CNC pump and thinking about running 20/50 Brad Penn Dino or 'maybe' 15/40 diesel for the first few times out. Then 'maybe' Mobil 15/50 silver cap
.0025 mains
.020 rods

Heads, 049's with C.Straub recomended dual springs 175lbs seat & 450lbs over the nose at .600 lift

I suggest Nitro 70 Kendall maybe add a little 85/140 to live with those rod clearances.

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts
I suggest Nitro 70 Kendall maybe add a little 85/140 to live with those rod clearances.
That's mud not oil. :)sphss
20/50 is the most you want with those clearances, 10/40 would be even better. If the oil can flow, it can't lubricate or cool. I would ditch the petrol base for a good synthetic like Amsoil dominator.
Run a high end filter too, several out there. Amsoil Ea, K&N, Wix, and purolator pure to choose from.
Ditch the stock bypass, the filter has it's own. :)hand

·
Engine junkie
142 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I've used an adjustable external bypass with the oil pump spring removed, and replaced with a dowel pin, used to lock the pump at full pressure. This allows me to set the oil pressure where I want it, and it maintains it. Is there anything wrong with doing this?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
That's mud not oil. :)sphss
20/50 is the most you want with those clearances, 10/40 would be even better.
Should have known..........:)sphss:)coffee
ZOOOOOM! That was so far over your head you didn't even have to duck:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
I've used an adjustable external bypass with the oil pump spring removed, and replaced with a dowel pin, used to lock the pump at full pressure. This allows me to set the oil pressure where I want it, and it maintains it. Is there anything wrong with doing this?
I've sort of done the same thing in the past...I've taken out the plug and tapped the hoile w/ fine threads and used a bolt with a jamb nut that. That way I could adjust the spring pressure. I made an oil pump dyno that I ran on my drill press and adjusted oil pressure that way.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts

.0025 mains
.020 rods

Heads, 049's with C.Straub recomended dual springs 175lbs seat & 450lbs over the nose at .600 lift

am i missing something,175 seat pressure and 475 over the nose with a hyd.roller. plus this thing wont ever see high rpms.:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb

please fill me in.thanks travis

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
am i missing something,175 seat pressure and 475 over the nose with a hyd.roller. plus this thing wont ever see high rpms.:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb:)bulb

It's a heavy OEM valvetrain. . .3/8" valves.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I've sort of done the same thing in the past...I've taken out the plug and tapped the hoile w/ fine threads and used a bolt with a jamb nut that. That way I could adjust the spring pressure. I made an oil pump dyno that I ran on my drill press and adjusted oil pressure that way.
oil pump dyno s cant be trusted some read high and then people start selling oil pumps based on big numbers that cant be used in the real world. sorry i had too.:)hand:)hand:)hand:)hand:)hand
pump #[email protected] of pressure
wheres morg.:D:D:D:D:)grn

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
oil pump dyno s cant be trusted some read high and then people start selling oil pumps based on big numbers that cant be used in the real world. sorry i had too.:)hand:)hand:)hand:)hand:)hand
pump #[email protected] of pressure
wheres morg.:D:D:D:)grn
That is good stuff right there. Top notch, top notch

Plus it is true..............j/k :)hand

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It will when I put a 'D' impeller in it! :)sphss

1 - 20 of 27 Posts