Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
IAFF 1014
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Advantage sr 21. Last year i dropped in a new 509 (B and D marine in El monte did an amazing job!) around 600hp range. It currently has a 1.5 bravo 1 stock drive with a 4 blade 24p prop. The boat runs awesome! all around great performance. Hits 83mph at 5800 -6000 rpm, pulls a skiier, cruises around 3200 rpm and turns on a dime compared to my old 3 blade 23p prop.
My question is if it is worth adding a 2" shorty lower unit to a V-hull? will i get increased top end being able to increase the pitch on my prop? will i loose the ability to pull a skier and all around lake use? The sr21 had bad prop walk (chime walk) with the prior 454 and i added dana 1000 planes to correct that when i replaced the engine. Will i again have to worry about prop walk by changing my x dimension?
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Depending how deep the prop is now, you could see an increase by raising it. Good news is, if a -2" was too shallow, you could always add a spacer. The classifieds on offshoreonly.com, always have used shorties for sale.

Darrell.

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Hi Scott. Glad the engine is running good. Give me a call after the Holidays and I can go over all the changes you will see and what will need to be done with a shorty on your boat.

·
IAFF 1014
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds good brian. Cant say enough good things about the motor. It is alot stronger than i ever thought it would be. I will swing by the shop after the holidays so we can talk about the changes. Have a great Christmas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts