Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,
We have 4 acres. about 2 1/2 - 3 acres is cross fenced pasture.

We have no animals, but previous owners did. Our new neighbor, a renter, just came over to see about boarding her 2 older horses here on half of the pasture.
She said she would do all the care, fix the electric fence, and provide a "portable" shelter for them.
Here is the thing, her house she is renting has grazing area, a lot less than ours. Her landlord has 4 horses of his own that will remain on that property, therefore no room for her horses.
Debbie and I are pretty much against it. We do not want to open ourselves up to any liability, and we also don't care much for people on our property at all.
Are we being "paranoid"? Any body out there do anything like this?

She looks like a MAJOR tweeker on looks alone, can't weigh more than 80 lbs., maybe 50 YO, but can't really tell due to the tweeker look, but seemed nice enough.
Maybe if she was a property owner I might consider it?

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
Have a lawyer draw something up? ;)

You should already have a healthy liability insurance policy if you are a property owner. I even have a substantial umbrella policy. :)

·
HELL OF A GUY
3,137 Posts
OK,
We have 4 acres. about 2 1/2 - 3 acres is cross fenced pasture.

We have no animals, but previous owners did. Our new neighbor, a renter, just came over to see about boarding her 2 older horses here on half of the pasture.
She said she would do all the care, fix the electric fence, and provide a "portable" shelter for them.
Here is the thing, her house she is renting has grazing area, a lot less than ours. Her landlord has 4 horses of his own that will remain on that property, therefore no room for her horses.
Debbie and I are pretty much against it. We do not want to open ourselves up to any liability, and we also don't care much for people on our property at all.
Are we being "paranoid"? Any body out there do anything like this?

She looks like a MAJOR tweeker on looks alone, can't weigh more than 80 lbs., maybe 50 YO, but can't really tell due to the tweeker look, but seemed nice enough.
Maybe if she was a property owner I might consider it?
go by what your gut tells ya,we have horses and i wouldn't do it;)

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clearly you want us to tell you to not do it.

OK. Don't do it.

If it's not something you want to do, it will always bug you.
You are right Tom, I just feel kind of selfish not doing it.
Oh well, if I wanted Horses here I would have my own. There must be a reason she rented a place that could not accommodate her horses.:)bulb

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
...If you had horses,...two more to pasture might not be an issue...

...If she looked like a duck and walked like a duck she might be a duck,...right???...

...Tell her you ran it by an Uncle/ Son In Law,..whatever,...who is legal counsel for the DEA,...and for unspecified reasons, he advised you against it...

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Sure why not make some extra money. When I owned horses I provided the property owner a 1M liability policy and all was good. Work out the details and get paid.
In fact, I'd love a spread where I could do a horse retirement facility...get 6-10 horses that owners don't want to kill but retire them to a nice place where they get good care and can live out their days in pasture. Hire an amigo to feed every day and help supervise when I'm at the river or on vacation.

·
Young Junior Member
319 Posts
yeah... **** that...tell her to tell her land lords to get their horses off her property....she rents it.... not the horses!....once a tweaker always a tweaker....

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
I wouldn't do it, unless you needed the extra income. I am assuming she has offered to pay you. We just went through this with Jeff's cousing. Her place she was renting got sold and she had to go move into an apt. So she brought her animals here. The dogs barked non stop in the kennel, so I had to ask her to take them away. Plus, the one was really mean, if you recall. Would try to eat me through the fence (aussie). Then, she continued to bring the mean dog over when she comes because it's fine when she's around (it was). However, it bared it's teeth at some kids that were over and I had to be the bad guy again and tell her that the dog could not come back. She said she was going to pay me for water and gave me a whopping $100 for a year and a half of water. I had to ask every time. The plus side is I didn't have to mow or disc this year because the goats kept it down and the horsed did their share and she would feed the dogs and cats when we were gone. But overall, it was not a good deal. Her kids (4 of them ages 3-10) would just walk into my house, ask for waters, milk, whatever, use the bathroom, finger up my freshly cleaned windows, etc. Thankfully, about 6 weeks ago they got a place with property. I know they are family, but it still got old. I can't imagine if it was someone I wasn't related to and cared about. Like I said, I wouldn't do it unless I needed the money. I'd rather spray for weeds. Already have a new towable sprayer ordered from Northern :D

Oh, and the kids threw the water bottles and trash all over the property and all the horse crap and trash that was supposed to be picked up two weeks ago is still there.

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Ok ..here's what ya do ... buy a copy of 1000 uses for horse meat ..and have it your your hand when you ask her .."just how many horses do you want to leave here" If that doesn't sway her from wanting to put them on your land..go out and buy a lime green spandex suit and a lil buckeroo western deal ..ya know with the pistols, the holsters and the hat with the whistle! Don said kit over the lime green spandex suit and start singin " I wanna be a cowboy ...and you can be my cowgirl" at the top of your lungs ..while holding a copy of " 1000 uses for horse meat" ...hope this helps!

·
Canatard
3,341 Posts
Hooli, why don't you tell thatguy about your similar experience?

You know, when your cousin came by with a horse trailer and said he didn't have anywhere else to keep his horses. You told cuz to bring a horse around. After grabbing a 5 gallon pail from the side of the house, you sated yourself in the hind end of the horse. Then you shook your head and said, "I don't care for this horse. What else do you have?"

All of a sudden, cuz had the cash to board his horses elsewhere. Kudos to you, Hooli. :cool:

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts
Hooli, why don't you tell thatguy about your similar experience?

You know, when your cousin came by with a horse trailer and said he didn't have anywhere else to keep his horses. You told cuz to bring a horse around. After grabbing a 5 gallon pail from the side of the house, you sated yourself in the hind end of the horse. Then you shook your head and said, "I don't care for this horse. What else do you have?"

All of a sudden, cuz had the cash to board his horses elsewhere. Kudos to you, Hooli. :cool:

I thought we agreed..you don't bring that up..and I won't mention the incident! :mad:

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
go by what your gut tells ya,we have horses and i wouldn't do it;)
x2! horses pull grass out by their roots, strip the land. cows bite off the grass so it can keep growing. the land that horseshoes my land is a horse ranch. when i was a kid it had the most beautiful pastures on it, now after 10yrs of horses, its blackberry thorn bushes and there's no good grass on the land anymore, everyday you can catch a horse with his head extended as far as he can threw my fence trying to get to my good grass.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought we agreed..you don't bring that up..and I won't mention the incident! :mad:

Do Say on.:)bulb

BTW, thanks everyone for the responses, am calling her in a minute with the bad news.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Run Tommy, run......This situation just sounds like aggavation down the road. Always gonna be problems even if things go fairly smooth. I personally don't care for people on my property either, especially that close to the house.....Then you must factor in the potential of her "friends' coming to visit. For some reason these people always have some "idiots" for friends. It will be bad of enough having them next door.

There will be borrowing which is something I really hate. And then they will see you have tools and boats and other "neat stuff" they always wanted to get, or had, or just wanted......:|err

Whole lot easier to say "No" now, than have to deal with getting rid of 'em once they've taken "root".......

JUst the opinion of a grumpy old man that has been there, done that....;)

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Run Tommy, run......This situation just sounds like aggavation down the road. Always gonna be problems even if things go fairly smooth. I personally don't care for people on my property either, especially that close to the house.....Then you must factor in the potential of her "friends' coming to visit. For some reason these people always have some "idiots" for friends. It will be bad of enough having them next door.

There will be borrowing which is something I really hate. And then they will see you have tools and boats and other "neat stuff" they always wanted to get, or had, or just wanted......:|err

Whole lot easier to say "No" now, than have to deal with getting rid of 'em once they've taken "root".......

JUst the opinion of a grumpy old man that has been there, done that....;)

Thanks Tex,
I just called her and told her no. She was pretty dissapointed and started trying to change my mind. There is a Lady at the head of our road that has about 6-7 acres that is in the boarding business. Her acreage is WELL groomed and set up with perfect cross fenced grazing and irrigation for each horses "lot". She always has up to 6 horses there, with blinders, each in there own 1/2 acre run. Room for up to 10 horses or so, full stables and Barn, and a couple hands working every day.
I recommended that she go talk to her and her response was that she could never afford that quality of care.

Says it all right there, poor boy renters with out the resource to care for animals that they should not have in the first place....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts