Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week, I spoke with two boaters that thought that limiting the size of a boat on their local waterway was a better idea than regulating speed. I know that Canyon Lake regulates both the boat's size as well as speed. Several other lakes in CA regulate speed. Richard Miller was involved in a nasty lawsuit with the state of Alabama a couple years ago which we (boaters) lost.

I can remember in the early 90s when a 26' Nordic was a big boat at the Windsor launch ramp in Lake Havasu. After a lengthy discussion, and no clear answer, I told them that I would poll our members.

Opinions?

G

·
This past week, I spoke with two boaters that thought that limiting the size of a boat on their local waterway was a better idea than regulating speed. I know that Canyon Lake regulates both the boat's size as well as speed. Several other lakes in CA regulate speed. Richard Miller was involved in a nasty lawsuit with the state of Alabama a couple years ago which we (boaters) lost.

I can remember in the early 90s when a 26' Nordic was a big boat at the Windsor launch ramp in Lake Havasu. After a lengthy discussion, and no clear answer, I told them that I would poll our members.

Opinions?
I don't believe that limiting size on Havasu would be a good thing. Maybe on some of the small lakes in CA, but not Havasu, Mohave or Mead. JMHO.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
As a Texan with friends who attend Havasu events, I say no way. Maybe on small limited access lakes with heavy population but Havasu isn't the case.

Just another attempt by small special interests to try and regulate a much larger segment of the population and take away rights from folks that actually spend money and support the area.

In the case of the 2 in the initial post, they aren't thinking straight.

The AL lake in question was a much smaller lake and more of a fishing venue if it's the case I recall. Whole different type scenario.

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
DONT GET ME STARTED................big lakes (mead)i have no problem with...but ...
the river nothing over 24ft :p:p:p

i was at lake elsinore a while back and the guy had a 42 fountain with capsule cockpit//cmon thats is so stupid on that little lake he was running wide open..you cant tell me at 100 mph + he could see all thats going on with the lake.......

my 2 cents if its a offshore boat it belongs offshore in the ocean......
ok now you can bash me..............remember im old school..go easy;)

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I say no way! It would really hurt the economy of Havasu if that happened. I think they should limit boats under 20' to weekdays only. :)devil:)hand

DONT GET ME STARTED................big lakes (mead)i have no problem with...but ...
the river nothing over 24ft :p:p:p

i was at lake elsinore a while back and the guy had a 42 fountain with capsule cockpit//cmon thats is so stupid on that little lake he was running wide open..you cant tell me at 100 mph + he could see all thats going on with the lake.......

my 2 cents if its a offshore boat it belongs offshore in the ocean......
ok now you can bash me..............remember im old school..go easy;)
It certainly is very nice to be able to go take a boat out to Elsinore just to test it out which is probably what the guy in the Fountain was doing that day.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Havazoo I say no, but nothing over 24ft. above the Pirate and I would be happy:D
x 1000000000000000000000.. And 24' would be pushing it!!;)

For the record, I believe that once they regulate one thing, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to keep introducing new ones.. Even though I hate big boats on the river, I would rather have them there than have the government's hands in the mix!!!!

·
Unhyphenated American
1,938 Posts
Hell no they should not regulate size on the lakes or rivers. How would all the rich people show off how cool they are by running their 30' 130 mph cats in Parker in front of all the small boat losers:rolleyes:

·
Registered
544 Posts
x 1000000000000000000000.. And 24' would be pushing it!!;)

For the record, I believe that once they regulate one thing, it makes it a hell of a lot easier to keep introducing new ones.. Even though I hate big boats on the river, I would rather have them there than have the government's hands in the mix!!!!
Yea, I agree with you. But at least one good thing has come out of this shittyyy economy.....less and less of those ocean going barges are running up and down the river....lot more floating and parking at the Pirate.:D

·
Registered
672 Posts
I say limit the wake size...I don't care if someone wants to waste their money on a 40' boat that seats 4 people...but I get pissed as hell when some wakebarge churns the river for their entertainment at the expense of everyone else.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I say limit the wake size...I don't care if someone wants to waste their money on a 40' boat that seats 4 people...but I get pissed as hell when some wakebarge churns the river for their entertainment at the expense of everyone else.
I think this is a big part of the problem, I would put money on the fact that these boats put out a much bigger wake than a 42' Fountain or 40 Skater does.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.