Performance Boats Forum banner
41 - 60 of 134 Posts

·
Scarab Racing
214 Posts
Realistically how fun is a huge boat on a river??? If they tried to limit boat size I would be pissed and would bring my boat just to spite them. I am not going to go and try to troll around on a 10 acre lake though. If you have a 19' boat and are sick of getting beat up while on the lake, go buy a bigger boat. :)devil

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
My take on it is if you have to come off plane to make a turn on that stretch of river you're too big...I've seen several big offshore boats up on the river that had to throttle down to idle, crank those twins to turn around, then get back on plane...In my opinion thats too big, The lake itself well why would u need bigger then a 50 mystic on the lake

oh and jet ski's should have their own lakes. :D

·
Registered
20,053 Posts
NOTHING OVER 21 FT ON THE PARKER STRIP.NO ROLL BAR BOATS AND NO PWC...:p
NOW IVE JUST REVISITED THE 60'S 70S,FLATS, HYDROS AND SOME 18FT JETS...:grin:
AHH THE GOOD OLD DAYS....
NO NEED FOR LIMIT ON LAKES LIKE MEAD,HAVAZOO.MOJAVE OR THE OCEAN

·
Registered
109 Posts
This past week, I spoke with two boaters that thought that limiting the size of a boat on their local waterway was a better idea than regulating speed. I know that Canyon Lake regulates both the boat's size as well as speed. Several other lakes in CA regulate speed. Richard Miller was involved in a nasty lawsuit with the state of Alabama a couple years ago which we (boaters) lost.

I can remember in the early 90s when a 26' Nordic was a big boat at the Windsor launch ramp in Lake Havasu. After a lengthy discussion, and no clear answer, I told them that I would poll our members.

Opinions?
I've got a better idea: Limit the regulations.

Pesky Varmint

·
The King
1,107 Posts
Where's the Poll?

This thread would be (a little bit) more "scientific" if it included a poll.

I think the orginal question was 'should lakes limit size OR speed'?

If it's about safety, then speed limits are the answer. Probably not a bad idea going up river. It get's pretty crazy heading to Moabi on thw weekends during the summer.

I agree that we are already OVER regulated, but there are always more than a few assholes that ruin it for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
It's true that we are over regulated already. However as speeds increase and some drivers make poor judgements, lawsuits and the cost of insurance will force more regulation.

Waterways are the last great frontier for legal unadulterated speed, but for how long, if we as a whole don't employ common sense at the risk of others also having a good time.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No.

State and Federal waterways are OUR property.

Reminds me of the Nazis in Monterey that tried to tell me I could ride a California state registered motorcycle on 17 mile drive a decade ago. Not the guardshack guys call.

Does it make sense to bring a 35 footer on the lower colorado probably not. Thats up to you and your lower unit and prop repair budget though.

Privately owned lakes like canyon lake etc- well you get what the board votes and have to live with it.

Uncle Dave

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Back in the 80's my Nordic was one of the larger boats on the lake. I recall no more than 200 boats on the lake during Memorial Day!

My issue is with larger (30') plus boats operating on the river at 70+ MPH, driving by my 22' boat. A speed limit on the river should be looked at.

As a second thought, serious consideration should be given to a speed zone limit near
Site 6.

I know everyone will cry if they place on limit, more will follow. That being said, way too many collisions and deaths occur in the area. I have personally investigated insurance claims in this area for rollovers to avoid another boat, PWC death, and many minor damage claims most related to speed and inattention

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Back in the 80's my Nordic was one of the larger boats on the lake. I recall no more than 200 boats on the lake during Memorial Day!

My issue is with larger (30') plus boats operating on the river at 70+ MPH, driving by my 22' boat. A speed limit on the river should be looked at.

As a second thought, serious consideration should be given to a speed zone limit near
Site 6.

I know everyone will cry if they place on limit, more will follow. That being said, way too many collisions and deaths occur in the area. I have personally investigated insurance claims in this area for rollovers to avoid another boat, PWC death, and many minor damage claims most related to speed and inattention
Got to get rid of stupid people some how,,,lol. No limits period, don't like it then don't go there,,,,,stay home!

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Yes, no boats under 24', and none over 40'. No, wait, make that 29' and 30', so i can have the lake to myself. NOT

Havasu is big enough to handle larger boats. Common sense, which seems to be in short supply sometimes, would keep anyone from trailering in a Spruance class destroyer (~400'), but we taxpayers should be able to run what we brung.

If they restricted size, would they get rid of the Dreamcatcher and Jet Boat Tours? Those are the worst offenders on the lake, and I can't see them stopping those businesses from operating.

41 - 60 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.