Performance Boats Forum banner
81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Marine Organism
12,743 Posts
I wonder what you guys with the big boats would think, if some truly huge boats came to your lake and started swamping your boats....I guess you'd say "Cool! I'll just pack up and go home....cause it's over for me".....You guys are truly magnanimous.....I mean, I want to be able to go boating, but you say "Suck it up, buy a big boat or get out of the way little boy!!" Truly considerate of others....
You know what they say... The ballers get large boats to make up for the "short comings" of their man hood. ;)

Let's see what kind of reaction we get from that! :)grn :)hand :p :p :p :p :D

·
Just Me
4,107 Posts
I don't think the size of the boat is the problem. It's the size of the ego that needs to be limited. On the Mississippi there is room for some pretty good size boats and even the tow boats don't cause the wake problems that one person thinking it's all about them causes. They don't think the rules apply to them, lord only knows the no wake buoys aren't meant for them. And the ones in the hot boats that think only about how great they look doing a fly by are no better.

You don't need new rules, we need the current rules enforced. And if enforcing the current rules cramps your style, maybe you're style should be rethought.

·
Registered
233 Posts
No.

State and Federal waterways are OUR property.

Reminds me of the Nazis in Monterey that tried to tell me I could ride a California state registered motorcycle on 17 mile drive a decade ago. Not the guardshack guys call.

Does it make sense to bring a 35 footer on the lower colorado probably not. Thats up to you and your lower unit and prop repair budget though.

Privately owned lakes like canyon lake etc- well you get what the board votes and have to live with it.

On the topic at hand I see no reason to limit boat size or speed on big lakes or the river. If you boat can go there you should be able to take it there. A little more common courtesy from all boaters would go a long way to quite this type of discussion.

Uncle Dave
Dave Believe it or not the 17 mile drive is private property owned by the Pebble Beach Company. So it is there call who gets to ride on it, not different than inside the gates of Canyon Lake.

Not saying I agree, just stating the facts. Guard shack guy was just doing what his boss told him.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
"It's the Size of the EGO..." THAT is the problem, definitely; Be COOL, not bad-azz...a good case in point; We see the youngsters driving like maniacs, trying to prove themselves in their 4Cyl cars....I have a neighbor who has a '98 Z28 who was doing the same thing- I told him, "Everyone knows your car is fast, you don't have anything to prove".....get control of your ego....

The colapse of the economy has had one benefit for me; Used to be, I had to be off the Delta by 9am because the wakebarges started in making it just miserable...Huge waves and loud (c)rap music....and they actually think they are impressing my friends and I by driving right around us.....Now, most of them have gone away...only the real boaters are still out there, and THEY know how to handle themselves and their boats.

It is sad that the only way to get this problem under control is thru economic colapse....:)coffee

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
I wonder what you guys with the big boats would think, if some truly huge boats came to your lake and started swamping your boats....I guess you'd say "Cool! I'll just pack up and go home....cause it's over for me".....You guys are truly magnanimous.....
I mean, I want to be able to go boating, but you say "Suck it up, buy a big boat or get out of the way little boy!!" Truly considerate of others....
Your making an assumption that just because some have bigger Boats than others, They somehow are automatically jerks. I'll agree that some are, But theres equally as many small Boat owners that lack the common courtesy necessary for a safe and enjoyable boating environment for all.

I would bet, that like myself, most bigger boat owners have owned smaller boats in the past, and have "graduated" to larger Boats because of personal preference or safety and comfort reasons. Not just because they want to be a jerk and make a bigger wake.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
The problem is, a lot of the "Big Boat" guys are just out of control egos with legs....instead of being cool, they try to be "Bad".....and....that's uhmmm......bad.

So, to reiterate, we will basically, functionally, ban small boats from ALL lakes, but at least the big boys will still be able to do what they want, on any lake.....

I was up at Trinity a few years ago and a guy owned a 30+ fountain.....every weekend he would run it from Cedar Stock to Trinity Center.....that's it....that's a lot of fun on a boat.....:)sphss
We took our 24' Cheetah to Trinity a few years back, and it was one of the biggest on the lake; definitely the most colorful, and the only "custom" boat. Nice lake, but it only took a few minutes to go from one end to the other. The fishing was excellent, though.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Trinity still supposedly holds the record for small mouth bass; We boat camped from '65-'78 there, and caught a lot of fish...back then the limit was 10, and I caught mine a number of times; My Father was an excellent fisherman....we would get over to the Papoose arm @ 6:30, and fish until 8am, which we called the Three 8s....8 O'clock, 80* water, 80* air...time to ski 6 miles back to camp(and get mad if a fish jumped, because that was the only wave..).
We would catch 30 fish from 2 poles, and need 3 people in the boat to be legal. Once had a Bald Eagle come down and catch a fish 20 feet from the boat.
My Father caught 23 fish in 1:15 one time, while the other guy caught only 4....my father tried everything to get the other guy to catch 'em; swapped rigs, depths etc....When he had to stop("Arm's killing me!") he turned to his friend and asked if he wanted to continue...."Hell no!! I never want to go fishing with you again!":D

By the way, the fishing gene must have skipped me; I couldn't catch fish in a fish market....:)coffee

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
What a bunch of whining little bitches . Get a better job so you can get that big boat until then STFU
If I was a baller, i would still have a small boat, actually something in the 18' range with zoomies and a blower!

I've dealt with a lot of rough water on havi, but the only thing that actually almost put me at the bottom of the drink was that damn blue triple jet blue water cruise tour thing....I learned to steer clear of that thing....puts off some ginormous wakes!

If you're boat size challenged (like all of us jet guys), it's worth it to take the time off or do whatever and go during the week. Havasu is still do-able in a small boat during those times. Then on the weekend, hitch a ride with Killrtoy

·
AKA Blownjet 468
1,205 Posts
Your making an assumption that just because some have bigger Boats than others, They somehow are automatically jerks. I'll agree that some are, But theres equally as many small Boat owners that lack the common courtesy necessary for a safe and enjoyable boating environment for all.

I would bet, that like myself, most bigger boat owners have owned smaller boats in the past, and have "graduated" to larger Boats because of personal preference or safety and comfort reasons. Not just because they want to be a jerk and make a bigger wake.
:iagree::yourock::3: COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!:)devil

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
"It's the Size of the EGO..." THAT is the problem, definitely; Be COOL, not bad-azz...a good case in point; We see the youngsters driving like maniacs, trying to prove themselves in their 4Cyl cars....I have a neighbor who has a '98 Z28 who was doing the same thing- I told him, "Everyone knows your car is fast, you don't have anything to prove".....get control of your ego....

The colapse of the economy has had one benefit for me; Used to be, I had to be off the Delta by 9am because the wakebarges started in making it just miserable...Huge waves and loud (c)rap music....and they actually think they are impressing my friends and I by driving right around us.....Now, most of them have gone away...only the real boaters are still out there, and THEY know how to handle themselves and their boats.

It is sad that the only way to get this problem under control is thru economic colapse....:)coffee
I think there is a deeper problem here then the size of boats. Why do you feel the need to assume things about other people.
You never did answer my question about what is a big boat to you???

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Wait....wait.....am I supposed to have a man card......zhit! I must have missed that...

As for the zize of my manhood, I carry tweezers and a magnifying glass.....and still can't find it.....:)coffee.....:)sphss....:p

As for big boats, I fully agree that 90% of the big boat guys are cool...and considerate....It is definitely the few prick heads that ruin it for everyone else....I just don't like the attitude (Which I've run into a lot with the wake boys) that we're here, we don't have to be considerate, and you, old man, are stupid for not being cool like us, so get off the water and let us enjoy ourselves.....Most of them don't even know that getting the boat up on plane will save gas compared to plowing at 20 (when not boreding):)sphss

Big boat definition; Longer than 26 feet is big to me, but I grew up in the 60s and 70s, when most boats were 14-16 feet, then moving up a bit to 16-18 feet.....

81 - 100 of 134 Posts