Performance Boats Forum banner
101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
1,037 feet at the waterline, 4 acres or more of flight deck - that's big. Nuclear power is a plus, as are four screws. Little is 854 feet at the waterline, only two screws, a modified "D" type boiler. 28 gallons of DFM to the foot.

Everything is relative.

In the realm of privately owned boats, we started with a 16" jet that we only sold a year ago; it was actually faster at top end than my "baller" Advantage, and got to that top end quicker, but it couldn't pull my kids on tubes very well.

It's really more about courtesy and enforcing the current laws - the "London Jet" needs to be shut down, and wake boats need to find another puddle to play in if they can't play nice in ours. The "powers that be" who want to reduce the size of the boats are really saying they can't or won't take care of business now, because, I would imagine, it is too hard. Pull the London Jet over in the Gorge and give it a speeding or no-wake ticket. Stop the Dreamcatcher in the Channel for no-wake violations. Pull over a wake boat for a "no taste" violation (we can always dream).

But that's hard and requires hands on enforcement. It's easier to not let a big boat in the gate than deal with the real problem. It's kind of like guns is schools - it was never a problem for us to have guns, knives, whatever in school when i was a kid, because the teachers were hands on with discipline. Nowdays, there will be someone who reads this post and goes into apoplectic shock because I had a gun in my truck at school. I left it unlocked, too. The teachers were hands on, they knew the kids, knew the parents, and I didn't dare mess up.

I don't know what happened in the time between my HS graduation and now, but enforcement of the rules was the standard back then, and now it doesn't seem to be. Make a new law instead to penalize everyone for the bad behavior of a few.

·
Ralphs club member
886 Posts
No ! ! ! !

Size of the boat has nothing to do with how its operated. Look at jet-ski's......smallest thing on the lake, and often are the worst driving A**holes on the water! I would wager that PWC's have been the cause of every close call i've had on the water in the past 10 years. Not everyone drives them irresponsabily obviously, but you see my point....its the operator thats the problem. If everybody followed the rules of the water, and had a small sack of common sense, the size of the boat would be irrelevant, as you wouldn't have a situation to deal with in the first place. Do we really need yet another regulation to make up for people's lack of common sense? The lady who sued McDonalds for their coffee being hot probably thinks so...

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
Size of the boat has nothing to do with how its operated. Look at jet-ski's......smallest thing on the lake, and often are the worst driving A**holes on the water! I would wager that PWC's have been the cause of every close call i've had on the water in the past 10 years. Not everyone drives them irresponsabily obviously, but you see my point....its the operator thats the problem. If everybody followed the rules of the water, and had a small sack of common sense, the size of the boat would be irrelevant, as you wouldn't have a situation to deal with in the first place. Do we really need yet another regulation to make up for people's lack of common sense? The lady who sued McDonalds for their coffee being hot probably thinks so...
X2

I forgot that when I go to DS it is pack like a holiday weekend. I feel safer that weekend more than any other.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
X2

I forgot that when I go to DS it is pack like a holiday weekend. I feel safer that weekend more than any other.
Good point - fast, high dollar boats, and no problems.

·
Scarab Racing
214 Posts
I don't understand why so many people are bitchin. When you go to buy a boat, you buy what fits your needs which includes where you boat. When you search for boats you have to take into account the size and quantity of boats that are on the water now days. You can't buy a 18' Hydro and take it out on Havasu on a busy weekend and complain about the boat traffic creating too much chop for you. Its not 1980 anymore. Buy a boat that fits your needs.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Rather than limit size... every state should have a Lake A$$hole. All a$$holes would be forced to go to only this lake!

Such fun they would have pissing themselves off!

·
Lovin' IT!
857 Posts
As a constitutional conservative I don't believe the government agencies should limit anything having to do with our pursuit of happiness but, if they did I'd like to see that limit wake size. They should also look at keeping river lice on the river and off the lake...

I'm just kidding Parker people..;)

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
Size is basically the least of the problems in regards to safety. One of the most popular boating venues around is Clear Lake, TX which connects via channel to Galveston Bay. There's every size and type of boat imaginable operating in this area on weekends. And guess what type of watercraft is typically involved in the majority of incidents.......PWC's and small center console fishing skiffs with drunks at the helm trying to outmanuveur other boats and causing havoc 'cause they just don't know what they are doing.

·
Registered
20,011 Posts
I don't understand why so many people are bitchin. When you go to buy a boat, you buy what fits your needs which includes where you boat. When you search for boats you have to take into account the size and quantity of boats that are on the water now days. You can't buy a 18' Hydro and take it out on Havasu on a busy weekend and complain about the boat traffic creating too much chop for you. Its not 1980 anymore. Buy a boat that fits your needs.
you also need to fit the needs of the waterways.....

does a 36 ft offshore boat need to be on the river (parkerstrip) NO
why would you,when havasu is right there...wide open water for you..
makes no sense to me but im ol school...its not the 70/80's anymore
its the yr of the biggest blingiest loudest music rules the water ways now..
i quess i just dont get it...if i had a nice big boat i would be all over mead,havasu,mojave even ..i quess we used to race up and down the river trying to be the coolest in my days now its cruise/park in the biggest boats to be the coolest
ahhhhh thats my 2 cents........im old..everything changed...:deadhorsejz2:

·
Scarab Racing
214 Posts
you also need to fit the needs of the waterways.....

does a 36 ft offshore boat need to be on the river (parkerstrip) NO
why would you,when havasu is right there...wide open water for you..
makes no sense to me but im ol school...its not the 70/80's anymore
its the yr of the biggest blingiest loudest music rules the water ways now..
i quess i just dont get it...if i had a nice big boat i would be all over mead,havasu,mojave even ..i quess we used to race up and down the river trying to be the coolest in my days now its cruise/park in the biggest boats to be the coolest
ahhhhh thats my 2 cents........im old..everything changed...:deadhorsejz2:
I agree with you, to a point. I am not going to run my boat in a place where all my wake is going to do is damage others property. There is no way I would put my boat in at the Parkerstrip. But I can assure you that I will take it up to Topock and Moabi. But I will be courteous and come off plane if needed, just like everyone should.

There are more people in this world that are going to complain more about loud boats vs. large boats. I am sure almost everyone on here would bitch if they started to get real stricked on noise, myself included. Everyone is ok with taking away from someone elses freedom and fun untill it starts to effect them.

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
I agree with you, to a point. I am not going to run my boat in a place where all my wake is going to do is damage others property. There is no way I would put my boat in at the Parkerstrip. But I can assure you that I will take it up to Topock and Moabi. But I will be courteous and come off plane if needed, just like everyone should.

There are more people in this world that are going to complain more about loud boats vs. large boats. I am sure almost everyone on here would bitch if they started to get real stricked on noise, myself included. Everyone is ok with taking away from someone elses freedom and fun untill it starts to effect them.
:)devil:D

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I think people have gone beyond being reasonable ...at lake Havasu for instance , I don't like being behind a huge medium duty truck pulling a 45 ft boat , trying to get into a gas station , blocking traffic and all islands as he tries to fill his tanks , next is the logistics of this big boat getting to the launch ramp ...Lake Havasu is just not set up for huge boats . I know big boats have a WOW factor , but please consider other people around you .

101 - 120 of 134 Posts