Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was aggressively working on the 21 foot Liberator project. As I was looking for parts I discovered this TX-20 in Tx. Now I've seen
a million used boats and I chalked this one up to having 10-20 owners, 40-50 extra holes, you know the drill. The more I thought about it...hmmm
stainless gunnel tanks, Dominator 12S, shoe and ride plate, inducer, Aggressor bowl, double drilled with a stuffer plate, droop and diverter. It doesn't take long for all those parts and labor to add up. Boat also has a Dorsey trailer.

Long story short, I made a new friend from Texas who basically gave me this boat. No, not as in free, but it is a beautiful boat that the previous owners obviously loved. Thanks Dallas!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liberator

Nice! I love TX-20s. You keepin' the lib?
Yea, just need more time to complete it. I started out buying this 20 just for the parts. It's just way to nice to part out. I'll give it up when I get closer on the Liberator.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, i hated to sell that boat but since the wife let me get a new Placecraft a didnt have much room to complain. Glad you like it, its the nicest riding tunnel (that wasnt a tank) that i've ever been in.:)

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, i hated to sell that boat but since the wife let me get a new Placecraft a didnt have much room to complain. Glad you like it, its the nicest riding tunnel (that wasnt a tank) that i've ever been in.:)
I agree with the TX-20 ride. Hey Dallas.... where have you been? Any progress on the PC?

The title of this post "Sidetracked by a TX-20" is the story of the second half of my life. But it does not stop there.... we could add to it.... "Sidetracked by a TX-20 and a 19' Daytona" and enjoying every minute of it.

Gear

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you!

Whomever invented the spiroloks, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you! I'd rather have a root canal!
If I could have found a set of those old "d" rings that used to come with TRW L2453's, I'd a used 'em.
Anyway, learned something new and I am grateful as I am sure they will NEVER come out....lol
Off to wash all the blood off of my "clean" motor.....lol. wow!
At least the lower end is done.:)

·
"BEER BUDGET RACING"
3,621 Posts
onalky:1584929 said:
Whomever invented the spiroloks, thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you! I'd rather have a root canal!
If I could have found a set of those old "d" rings that used to come with TRW L2453's, I'd a used 'em.
Anyway, learned something new and I am grateful as I am sure they will NEVER come out....lol
Off to wash all the blood off of my "clean" motor.....lol. wow!
At least the lower end is done.:)
Yeah they are rough, im guessing you didnt have to take them in and out a few times like i did

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More progress!

This project started accidentally when I found this boat. It just so happens that my son, Tristan, was taking small engine repair in high school. I thought
it neccessary to show him how we used to do it! So, here we go! Thought we'd start with a blown 500 ci BBC and then move on to a turbo motor later for another project.
Yes, son, the gas tanks have to come out to be drained and cleaned. Yes, son, we have to rewire the boat for our application. Yes, son, we have to pack the wheel bearings, put new wood in the seat bottoms, change the rail kit, fit
the engine, adjust the valves, check the torque, double check the torque and test fit every single piece of aluminum on the boat if we don't have to make them that is!

Then, we can learn how to use Helicoils to repair striped threads on the place diverter.

.........and no, you can't go to the movies or hang with your friends, this is YOUR project.....lol

.........only 400 man hours to go!

Attachments

·
small member
1,480 Posts
This project started accidentally when I found this boat. It just so happens that my son, Tristan, was taking small engine repair in high school. I thought
it neccessary to show him how we used to do it! So, here we go! Thought we'd start with a blown 500 ci BBC and then move on to a turbo motor later for another project.
Yes, son, the gas tanks have to come out to be drained and cleaned. Yes, son, we have to rewire the boat for our application. Yes, son, we have to pack the wheel bearings, put new wood in the seat bottoms, change the rail kit, fit
the engine, adjust the valves, check the torque, double check the torque and test fit every single piece of aluminum on the boat if we don't have to make them that is!

Then, we can learn how to use Helicoils to repair striped threads on the place diverter.

.........and no, you can't go to the movies or hang with your friends, this is YOUR project.....lol

.........only 400 man hours to go!
That is to cool! not only what he learns will be priceless but the family time spent on it to:thumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts