Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 460 in my Jet boat is running a Tunnel Ram with a single 800 Holley carb.

The previous owner included a section for the intake that will allow me to run dual quads.

Other than looking badass is there any reason to run 2?

I know more air/fuel means more power, but under normal usage will it make any difference poerformance, fuel economy, etc?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Dual quad TR on a stock 460;

1) You will look way cooler!

2) You will burn more fuel.

3) You may go slower.

Jocko

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
uh oh... The popcorn is out.

I know I can search other people's posts but often find their info doesn't really apply to my own situation.

I had assumed that running two carbs would use more fuel so I believe I will just go with the one. I am not racing anyone but myself anyway. have a good day.

Thank you!

J

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

1) You will look way cooler!

2) You will burn more fuel.

3) You may go slower.

Jocko
How do you burn more fuel at the same part throttle rpm if the air/fuel is correct??
How do you burn more fuel at WOT and go slower if the air/fuel is correct.

I have heard this multiple times from the dual 4bbl T ram experts, but never given a reasonable explaination how this happens.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
471 Posts
Running a tunnel ram intake with the adapter and a single carb is not a good idea, it was never designed to be run that way, if you are going to run one carb. get a intake designed for that, or put 2 carbs on the tunnel ram.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have specified that I have the correct top portion of my intake for both single and dual quads.

I have the single part on now, but have the dual quad upper to change out if I want.

J

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, I am not aware of anything that has been done to the lower end, but the previous owner told me the cam was significantly wilder than the previous one and that the heads had been worked over extensively, including being adapted for BBC roller rockers?

I don't know how much difference any of that makes, but there it is. My friend that built the engine is going to look for the Cam Specs so I would know what I have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How do you burn more fuel at the same part throttle rpm if the air/fuel is correct??

I have heard this multiple times from the dual 4bbl T ram experts, but never given a reasonable explaination how this happens.
Your right, its a ratio and if set up properly it should be relatively the same. You might notice a slight increase in fuel consumption due an extra accelerator pump shot and if running two double pumpers its a lot of fuel on the hit.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The 460 in my Jet boat is running a Tunnel Ram with a single 800 Holley carb.

The previous owner included a section for the intake that will allow me to run dual quads.

Other than looking badass is there any reason to run 2?

I know more air/fuel means more power, but under normal usage will it make any difference poerformance, fuel economy, etc?

Thanks in advance!
other than lookin bad ass ,,what other reason do you need?? single on a t/r looks gay.(and doesn't work well) I love mine on a 460.just sayin

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is something to be said for looking Badass...

What carbs are you running on your 460, how hot is the engine?

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts

Geez Bob, why you gotta take the fun out of every thread? First, I'm not an expert. Second, read what I posted........I never said anything remotely close to what you just typed. Third, I said you MAY go slower. Now you know as we'll as I that 90% of the lake TR setups are not running A/F correct. Thus, I stand by what I posted......you will burn more fuel and you MAY go slower.
Jocko

·
Registered
196 Posts
Geez Bob, why you gotta take the fun out of every thread? First, I'm not an expert. Second, read what I posted........I never said anything remotely close to what you just typed. Third, I said you MAY go slower. Now you know as we'll as I that 90% of the lake TR setups are not running A/F correct. Thus, I stand by what I posted......you will burn more fuel and you MAY go slower.
Jocko
is all about velocity port volume and fuel dropout if your not moving the air fast enough to hold the air fuel mixture in suspension your gonna run like crap if your engine is stock ish then don't throw a huge runner drag only tunnel ram on it go with a more appropriately sized manifold to match your combo its all about matching the parts you have

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Jocko

1) You will look way cooler! because nothing looks dumber than a single four on a tunnel ram. it's like wearing knee high black socks and wingtips with your swimsuit at the beach. it is the -one- thing that makes turbo's look good.

2) You will burn more fuel. because you obviously don't know crap about tuning carburetors and will have the afr way too fat through the entire operating range. in fact, nobody knows how to tune two carbs on the same manifold and they all run way too fat. it's a wonder they run at all. don't know why anybody would waste their time installing two carbs on a tunnel ram because none of them can be tuned to a decent afr. they all run so fat that a black cloud follows them down the lake.

3) You may go slower. (see #2)

Jocko
does that about cover it for ya??? :happy:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Jocko
Jocko, 90% of the single 4 bbl aren't running the correct A/F

But you can't blame shitty fuel milage on a set of 4 bbls on a T ram. Nobody has even discussed carb size yet, and you have a tanker barge following this thing to keep it fueled.
If the fuel mileage is worse, its worse because the tuning, or the guy can't keep his foot of his toy.
If it uses more fuel at WOT, and its tuned right, that can only mean one thing and I'll let you guess what that is.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jocko, 90% of the single 4 bbl aren't running the correct A/F

But you can't blame shitty fuel milage on a set of 4 bbls on a T ram. Nobody has even discussed carb size yet, and you have a tanker barge following this thing to keep it fueled.
If the fuel mileage is worse, its worse because the tuning, or the guy can't keep his foot of his toy.
If it uses more fuel at WOT, and its tuned right, that can only mean one thing and I'll let you guess what that is.

more POWA :party1:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
There is something to be said for looking Badass...

What carbs are you running on your 460, how hot is the engine?
I run 600's and I installed a theromstate last year to GET some temp into my motor. I run in glacier feed ,very cold water here. I was running (acording to my gauge ) at 150ish steady

1 - 20 of 34 Posts