Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Gone in a Flash!
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one of the single plane BBC manifolds is best for a N/A 496 v drive lake cruiser motor? Alum. Rec. port heads.(310cc runner) I hear a lot of guys saying they like the DART manifold. Is this because it has a smaller plenum that helps boost carb signal at lower speeds 2000-3500rpm? Does a Dart manifold belong with Dart heads and a Brodix Manifold with Brodix heads?-etc. -Or is it back to just the best optimum combo of parts for the job at hand?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The Merlin has the beter midrange of he two, especially with a dominator carb. Up to 6200 rpm or so the Merlin is defenitly better. TIMINATOR

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
dart or brodix ;) you wont be sorry with either of these intakes.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
dart or brodix ;) you wont be sorry with either of these intakes.
yall got any standard deck single plane 4150 intakes fo sale bro? needing 1 for the turbo deal.

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Which one of the single plane BBC manifolds is best for a N/A 496 v drive lake cruiser motor? Alum. Rec. port heads.(310cc runner) I hear a lot of guys saying they like the DART manifold. Is this because it has a smaller plenum that helps boost carb signal at lower speeds 2000-3500rpm? Does a Dart manifold belong with Dart heads and a Brodix Manifold with Brodix heads?-etc. -Or is it back to just the best optimum combo of parts for the job at hand?
What is going to be your all out max rpm on this, 62-6400?

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
From what I've seen and heard, the Edelbrock is goign to have the overall power advantage, especially on top, followed by the Dart. I had heard in the past that Dart heads were made to work with their intakes, (or vice versa). I'm not sure how true that was, or if it was a rumor started due to a lot of mis matching (poor machining) going on. Just about every aftermarket intake is going to have it's differneces, and so are heads, as far as fit and physical compatability.

·
Gone in a Flash!
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max Rpm 6200-6400. -design parameters with the goal of a mid range motor with lots of torque.-not a top end screamer, yet not a barely warmed over stocker.-I posted this subject hoping to spark some discussion about the theory that goes into intake selection. After some original research, I was under the impression that a mid range motor would respond better to a tall dual plane maybe with a cloverleaf spacer.(ebrock airgap RPM) -Now after several conversations with knowledgeable people, there is a belief that the larger displacement motors (500"+) seem to like a open plenum single plane. Is this simply just because of the large volume of the cylinder coupled with free flowing ports? Or piston speed with a stroker crank? :)bulb-Sorry to be so full of questions, but I'm trying to learn so I'm not just throwing together a bunch of parts together.

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
From what I've seen and heard, the Edelbrock is goign to have the overall power advantage, especially on top, followed by the Dart. I had heard in the past that Dart heads were made to work with their intakes, (or vice versa). I'm not sure how true that was, or if it was a rumor started due to a lot of mis matching (poor machining) going on. Just about every aftermarket intake is going to have it's differneces, and so are heads, as far as fit and physical compatability.
Ever seen a dart that didnt need a bunch of work?:D:)hand

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Max Rpm 6200-6400. -design parameters with the goal of a mid range motor with lots of torque.-not a top end screamer, yet not a barely warmed over stocker.-I posted this subject hoping to spark some discussion about the theory that goes into intake selection. After some original research, I was under the impression that a mid range motor would respond better to a tall dual plane maybe with a cloverleaf spacer.(ebrock airgap RPM) -Now after several conversations with knowledgeable people, there is a belief that the larger displacement motors (500"+) seem to like a open plenum single plane. Is this simply just because of the large volume of the cylinder coupled with free flowing ports? Or piston speed with a stroker crank? :)bulb-Sorry to be so full of questions, but I'm trying to learn so I'm not just throwing together a bunch of parts together.
Pretty much yes to your questions...Single plane open plenum intakes are a little less responsive in tyeh midrange on non-stroked, under 500" big blocks, but get into the larger displacements and srtokers, and you're exactly right. Increased piston accelertion along with displacement make those intakes work much better overall. It's all based on signal to the carb.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
are we talking highway motors or jetboat mills:)bulbb/c last time i check a jet could give 2 f-s about midrange.:Dbut some will argue that point also.so if you argue this point, when was the last time you had to build rpm in your jetboat:)bulb

single plane on a jet boat all day:)grn

im sure the wilson edelbrock vic will beat all the others.but it will also break your damn checking account:plater travis

·
Registered
390 Posts
The computer dyno stuff I have ran with single plane over dual the single plane is better thru the entire RPM range from about 2500 on up over the duals. But the question was which single plane intake.... how about the victor jr for most boat stuff as its peak is not 8 grand like a lot of the others, and not many of us take a boat to 8.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
how about some consideration for the Edelbrock Super Victor or the Team G or the Weiand Stealth??...just my .02 cents :)

FastRat

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
are we talking highway motors or jetboat mills:)bulbb/c last time i check a jet could give 2 f-s about midrange.:Dbut some will argue that point also.so if you argue this point, when was the last time you had to build rpm in your jetboat:)bulb

single plane on a jet boat all day:)grn

im sure the wilson edelbrock vic will beat all the others.but it will also break your damn checking account:plater travis

i think u got confused :)hammers...the motor in ?? is in a V-drive!!!...also...depending on what u want to do with ur jet boat...IMO, a dual plane is much better overall, especially the RPM Air Gap :)

FastRat

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
i think u got confused :)hammers...the motor in ?? is in a V-drive!!!...also...depending on what u want to do with ur jet boat...IMO, a dual plane is much better overall, especially the RPM Air Gap :)

FastRat
not confused i said jet boat,not v-drive they are more like a car than a jet:)

the air gap is okay.oh well good luck and im sure no matter what choice you make it will be fine for you,not really single plane all day:p

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Since your not looking for a max effort deal just good all around peformance I think I would steer you towards a Vic Jr or a Wieand. Good overall intakes for around $200, won't break the bank and will provide good power for a 496.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Since your not looking for a max effort deal just good all around peformance I think I would steer you towards a Vic Jr or a Wieand. Good overall intakes for around $200, won't break the bank and will provide good power for a 496.
Chris...
how about a lesser deal than the 496...say a 454 LS6 V-drive?...which 1 for all around performance? & what carb?

FastRat

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
Chris...
how about a lesser deal than the 496...say a 454 LS6 V-drive?...which 1 for all around performance? & what carb?

FastRat
For a 427 to 468 that is going to see no more the 6400 rpm and your really not after just top end, you want good power everywhere it is hard to beat the Air Gap style intake. A good 800 to 850 cfm flowing carb would be the ticket.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Era, as in Wieand Stealth?
If so that's what's on my 468, and will hope it's good to go for a 496 >save some ching;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts