Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI for anyone thinking of going this year,(smokin in the cove) it isn't happening. i called them to make sure all is ok for this year before i made plans and reservations. i was told it has been cancelled. they had problems with sponcership and fish & game, so no race this year, after 25 years of this event happening, sorry to hear it.:(

Tom

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
That is really sad. SITC has been one of the best races in the country. I really hope this is not the final answer on the deal. I have been performance boating in Arkansas for over thirty years with no problems at all. But this last weekend I witnessed another side of the situation and I can tell you that Ark Fish and Game at some lakes are totally against performance boating. I really think they are overlooking the economic impact that events such as SITC bring to areas such as Hot Springs. There are folks that drive and fly from all parts of the United States to attend this event. From what I understand, the merchants around most of the lakes desire the visitation by performance boaters as it makes a difference to their bottom line especially during a depressed economy. I can assure you if SITC does not take place this year that the impact will be directly felt and measurable.

I really think whomever is making these decisions need to look at the overall picture and reevaluate any decision or decisions that have been made.

·
Registered
877 Posts
That is really sad. SITC has been one of the best races in the country. I really hope this is not the final answer on the deal. I have been performance boating in Arkansas for over thirty years with no problems at all. But this last weekend I witnessed another side of the situation and I can tell you that Ark Fish and Game at some lakes are totally against performance boating. I really think they are overlooking the economic impact that events such as SITC bring to areas such as Hot Springs. There are folks that drive and fly from all parts of the United States to attend this event. From what I understand, the merchants around most of the lakes desire the visitation by performance boaters as it makes a difference to their bottom line especially during a depressed economy. I can assure you if SITC does not take place this year that the impact will be directly felt and measurable.

I really think whomever is making these decisions need to look at the overall picture and reevaluate any decision or decisions that have been made.
You hit the nail on the head.Economic impact exceeds $250,000. Game and fish took over the park. Non profit venders only on their property. Legal paperwork we cant even begin to understand.Glen and I are streched to the max just to run our businesses. Sponsership dollars are non existant and even if we had a bunch of spectators we got no where to put them . The economic and political times are changeing and this is a perfect example of something that unfortunately cannot continue on its present course.

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
Shit !! I'd trade all the races for SITC

·
Registered
441 Posts
Bummer,One of the few venue's I wanted to see before I croak. The next I want to see is Ming or Elsnore NJBA. I can't afford to race. Been to to the wold finals and really liked the access to the jet racers. I would imagine the smaller events would have been even more fun.

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
You hit the nail on the head.Economic impact exceeds $250,000. Game and fish took over the park. Non profit venders only on their property. Legal paperwork we cant even begin to understand.Glen and I are streched to the max just to run our businesses. Sponsership dollars are non existant and even if we had a bunch of spectators we got no where to put them . The economic and political times are changeing and this is a perfect example of something that unfortunately cannot continue on its present course.
Glen and Scott,

If this is the final answer.... well, I would like to take a moment to "Thank You" guys for the good years. 25 years of hard work and effort that built SITC to be one of the more premier and elite races in the country. I have personally watched you and know it was a great personal commitment of many to make it happen. I can only wish the situation would change. If there is something individual racers can do, just let us know.

Again.... THANKS.... it was GREAt while it lasted.

Gear

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Damn I wanted to run this venue, Hope they can find an alternative location for the future.

NJBA even moved there schedule around so some of the NJBA members could attend.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
this is starting to happen all over.

Tiger thanks for doing what you did every year and it was a lot of Hard work that i don't think very many understood at all!

i got to see some of it First hand last year.

Gear most of the Arkansas Game and Fish just plain Suck when it comes to Performance boating.

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
this is starting to happen all over.

Gear most of the Arkansas Game and Fish just plain Suck when it comes to Performance boating.

What is interesting to me is how the staff at some lakes work hand in hand with you for everyone to have a good and safe venture at the lake or river and they realize the value of working with a group for a common cause, versus the staff at other lakes that act as if they do not like you being there and put some blame on your group as they claim you attract trouble. In most of the cases that there may have been trouble, the trouble was with folks that were "not with the group". Much more can be accomplished by working together as the lake or river staff and the group can participate together in enforcement of safety, etc.

As a secondary effect, the group outings also bring a level of commerce to the area and most of the local merchants understand this. I don't know why some enforcement groups get on a power offense or defense trip or something and fail to work for the overall good of their community, especially in a depressed economy. Recently, I had an enforcement officer, who had found nothing wrong with me or my rig, tell me that the jetboaters brought trouble all over the lake. That we had bad Karma. Now first as a Christian, I do not believe in this Karma stuff. I then talked with him about my life experiences on the lake. He then apologized for grouping all the trouble on the lake as our fault and even said they had actually not had any problems with the jetboaters that weekend, but that the jetboaters attracted the trouble. Folks wanting to see us run were underaged drinking and such.

In this particular case, I would like to make three points. (1) We had a regatta permit to be on the lake and in the specific cove running our boats. (2) The local lake management and merchants ADVERTISED we would be running boats in the cove. (which I don't believe we asked for) (3) If we had a permit and were allowed to be there and run our boats, then it would have been to our benefit if the enforcement had been helping us with controlling all the other folks that were attracted by the advertising and event.

In a sense, the lake management is somewhat responsible for the damage to one of our jetters boats due to an uncontrolled boat laying a roller in the running area. And then they went code red on our jetter that lost his boat convinced he was drunk, which he was not.

I want you to know I am not going off on the lake management and enforcement and blaming them for what happened. What I am attempting to state is that working together can accomplish multiple goals and achievements. Working together can achieve a safer outing for all involved. Working together can achieve a safe running course. Working together can reduce the amount of alcohol violators. Working together can increase the commerce of the area. All in all working together achieves a safer and more enjoyable outing for all.

There are so many lakes and parks that are getting caught up in state and federal budget cuts that I would think these folks would want to work with us for a mutual common solution. Hopefully the above example was a remote case as I have been performance boating for over thirty years and had not run into this before.

I am sure there are other concerns that I may be unaware of or have not addressed. I am open to dialogue on how to make our performance boat outings safer and with better cooperation with the lake and river managment in all of our GREAT USA:)

Gear

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just want to add to my original post. This is a really sad time seeing this happen to the boating community. i was really looking forward to returning this year as i do every year i've done the event, this would have been my fourth time their. what has happened is a very good indication of how goverment and politics is taking away are freedom to use these area's that belong to the people, meaning you and i. this is a really good reason that we need to make sure that the polititians we put into office represent are views and beliefs. this body of water if for all to use, and if roping off this cove for one weekend a year is this big of a deal, to take away the enjoyment so many folk get from this event and not to mention the revenue it creates. if they, meaning beaurocrats (sp) feel this race causes some kind of damage or lack of use by some, they need to remember that this isn't a natural lake it is man made for what?? for there profit and gane (electricity), so let us at least enjoy it being their. i'll get off my box now, lets try to get this race back. if you have never been their or raced it you would be as passionate as i am. i want to win this race before i'm done racing.:)devil

thanks Glenn and Scott and all the rest for putting on such a great event for us to be a part of.
lets make it happen

Tom B.

·
"BEER BUDGET RACING"
3,621 Posts
Bad news for sure. We went last year for the first time and vowed we wouldnt miss it again. I already had vacation planned so my wife and I could attend.

Now as for the state officals stepping in an raising hell, its the same deal at our Boat Bash. You just can't make some of the older school personel understand there is a HUGE ecomonic impact on not only the surrounding community, but the state parks as well. And if its not all about money?? then what is it about? I can never get a straight answer out of any that I have spoken with.

As for the hot boaters that fequent our lake there has never been an injury (thank god!) in a jet or v-drive. There has however been a fatality on a jetski, yet they run around unchecked????

Anyway SITC was/is an awesome race and I hate to see it not happen.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
glen and scott, thank you again for creating and putting on the greatest sportsman race in the country. there is/was nothing else like it. that little cove is the perfect venue. the only thing better than racing there was sitting under the trees and watching. the people across the way, sitting on their porches seemed to enjoy everything that was going on, all friendly folks. the ramp workers there are absolutely the best anywhere. always the same guys, always "dressing for the occasion", having a great time and really taking care of you.
this just sux.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have been boating in Arkansas for my whole life, and i have had a jet boat of my own since I was a senior in high school. I personally spent alot of money last year to get my boat and gear ready, racing at Choteau, just to have a chance at running at smoking in the cove. I do have the opportunity to drive up there and run my boat since it is only 40 miles away, but, it will definately suck not having the race, I know for a fact it helps the local economy, i buy all my fuel, food, tools if needed, anything locally in Malvern when we go. Oh well, lets just hope the Arkansas law opens their eyes and realizes that just because we make alot of racket (no more than a V8 ski boat running up and down the lakes at midnight), we are still not as dangerous as the 16 yr old kids on jet skis getting injured, killed, and causing accidents across the state. I hope this isnt a turn for the worse in my passion of boating. These Arkansas Jet boaters are my second Family, and it seems we cant have a "family reunion" without the law impeding, or something bad happening, i hope we can all get back to haveing fun and being safe. Hopefully the local govt, and law enforcement will see the impact of pushing away the performance boat demographic, and more importantly the impact of not having this race! See you guys on the water!

·
Registered
23 Posts
the Arkansas Game and Fish is certainly on a power trip. I think the number of fatalities recently here in the state has them on high alert. What no one in power seems to get is in my time I have never heard of or seen a "hot boater" perform in a reckless manner as to cause harm to anyone else. however i have seen numerous bass boats, jet skis and other boats operate in a way that would and does cause harm to others. Anyway if the game and fish is intolerant of our hobby i will start being intolerant of theirs. every time i see a bass tournament and the morons heading out blasting across the lake with no regard for anyone else then i will call it in. everytime i see a boat acting in a "reckless" manner i will call it in. and i know it won't be "hot boats" cause there aren't enough of us out there to be that big of a nuisance . i have never personally been approached by an official but have had them give me dirty looks while sitting in a cove. Please give us back SITC this is what makes me smile every year.

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
I just want to add to my original post. This is a really sad time seeing this happen to the boating community. i was really looking forward to returning this year as i do every year i've done the event, this would have been my fourth time their. what has happened is a very good indication of how goverment and politics is taking away are freedom to use these area's that belong to the people, meaning you and i. this is a really good reason that we need to make sure that the polititians we put into office represent are views and beliefs. this body of water if for all to use, and if roping off this cove for one weekend a year is this big of a deal, to take away the enjoyment so many folk get from this event and not to mention the revenue it creates. if they, meaning beaurocrats (sp) feel this race causes some kind of damage or lack of use by some, they need to remember that this isn't a natural lake it is man made for what?? for there profit and gane (electricity), so let us at least enjoy it being their.
Tom B.
Well said. What we desperately need in this country is to severely restrain all levels of bureaucracy. There was a time (long ago) when gov't officials could rightfully call themselves 'public servants'. Nowadays they're all just wannabe dictators. Coming up with these bullshit edicts and telling us what we can and can't do.

·
Registered
877 Posts
lobbyists

the Arkansas Game and Fish is certainly on a power trip. I think the number of fatalities recently here in the state has them on high alert. What no one in power seems to get is in my time I have never heard of or seen a "hot boater" perform in a reckless manner as to cause harm to anyone else. however i have seen numerous bass boats, jet skis and other boats operate in a way that would and does cause harm to others. Anyway if the game and fish is intolerant of our hobby i will start being intolerant of theirs. every time i see a bass tournament and the morons heading out blasting across the lake with no regard for anyone else then i will call it in. everytime i see a boat acting in a "reckless" manner i will call it in. and i know it won't be "hot boats" cause there aren't enough of us out there to be that big of a nuisance . i have never personally been approached by an official but have had them give me dirty looks while sitting in a cove. Please give us back SITC this is what makes me smile every year.
Another nail in the coffin. Ar. Was the first state to require liability insurance for boaters. Several insurance companies don't offer even simple liability coverage for boats with over transom headers. When my then going on 70 year old father went to the insurance co. to ask why they informed him we didn't represent a big enough portion of their revenue to worry about us. Later I called th Ar. Insurance commision and was told to do 1 of three things. Sell my boat. Lie to the insurance co about my headers.or runillegal without insurance.We are a minority. We only attract attention in a bas way and it absolutely sucks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hear you on the insurance deal. Had to go to Markel to get mine covered and that was only after multiple pages of paperwork. State Farm, Farmers, Geicoand all the rest said no way. Even though none of my boats are anywhere near as fast as some of the big offshore crap they are insuring. Mine "looked fast" and that's why they wouldn't cover it. Still upset about all this. Wish I knew what to do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts