Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help/advice on the proper way to paint my skeg ,I know I am doing it wrong because the paint keeps peeling off . What is the process and what type of paint.?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well so much for a responce. I painted it with cold galvanized paint ,then a primer,sanded w/220 and then black gloss.It didn,t peel off ,one time out.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I know the guy's at Bobs, you know the nose cone guys. I saw in a post that they use the same paint that is used on BBQ grills, hey that's what I saw. And some other guys that install nose cones use the same stuff, off the shelf. I did the zink stuff too, and it came off after a few outings. I'm going to try some BBQ paint.

·
138 Posts
Cold galvanize paint will only stick to steel with any success. If you are painting it onto aluminum, you are asking for the two to separate.

I would sand down the bad paint, spray with zinc-chromate primer and then spray with the gloss black.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I need help/advice on the proper way to paint my skeg ,I know I am doing it wrong because the paint keeps peeling off . What is the process and what type of paint.?
Mercury sells a spray paint to match the paint on drives you should be able to find it at many boat shops,west marine etc.
I bought some at Alco several years back,but i'm sure West marine,Campbel boats would have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts