Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a drag that the one by-product of doing outdoor activities is freakin skin cancer.

They found something called actinic cheilitis on my wife. The doctors also gave us a ton a literature on it, and we've been reading stuff from different sites all weekend.

Looks like it can be treated or removed at this point. In fact they started her on a topical chemotherapy solution.

From what I've read, this is probably from years of abuse stemming from childhood. So those of you who have kids, it's never too early to get them used to applying sunblock.

While the disease is rarely fatal, it's still nothing to treat casually. From this point on, she will have to take care to use plenty of sunblock, and find shade where it's appropriate.

At this point I'm really considering getting out of boating, or buying a pontoon with lots of shade on it. Our style of boat isn't condusive to bimini tops.

I'm just dejected at this point with all this crap.

Anybody else have it or have any advice on dealing with it?

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
Damn Paul that sucks.. I hope everything works out for the best.

·
1,278 Posts
I have it..they cut the stuff out and your good to go...I have to back every year for a check up.Everyone i have talked to that has it says i'll have more and they just keep cutting it out . Probably doesn't help, but go un-treated and.... I put sun block on every day I'm outside...Good Luck...

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it..they cut the stuff out and your good to go...I have to back every year for a check up.Everyone i have talked to that has it says i'll have more and they just keep cutting it out . Probably doesn't help, but go un-treated and.... I put sun block on every day I'm outside...Good Luck...
Sunblock, sunblock, sunblock. Wish our parents would have pushed it on us as kids. You just don't take it serious until something happens.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
SORRY to hear of her findings ! That is the reason we had that gay bimini on our 26! My wife Leisa has two rounds of the docs carving out her forehead..NOT PRETTY! Biasal cell (sp?) I believe.....nasty stuff. She still has to do skin treatments twice a yr...its gross!

Keep her in the shade!

·
Registered
34 Posts
About two years ago I had a very small (1/4") mole that started itching, saw my family practice doctor who sent me to a dermatologist immediately. Two weeks later I was having full blown surgery to cut a 3" area out of my forearm to make sure they got everything. Scar has heald and you would never know it was that significant but it sure scared the crap out of me.

Here is what I know; the sun damage you have today was actually caused by excessive sun 15-20 years earlier. Also, there are no warning signs that it is going to happen. Point being, take precautions at all times. Will it reoccur... most likely at some point.

Before this I would apply sun block a couple of times a day (if I remembered), never wore a shirt or hat at the lake and thought it was great to have a healthy tan. Now sun block, hat and shirt or rash guard and definetly have the top up at all times.

Tell your wife to hang in there and everything will be allright with a few tweaks to how you dealt with the sun in the past.

·
Hotboat Chupas
178 Posts
What a drag that the one by-product of doing outdoor activities is freakin skin cancer.

They found something called actinic cheilitis on my wife. The doctors also gave us a ton a literature on it, and we've been reading stuff from different sites all weekend.

Looks like it can be treated or removed at this point. In fact they started her on a topical chemotherapy solution.

From what I've read, this is probably from years of abuse stemming from childhood. So those of you who have kids, it's never too early to get them used to applying sunblock.

While the disease is rarely fatal, it's still nothing to treat casually. From this point on, she will have to take care to use plenty of sunblock, and find shade where it's appropriate.

At this point I'm really considering getting out of boating, or buying a pontoon with lots of shade on it. Our style of boat isn't condusive to bimini tops.

I'm just dejected at this point with all this crap.

Anybody else have it or have any advice on dealing with it?

She wouldnt be on Effudex is she??? if so I know what she will be going through. I have had 2 treatments of this stuff. It is not fun and the most painful experience of my life!!

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She wouldnt be on Effudex is she??? if so I know what she will be going through. I have had 2 treatments of this stuff. It is not fun and the most painful experience of my life!!
Solaraze gel. Diclofenac sodium.

·
Hotboat Chupas
178 Posts
Solaraze gel. Diclofenac sodium.
yeah they treat actinic or solar keratoses.. I had the effudex cream. Different cream for the same shit. Sorry to hear it. At least she went now and not later. I had 5 spots frozen off then the cream at the age of 28. Then 4 years later had more actinic keratoses on my face and chest again. Dr prescribed the cream again!!!:|err Hard to build houses and work outside in this AZ heat and not be in the sun.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah they treat actinic or solar keratoses.. I had the effudex cream. Different cream for the same shit. Sorry to hear it. At least she went now and not later. I had 5 spots frozen off then the cream at the age of 28. Then 4 years later had more actinic keratoses on my face and chest again. Dr prescribed the cream again!!!:|err Hard to build houses and work outside in this AZ heat and not be in the sun.
I think at this point she doesn't know there will be any pain involved. I'm not going to say anything to her about it.:(

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
ALDERA is the name of the solution my wife is using... Eats the cancer off the skin cells... Want to see some pictures? :))eek:))

Squamous cell Carcinoma is what she still gets poping up from time to time.... its a real neat deal :)st

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
WTF bro, I had no idea! :|err

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm a five year survivor of cancer, melanoma. No doubt caused by many, many years of self abuse in the sun, the last 35 years in boating. Later, I wore a T shirt in the water, had my bimini up almost all the time, wore SPF #50 or better and spent as much time in the shade as possible. The Veterans Admistration checks me twice a year and I get a chest x-ray once a year. It got my attention. My advise to all you young guys is be cautious. Some will get it, most not. But if you have any questionable symptoms, visable or not, have it checked out...

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
Mrs Mb has been cut on at least a dozen times. A couple big re-excisions, and a mohs surgury once.

She lost her sis to melanoma so shes super careful.

Mrs Mb is in great shape and she is on it every 4 months at the Dr's office.

An ounce of prevention...is worth your life.

·
Hotboat Chupas
178 Posts
WTF bro, I had no idea! :|err
Yes sir. It sucks. I have pics somewhere. Its not pretty what the cream does to you. Lets say i wanted to kill myself 2 times in my life. 2 times being on that cream. The focking itching would never go away and got so bad i wanted to tear my face off. It was so purple and red, it cracked so bad an would bleed at night then stick to my pillow. Then comes the itching after the cream is done. You peel so bad. &%*$*%$*:mad::|err

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
that sucks to hear .... hopefully everything ends up being fine.

you guys are in our thoughts and prayers

hank and amy

·
Registered
587 Posts
that sucks to hear .... hopefully everything ends up being fine.

you guys are in our thoughts and prayers

hank and amy
No doubt. Best wishes to all of you. I've been at the river all my life, and didn't start wearing sunblock until my late teens. I've even been burned so bad that the skin blistered. Hopefully this isn't coming down the pipe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that. As much as your first reaction might be to sell your boat and keep your wife indoors, I don't think that is completely necessary. Especially if boating is a big part of your lives. I'm sure your doc gave you all the best info, but it would be a great idea to have her always wear a wide brimmed hat and those long sleeve blouses that are sun proof. They have a great selection on stylish ones at REI. And definitly want to have a boat with a bimini. I'd say that should be a must. Apart from wearing lip balm with sunblock, and body sunblock...make sure the sunblock contains titanium dioxide and/or oxybenzone. Very few contain both. As a matter of fact, the only one that I have found that contains both is Baby Blanket brand (obviously for babies- it has 2.6% Tit. Diox. plus 6% oxybenzone (can be found at babies r us). It seems odd because very few adult sunblock contain these. There is an Australian brand called Blue Lizard. It contains the greatest percentage of Titanium Dioxide. And as a matter of fact, the baby version of Blue Lizard, Baby Lizard, has even more (5% Tit. Diox. plus 10% Zinc Oxide). I force all of my family to use the baby version. Unfortunately not very many places sell it. I buy it CVS pharmacy, or you can order it online.

I'm sure you have already learned from your doc that less than 10% of cases develop into squamous cell carcinoma. So that is great. But still...take all precautions possible! :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts