Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down at the lake yesterday and my v-drive slipped out of gear when the water got a bit rough. I have a thoroughbred box in it, and my question is do these have an adjustment on them like the casale's do with the ball bearing on the shift arm? My toploader box has this with an adjustment screw so you can tighten it down on the ball to make it stay in gear, but this also make it harder to put in gear. Any info would be great. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
give JJ A CALL @ BEAVERFAB 972 438 2277 HE HAS A NICE LOCKING HANDLE & A BULLET PRUFF AIR SHIFTER. IM SURE YA ADAPT THIES TO YOUR BOX. ALSO IF THE SHIFT HANDLE IS NOT WERE YA CAN REACH IT YA MIGHT THINK ABOUT A MORSE LOCKING CABLE I GET MINE FROM CALIF. PUSH PULL IN CHICO. HOPE THIS HELPS! PM ME IF I CAN HELP, ANDY

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Drive dogs

Contact Bergeron over in Phoenix, or Steve McElroy in Orange county. Your drive dogs are more than likely worn out. My Aero did the same thing until Phil Bergeron delivered some dogs to Long Beach a few years ago. I changed the dogs, did nothing else, and the problem went away.........Ray

PS There are more than one type/size, so be specific when ordering.....

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Parts

Thanks guys that was one of my suspicions was the drive dog in the box being worn, I'll have to pull it and check them out:)devil
While you're in there check the bearings. They are available from just about any bearing house, as well as the seals. Remember, a v drive is always in "gear". The gears are always meshed together, it is the drive dogs that engage each other to make the connection. The "back cuts" on the dogs wear out and allow them to "skip" or disengage altogether.....I had a shift lever "latch" that held the arm fully in, but the bad dogs jumped out anyway......BTW, you do know not to jam it in gear while running, right?.....You must start the motor with the v drive engaged..........BTW#2, I am converting my hydro to a Casale 12* and might be willing to sell the Aero. It works great, with all new stuff inside. I say this just in case you find serious problems with yours.......Ray

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebuild

Thanks for the info Ray, I do start it in gear and I do believe it is my dogs. I've been running it for 3 years now with basic maintenance, lube changes etc, but I have never opened it to really look at the drive dogs, so I'm sure it's time for a good rebuild.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.