Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Slower Than You
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trip From Hell

Trip from hell isnt descriptive enough.Lets all go back to 3:30 in the morn Fri.Left Anaheim to drop my 5th wheel off in the mtns for the summer.91 to 5 interchange, CLOSED.:mad:Ok, ill get the 605 to 5.....CLOSED.:mad:Awww no biggie catch the 91 to 710......CLOSED!!!!:mad: Finally the 91 to 110 is open. Sign that i shoulda turned around an went back: Cruisin along the 110 when this FritoLay box van almost sideswiped me.I follow this retard an hes all over the road.So i call 911 an report it.Dude transitions to the 10 west.I see the CHP go fyin by.I call in again, saying he did aforementioned transition.I see the 110 to 5 North transition.I take the exit, cruisin along about 40,big long tunnel.See the exit.NASTY left/blind curve ahead.Slow down again.Round the curve and.......There is a FOCKIN DOG IN FRONT OF ME!!!! Brake, swerve (the sound of a 10,000 pound 5th wheel losing traction is a def s**t your pants moment) Bam! Right into the concrete wall.It was over in seconds.Sraightened it out and said holy shiat about a hunnert times.Truck is drivable.Pull on to the median,(just striped not raised.)Get out, first thing i hear is the door kink.I expect to see total devastation.To my suprise realtivly minor damage:dented/pushed in fender/bumper,broken headlight,dented hood(slight) and the kink in the door.Trailer:eek:verhang molding pushed down. landing gear pin bent(and as i later discovered) two:two inch wide by 1/4 inch deep divots in my brand new Maxxis.
Truck is drivable might as well continue.I was in such shock from the accident that it didnt dawn on me for awhile that i was driving illegally (one headlight) I get off on Magic Mtn Pkwy to wait for daylight.Continue checking truck out.All seems ok for what happened.CHP cruiser drives by goin to eat at Dennys, i wave, he waves back (i think).
Daylight comes.Take off up the Grapevine.Truck pulls perfectly.Fast foward to Hwy 168.Cruisin up a twistin gradual grade.Get to where 168 starts REALLY climbing.See smoke commin out the back of my truck.WTF??? Pull into a pkg lot at the b4 the nasty grades.Tranny fluid is pourin out of the vent.I call my friend/mechanic up where my destination is.He tells me to let the truck cool and proceed up the hill (from 2000 to 7000 ft) but slowly.Get halfway up the hill.Smoke is billowing out of tranny.Pull over, AND SEE MY EXHAUST PIPE ON FIRE! :))eek:))Try to use my cell phone to call AAA.Verizon messg comes on sayin to call, there is a prob with my acct? WTF?:):)punch:|err No there isnt!!! TRY 8 more times no service!!!!:|err So nhow i have to flag someone down.Bunch of sailors (AZZHOLES!!!!) jus keep on drivin.
Finally a couple on a Harley stop an let me use their cellphone.LONG story short.TWO and a half hours later, tow truck comes.Tows my 5th wheel to destination.I follow him..... TRUCK SHIFTS PERFECT.So i finally get to my destination.......Only to find that my trailer keys are no longer in my pocket.:|err:):)punch......

I will stop there.:)st

· Can't Member
96 Posts
That sucks, man...I have had days like that, too.
In my case, tho, they usually stretch into weeks or a month or two.
When I decide a stretch like that is getting going, I try to avoid working on anything mechanical, touching anything sharp, or engaging in anything to do with fire or electricity.
I hope things get better for you.

· Got Beer?
423 Posts
....There is a FOCKIN DOG IN FRONT OF ME!!!! Brake, swerve
The whole story is a bad experience but how is the dog?

I love dogs, I have two labs (That Love Havasu)..... HOWEVER

I learned at an early age ~ I do not swerve for dogs, cats, rabbits etc... deer, mule, horse or anything else large.. yes

But the owner of said Dog would no longer have it, and my truck would be fine other than minor front end damage.....

Flame on if you want, but when you lose a teenage friend because he swerved and hit a tree...due to a dog that always got out... sorry, my plan is to hold on tight!

· Desert Racing Widow
2,027 Posts
Wow! What a story. Talk about a bad trip. Thankfully (I know it's hard to look on the bright side) but thankfully, no one was injured or worse. I'm glad you're okay.

· Slower Than You
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a 90's Chev truck? if so see if the trans dip stick was replaced under recall to one that has a seal at the top.
No.250 Super Duty.The tranny heated up a little last yr, same trip.I got a bigger tranny cooler from shadow.I didnt have time to put it on.The bizarre thing is after heating up that bad my tranny now shifts perfect.(350 mi ride home.):)sphss

· Slower Than You
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I learned at an early age ~ I do not swerve for dogs, cats, rabbits etc... deer, mule, horse or anything else large.. yes

But the owner of said Dog would no longer have it, and my truck would be fine other than minor front end damage.....

Flame on if you want, but when you lose a teenage friend because he swerved and hit a tree...due to a dog that always got out... sorry, my plan is to hold on tight!
I never saw the dog again.After i pulled over on that median, i was so shook up i was thinkin of what COULD have happened.There is nothing but concrete marks on my truck.Everything that happened was pure reaction.

· Got Beer?
423 Posts
I never saw the dog again.After i pulled over on that median, i was so shook up i was thinkin of what COULD have happened.There is nothing but concrete marks on my truck.Everything that happened was pure reaction.
Yep.....understand that, that is the nice part of metal and paint...they can be fixed or replaced:D

· lol, right.....
1,138 Posts
Damn, sounds like one of our last trips to the river. Murphy was layin the smackdown on us for sure. All kinds of weird, stupid shit happened to us with the truck, the camper, AND the boat.... On our anniversary weekend to boot. :rolleyes: :D

Glad to hear it wasn't any worse for you, sure sounds like it could have been. :)st

· Already miss the 310/562
13,480 Posts

Hind sight is always 20/20... With that said I have learned the same thing over the years, animal in the road? Hold her steady, 99% of the time the animal will move... I live in the country where there are always *****, opossums, squirrels, rabbits, deer on the roads...
My neighbor friend yielded to a squirrel, lost control, went offroad, hit a tree, totaled out her new SUV and lost her two front teeth... OVER A DAMN SQUIRREL... Im an animal lover too but sometimes people DIE when you yield to the animal...

· mo balls than $cents$
11,635 Posts
Hind sight is always 20/20... With that said I have learned the same thing over the years, animal in the road? Hold her steady, 99% of the time the animal will move... I live in the country where there are always *****, opossums, squirrels, rabbits, deer on the roads...
My neighbor friend yielded to a squirrel, lost control, went offroad, hit a tree, totaled out her new SUV and lost her two front teeth... OVER A DAMN SQUIRREL... Im an animal lover too but sometimes people DIE when you yield to the animal...
:)devil

· Slower Than You
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
One last bizarre thing.How does my cell phone go from workin fine, to "there is a prob with your acct" back to workin fine again?Only did that when i was overheated on the side of the road.Tryin to call for help.WTF???:)sphss Oh, and a BIG thanks to the couple on the Harley who stopped to let me use their cell phone.(and patiently waited 30-40 mins while AAA jerked me around) Dude was a fireman.Godbless him and his wife.:)devil

· Premium Member
2,080 Posts
As mentioned, don't swerve for the dog when you have that kind of load.

2nd, the WORST thing you can do for the trans is to proceed slowly. Anytime the torque converter is unlocked (slower speeds, below 42mph and 1st or 2nd), the coolers only receive 1/2 the oil flow that they do when the TCC is locked up. The TC is using the fluid to drive the truck, thus making heat. Your best bet would be to accelerate quickly to speed and get the TCC locked up, then maintain that speed/lockup up the hill. If you can't make the hill in lockup, don't go up.

· Registered
1,554 Posts
Amen... I hit brakes, maintain control and hope for the best :)sphss

Its always on those rural roads too. I aint hitting no tree, they kill people :|err

Usually the tap of the brakes gives them enough time to do the bob-and-weave. :)sphss

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.