Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This plane just attempted a land on McKellips road just 1/3 mile from where I currently live and directly in front of my new neighborhood I am building in.

I went in my new hood and took these pictures from the front wall. The plane must have come down on the road, which can be busy, from the east landing towards the west and must have dodged a few cars. He hit an orange tree and came to a rest where you see it here.

It is about 25' shy of the exterior wall of my new community. I took these pics from the interior of my new neighborhood. Luckily my lot is in the back. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats it!!

you need to buy a lot somewhere else now. :|err:|err:D
Nope, I am in the back, all safe from that kind of stuff. :D

Here it is from the news. Looks like it was a student pilot. The power lines he was talking about are low ones too. My boat comes close to hitting them at the low spot.

Small plane loses power, lands near Falcon Field
Jim Walsh
The Mesa Republic
Mar. 18, 2008 12:43 PM

A plane with a student pilot and instructor aboard lost power during takeoff Tuesday morning, clipping off the top of orange trees before coming to rest against a curb just short of Falcon Field Airport.

Nobody was injured when the plane came down near McKellips Road and Val Vista Drive about 11 a.m. McKellips was shut down as the incident was investigated.

The 1973 Cessna 150L prop plane was damaged, but Mesa Police Detective Steve Berry, who also is a pilot, said the outcome could have been much worse.

"I would say he did an excellent job. You have an aircraft where the engine completely quit. You don't have a lot of height or air speed," he said. "Fortunately it turned out for the best."

The plane is registered to Blue Sky Aviation at Falcon Field.

The student pilot was identified as Clarence McAllister by an employee, Alex Snopek, who came to the scene.

"Their pride is hurt. Bodily, physically, they're just fine," Snopek said. "They're shook up."

He said McAllister's primary concern was to land safely without hurting anyone driving on McKellips. Another concern was avoiding power lines a short distance away.

"He's training. He's about finished for his license. He wants to be confident he's a good pilot," Snopek said.

The plane ran into engine problems about 100 feet in the air and the pilot decided to take it down in the orange grove to cushion the landing. The student pilot and instructor declined medical attention.

Alberto Razo, a farm worker who was picking oranges nearby, ran to help the occupants after watching the plane make a crash landing.

"It made noise when it hit the orange trees and it hit the road," said Jose Salazar, a junior at Red Mountain High School. "I feel kind of scared."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
The groves are nice if you don't have allergies:D Good to here it missed anyone on the ground.

·
Premium Member
3,136 Posts
This plane just attempted a land on McKellips road just 1/3 mile from where I currently live and directly in front of my new neighborhood I am building in.

I went in my new hood and took these pictures from the front wall. The plane must have come down on the road, which can be busy, from the east landing towards the west and must have dodged a few cars. He hit an orange tree and came to a rest where you see it here.

It is about 25' shy of the exterior wall of my new community. I took these pics from the interior of my new neighborhood. Luckily my lot is in the back. :D
Mike , Glad to see that everything is allright.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts