Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an article in the LA Times that the state is in the process of passing a bill that will require all motorycles from 2000 and later to pass a smog test. WTF?

What joke! I would say 90% of all bike owners change to an aftermarket exhaust system. This will end up hurting the MC industry from the mfg level down to the dealers in an already struggling market.

Then the leo will start cracking down on modified exhaust and removing/tampering with smog equip. Big $$ tickets. Gotta love California!!

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
The state is looking for money anywhere they know they can find it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They look for the easy targets. What about the thousands of 2 stroke leaf blowers and weed wackers that gardners run daily in this state? They left them alone because all the illegals cried thats how we make our living.

That pollution is ok but lets get all the people who own bikes. They stated that motorcycles make up less than 3% of the vehicles on the road daily.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Just read an article in the LA Times that the state is in the process of passing a bill that will require all motorycles from 2000 and later to pass a smog test. WTF?

What joke! I would say 90% of all bike owners change to an aftermarket exhaust system. This will end up hurting the MC industry from the mfg level down to the dealers in an already struggling market.

Then the leo will start cracking down on modified exhaust and removing/tampering with smog equip. Big $$ tickets. Gotta love California!!
can you post a link to the proposed law ?

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
Here is a link to the info on the bill. This bill is not about revenue as it is not worth much more than the cost of implementation. It is another attempt to placate the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT by showing that California is meeting the clean air standards that the US EPA has imposed on all states. Motorcycles without Catalytic converters (including all 07 and later Harleys) can legally have their exhaust systems modified (as long as the O2 sensors remain).

The real problem (and what needs to be brought forth) is the question of whether current smog check technicians or specially licensed motorcycle techs will be doing the test. I for one don't want Johnny Test Only removing body panels and what not off my bike to see if I have a power commander under the seat. Furthermore, the bill can be battled by stating that these so called illegal modifications are easily removed and re-installed so the long term benefit is almost zero.

Ultimately, if the bill goes through, Aftermarket Manufacturers will have to submit modifications to ARB for testing and approval as Harley does for their downloads etc).

The way to beat this bill is to demonstrate how ineffective it will be at meeting program goals as well as how costly it will be to implement.

It has passed through an important commitee but my predicition at this point is that it will eventually die.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_cfa_20090409_144808_sen_comm.html

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Here is a link to the info on the bill. This bill is not about revenue as it is not worth much more than the cost of implementation. It is another attempt to placate the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT by showing that California is meeting the clean air standards that the US EPA has imposed on all states. Motorcycles without Catalytic converters (including all 07 and later Harleys) can legally have their exhaust systems modified (as long as the O2 sensors remain).

The real problem (and what needs to be brought forth) is the question of whether current smog check technicians or specially licensed motorcycle techs will be doing the test. I for one don't want Johnny Test Only removing body panels and what not off my bike to see if I have a power commander under the seat. Furthermore, the bill can be battled by stating that these so called illegal modifications are easily removed and re-installed so the long term benefit is almost zero.

Ultimately, if the bill goes through, Aftermarket Manufacturers will have to submit modifications to ARB for testing and approval as Harley does for their downloads etc).

The way to beat this bill is to demonstrate how ineffective it will be at meeting program goals as well as how costly it will be to implement.

It has passed through an important commitee but my predicition at this point is that it will eventually die.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_cfa_20090409_144808_sen_comm.html
God, lets hope so!!:mad:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was my thought as well? Who will perform the test and will it be on a Dyno type machine as the cars are?

I sure as hell do not want some dirt bag even touching my Harley let alone throwing a leg over it and running it on a machine.

I sure hope the bill dies.

·
Registered
785 Posts
if 3 % of motor vehicles on the road are motorcycles,
how many of that 3 % are not compliant ?
even in modified form ?

seems like a moot point to even begin a test regiment on such a small ratio.

california = :)hand

U

·
0 Posts

It has passed through an important committee but my prediction at this point is that it will eventually die.

I agree with your prediction.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On another note, my co worker just got his registration renewal on his Harley and it went up almost 60% from last year??

California is really f-n the resident from every angle possible lately in this horrible economy. Thousands out of work and lets make it more difficult for peeps to survive. UNREAL. :|err

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
That was my thought as well? Who will perform the test and will it be on a Dyno type machine as the cars are?

I sure as hell do not want some dirt bag even touching my Harley let alone throwing a leg over it and running it on a machine.

I sure hope the bill dies.
If there is a tail pipe test it would be static only. However there have been no studies done to calculate baseline standards. The diesel inspection program will not have a tailpipe test. Only visual and scan tool.

Could you imagine what happens to the first tech that damages a 40,000 bike that belongs to a Hells Angel ?

·
MAMA TRIED
1,661 Posts
COMPLETE BILL HISTORY

BILL NUMBER : S.B. No. 435
AUTHOR : Pavley
TOPIC : Smog check program: motorcycles.

TYPE OF BILL :
Active
Non-Urgency
Non-Appropriations
Majority Vote Required
State-Mandated Local Program
Fiscal
Non-Tax Levy

BILL HISTORY
Apr. 27 Placed on APPR suspense file.
Apr. 17 Set for hearing April 27.
Apr. 15 From committee: Do pass, but first be re-referred to Com. on APPR.
(Ayes 7. Noes 3. Page 499.) Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
Apr. 13 From committee with author's amendments. Read second time.
Amended. Re-referred to Com. on T. & H.
Mar. 25 Set for hearing April 14.
Mar. 12 To Com. on T. & H.
Feb. 27 From print. May be acted upon on or after March 28.
Feb. 26 Introduced. Read first time. To Com. on RLS. for assignment. To
print.

You can see the History on these links below

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_435&sess=CUR&house=B&author=pavley

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_cfa_20090427_105342_sen_comm.html

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If there is a tail pipe test it would be static only. However there have been no studies done to calculate baseline standards. The diesel inspection program will not have a tailpipe test. Only visual and scan tool.

Could you imagine what happens to the first tech that damages a 40,000 bike that belongs to a Hells Angel ?
they will have their own people at smog stations:)devil

1 - 15 of 15 Posts