Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

We just painted our house. 3 car garage door used to be white. Changed the color scheme and now the door is dark brown. Its a non insulated door. When it was white it got warm inside the garage, now its friggin smoking hot, you can't even touch the door it gets that hot. House faces South so we get the afternoon sun right on the door.

Question is this. Can I put insulation on the door and will it help with the heat, or just bubble the paint off the door? if not, what can be done to cool it off (other than the obvious use a water hose or repaint it white remarks)?

We keep pets in the garage and a 12K portable ac isn't doing a damn thing now.

thanks RR

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can insulate it. I don't think the paint will bubble if it was applied correctly. We have a dark color door that gets hot too and we are in HELL as far as temps go. You can also buy an insulated replacement door which will get you the best R factor. The retrofit panels are not all that great but will help.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Just go down to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the insulation panels. They come in various thicknesses depending on the r value you want install. Your best best is buying the foam that has the aluminum foil on one side. Put that on the door side. It shouldn't take a moderately hands on person more than a couple hours to cut and install. You should be less than 125 dollars for all the foam and adhesive. It will make a huge difference it the temps you see inside. Good luck.

PS. The foam you will buy at hd or lowes will have a higher r value then what you purchase from the garage door manufacturer. It will also be less money.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

We just painted our house. 3 car garage door used to be white. Changed the color scheme and now the door is dark brown. Its a non insulated door. When it was white it got warm inside the garage, now its friggin smoking hot, you can't even touch the door it gets that hot. House faces South so we get the afternoon sun right on the door.

Question is this. Can I put insulation on the door and will it help with the heat, or just bubble the paint off the door? if not, what can be done to cool it off (other than the obvious use a water hose or repaint it white remarks)?

thanks RR
My parents had theirs color matched and it's factory insulated, they never had any problems with it. I must say that the door opening faces North, and the sun is never directly on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just go down to Home Depot or Lowes and buy the insulation panels. They come in various thicknesses depending on the r value you want install. Your best best is buying the foam that has the aluminum foil on one side. Put that on the door side. It shouldn't take a moderately hands on person more than a couple hours to cut and install. You should be less than 125 dollars for all the foam and adhesive. It will make a huge difference it the temps you see inside. Good luck.

PS. The foam you will buy at hd or lowes will have a higher r value then what you purchase from the garage door manufacturer. It will also be less money.
Sounds like a plan, guess I've got a project tomorrow. thank you!

·
Passin Glass
2,825 Posts

thanks RR

Ok this is what ya do:
cut your door into small enough pieces that they will fit in the freezer Once they are frozen reassemble the door. You may have to disassemble the door and refreeze the pieces then put it back together 45 times a day but it will keep the garage cooler!

hope this helps!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok this is what ya do:
cut your door into small enough pieces that they will fit in the freezer Once they are frozen reassemble the door. You may have to disassemble the door and refreeze the pieces then put it back together 45 times a day but it will keep the garage cooler!

hope this helps!
why didn't i think of that, damn. Hey, what if I just leave the freezer door open all day?

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy the disposable exacto knife they sell. They're usually about five bucks, and the blade will come out 3-4 inches. If you try to use a regular utility knife, you'll have those little balls that make up the panels all over the place. Not to mention the cuts will look less than attractive. If you don't want to glue the panels, get a roll or two of the aluminum foil tape. Its usually in the plumbing section next to all the ducting. Its less then ten dollars a roll. I suggest you do your install before it gets real hot. Makes for a much better attitude and finished product when the installer isn't dripping in sweat and just not generally pissed off. LOl.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Innovative Energy
8333 Demetre Ave
Sacramento, Ca 95828
1 800-442-3645

They do have a website. Foil on both sides. It knocked 10 degrees off my inside temp. Winter and summer. Three years ago it was $143.00 for 300 sq ft. Shipped it UPS. It saved my ass!!!!

My three doors face the west all afternoon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do yourself a favor and buy the disposable exacto knife they sell. They're usually about five bucks, and the blade will come out 3-4 inches. If you try to use a regular utility knife, you'll have those little balls that make up the panels all over the place. Not to mention the cuts will look less than attractive. If you don't want to glue the panels, get a roll or two of the aluminum foil tape. Its usually in the plumbing section next to all the ducting. Its less then ten dollars a roll. I suggest you do your install before it gets real hot. Makes for a much better attitude and finished product when the installer isn't dripping in sweat and just not generally pissed off. LOl.
Innovative Energy
8333 Demetre Ave
Sacramento, Ca 95828
1 800-442-3645

They do have a website. Foil on both sides. It knocked 10 degrees off my inside temp. Winter and summer. Three years ago it was $143.00 for 300 sq ft. Shipped it UPS. It saved my ass!!!!

My three doors face the west all afternoon
Good stuff. Thank you both. The Ferrets thank you too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I installed the kit foam easily a few years ago. Install tip- Soap up the last edge to get it the tighter fit. I took off one set of hinges at a time on the panels to aid the install. Took about two hours per side crusing. Does work but the evap cooler in the garage is even better. Good luck.

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts

This is exactly what we did at our last house and it worked like a dream! Took maybe an hour.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I drove the Rhino to your house, your truck was gone but there was a sweet blue HD between your house and your neighbors, that hot bike is what was heating up your garage!
That would be my bar hopper. Where the hell did I go?

Got the garage done today used 1 1/2" foam, huge difference, thanks guys.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have an insulated door atthe Surf City house, and inside the garage is warmer in the winter than the house. I would never buy a non insulated one again. Go for the retro kit.
Stucco box tract house came with noninsulated door, along with a ton of other tract features that suck. Thought about buying a new door, until $250K in equity went bye bye. So we'll make due with this one for now. So far huge difference in temps, we'll see what 4pm brings that usually the hottest time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have a friend that keeps a 300 gallon reef tank setup in his garage in Upland. He used the 4' x 8' stryofoam insulation sheets available at Home Depot & foil tape to insualte his garage door. He doubled the sheets up when securing them to the garage door. Tank in the garage used to hit 87-88 degrees during 100 degree days. Now it barely hits 80 degrees.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts