Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we pulled a valve cover and the #1 stud was snapped off and the #5 had a pushrod that ground through the rocker arm. what could cause this? this is the scond time snapping a rocker stud on #1 its a bbc

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
Pat, you've got something going on in the geometry. What rockers? What's the lift on the cam, type of cam, etc? Give as many details as you can.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Definately have some incorrect parts choices and/or set-up.

My first $5 guess with knowing no info yet - stamped steel rockers that aren't clearanced for the valve lift and the slots are hitting the rocker studs. :D 2nd guess, but just $3 this time, major valve float.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its has 049 heads, comp cam xm278 cam. stock rocker arms. not sure what springs are in it. going to order some new springs which i should have done to begin with.:)coffee

·
steelcomp was here
26,527 Posts
Get some rockers while you're at it.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a set of roller rockers that i got from someone on the boards i am going to install.:D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new arp studs, vavle springs and push rods on order:D should get them tomorrow. gotta love summit:)devil does anyone know the tool to change the springs while they are still on the heads?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ordered:D

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok now heres the big question. never done this before what do i need to check for?:)sphss

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
its has 049 heads, comp cam xm278 cam. stock rocker arms. not sure what springs are in it. going to order some new springs which i should have done to begin with.:)coffee
Stock rockers!!! They are only good for .525 max lift. the slots hit the stud and rocker splits. At th very least get long slots. Stock rockers with that cam, you found the problem BINGO. M

1 - 16 of 16 Posts