Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 572ci blown motor, 900hp on pump gas, in a 26' daytona that has about 50 hours on it, and has run flawlessly. The boat hasn't been used for four years. It has an MSD ignition. I had drained all the fuel at the time I parked it. I took it out this weekend after changing the oil and plugs and installing new batteries. After driving about ten miles the motor sneezed thru the carbs, and again after about five more miles. The only thing I did different this time was I blended in 15 gallons of 114 octain race gas, about 9 months old that I wanted to use up, with 50 gallons of 91 pump gas. Could this have caused a lean condition and caused it to sneeze?

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
99.9% of the time I see 'sneezing' thru the carbs is because there is something in the carb blocking one of the passages. EVen with empty bowls, I'd take the carbs apart and do a good cleaning. Including idle passages and air bleed holes.

I'm starting to deal with this more and more. I believe because 'toys' are sitting more and our fuel is not the same anymore.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
99.9% of the time I see 'sneezing' thru the carbs is because there is something in the carb blocking one of the passages. EVen with empty bowls, I'd take the carbs apart and do a good cleaning. Including idle passages and air bleed holes.

I'm starting to deal with this more and more. I believe because 'toys' are sitting more and our fuel is not the same anymore.
Yep, that makes good sense.... Thanks

·
Registered
3,869 Posts

x2 I dont really believe in draining the bowls for months at a time simply cause things dry up. I prefere to leave alittle fuel in and clean prior to refire! Now due to dry bowl or blocked air passage you will probably need to tear down the carbs and blow out all the ports to get rid of the gremlin in them. If it is popping back thru the carbs it is most likely a lean situation and the air bleeds will be the problem. IMLAO

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Blocked air bleeds will make it run lean?:)eh:)

although I agree with Ol Guy about draining the carbs, sometimes it just doesn't matter. In a garage in a Havasu, there no fuel in the bowls after about a week anyways. The best you can do is drizzle some Marvel Mystery oil into the carbs while it is running. Then when the fuel evaps away, it will leave behind an oily coating. Any water at all in the fuel will be the last thing to evap, and it can leave behind calcium and other solids that wreck havoc.

Most of the time the problem lies right here. I seen it so badthey needed to soaked in Lime Away, or CLR.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had the same thing happen over the weekend. Ran bitchen on friday evening took the old lady out for the maiden voyage for about 30min or so and the next day i loaded up the boat, launched it and as soon as i got on the gas poof throught the carbs and it did it 3 times before i said phuck it and got a tow back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts