Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am new to the jet boating world and I am wondering how much a snoot would help my overall performance? I have a 79 taylor sj with a 505 Chevy, stainless ( I think b impeller) it will twist 6k. It also has a placediverter and its in the jf berkley pump

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
If it has a 12je pump a je shoe and ride plate kit along with a properly trimmed je loader will do more for mph.been there done that with same boat.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what type of speed did you see out of your boat? when I bought this boat I wasn't expecting it to pull near as hard as it does and was really suprised. I haven't used a gps on it yet but the previous owner said it would do 92 but I didn't think so. I have only held it wot for about 4 sec and it feels like its skipping across the water so its fast enough for me but there is always faster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O its a JF pump and it has a ride plate and im ignorant so i dont know what a shoe is yet. I can upload some pics if it will help?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
i am very doubtful about the 92 MPH, maybe 82 with the wind and current, 70s in an SJ is fast. Good boats :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
i would save the few hundred bucks that a droop costs, and buy gas and beer and enjoy!
Domino effect if you want a droop, you have to buy a different bowl, then you will want to high rooster tail for fun, then you buy wedges,
run the J pump, with the diverter, maybe add a loader

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
i am very doubtful about the 92 MPH, maybe 82 with the wind and current, 70s in an SJ is fast. Good boats :))THumbsUp
X2. Best i cld get ouzza a sj was mid 80's on the bottle hangih alot of shoe and loader.jf and je r same pumps, f pump jus has factory trim.i agree buy a loader trim it to keel and use the rest for beer n gas.btw i ran my sj with a one piece bowl no droop

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
X2. Best i cld get ouzza a sj was mid 80's on the bottle hangih alot of shoe and loader.jf and je r same pumps, f pump jus has factory trim.i agree buy a loader trim it to keel and use the rest for beer n gas.btw i ran my sj with a one piece bowl no droop
I just now thought about this but do you remember what RMP you was running in the mid 80's? Thanks for the advice it really helps

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here's one I made by cutting a standard Berkeley adapter in half. Then inserted a 6" nominal pipe in between that I tapered. I added the thick flat stock for strength. No porpoise, and the steering is awesome. I made it a bit longer than the norm typically seen in production. My boat rides really nice with it. I am not running a wedge and it just works, good. Cost me $50 and some time.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's one I made by cutting a standard Berkeley adapter in half. Then inserted a 6" nominal pipe in between that I tapered. I added the thick flat stock for strength. No porpoise, and the steering is awesome. I made it a bit longer than the norm typically seen in production. My boat rides really nice with it. I am not running a wedge and it just works, good. Cost me $50 and some time.
You did a great job on that! Thanks for the input

1 - 14 of 14 Posts