Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Written in the LA Times today from the Associated Press, Salt Lake City -

Snowmelt will raise half-empty Lake Powell 50 feet, opening a popular shortcut for boaters for the first time in five years, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation said.

The Castle Rock Cut - still a stretch of exposed rock - will let house boats get to beaches and Rainbow Bridge National Monument more quickly from Wahweap Marina by shaving a dozen miles off the trip.

The peninsula is expected to be covered by enough water for boating by mid-June.

"Thats a big deal, especially with gas prices now" said Debbie Crick, who stopped going to the reseroir years ago because of low water levels. She plans to return with her boat regularly to camp now that water levels are rising.

Crick, who owns a cafe in Sedona, Ariz., first ventured out on Lake Powell in a 53 foot house boat in the 1960's. Many house boats now are much bigger and get as little as 3 miles to a gallon of fuel, she said.

It will take about four months for Lake Powell, the 186-mile-long reservoir that straddles Utah and Arizona to rise by 50 feet, A bureau of Reclamation spokesman said. Eventually, Castle Rock Cut should be coverred by as much as 20 feet of water, said spokesman Kevin Schneider of the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I'll be there for 2 weeks starting the 1st week of May. Always a great trip. I guess we will be tightening anchor ropes each day with the water going up. Only 3 rules on our Houseboat,,no kids, no pets, no woman. Hey it's a drinken, fishin, skiing trip and some cocktail cruises in between.

·
Banned
4,957 Posts
Snowmelt to aid boaters--heat to aid the evaporation. Back to the cycle. ;)

Is this a public drinking water supply or is someone leaving the dam open? How about closing it? :D

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know if I will make it this season, however my thoughts are still there for a trip in '09. I just have not done any more than talk and think about it yet. time for me to get on it and make it happen I guess.

·
Box Pimp
2,260 Posts
I'll be there for 2 weeks starting the 1st week of May. Always a great trip. I guess we will be tightening anchor ropes each day with the water going up. Only 3 rules on our Houseboat,,no kids, no pets, no woman. Hey it's a drinken, cuddling, fishin, skiing trip and some cocktail cruises in between.
:))eek:))

:)gay:(

:p

·
Got to get In da Wind
821 Posts
I dont know if I will make it this season, however my thoughts are still there for a trip in '09. I just have not done any more than talk and think about it yet. time for me to get on it and make it happen I guess.
Get while you can, maybe another 5 years before the cut opens. Hopefully not. The Cut open will make Powellfest all that much better this year.

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts
I thought they were going to dredge the CRC this April. Since the comment period is over I haven't heard any thing.
The National Park Service has given the go ahead to do this work. Rumor has it that Aramark is petitioning to make the contract for a 5 year period so they don't have to go through the enviromental impact statement period every year.

There were like 2300 comments in favor of blasting and dredging the cut vs. approximately 260 against.

·
Displaced Azian
783 Posts
Sort of hard to visualize just how much water that really is, one hell of a lot is all I know.;) NSF
In the Spring of 2005, the lake was coming up approximately 18 inches a day. We camped out on a beach over Memorial Day weekend that was on an Island, which was approximately 8 ft above the water line. When we pulled off the beach on Monday afternoon, there was only approximately 6 inches of elevation above the waterline visible.

Right now the lake is coming up 3-4 inches a day and will steadily increase in rate.

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
couldn't have been all that big a lake in the 60's. If my school days remind me, Powell didn't reach original full pool until around 1980ish

·
Slum Lord
2,854 Posts
1966 plus 17 years = 1983
Next, turbines and generators were installed from 1963 to 1966. The dam was dedicated by Ladybird Johnson on September 22, 1966. It took 17 years for Lake Powell to completely fill for the first time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts