Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been tossing around the idea of a boat with outboards or the dominant choice, i/o. But in all reality I'd prefer a project to do something unique. I've always liked the old school hulls. Theres a couple 32 Spectra's on Offshore, and looking for opinions on taking an old hull such as that and completely going through it and updating to modern power. So, what kind of performance do you think one could get out of one of these hulls with 325-350hp small blocks and bravo drives? Heres one of the boats I'm considering.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/1979_spectra_32-o28568-en.html

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
32' Spectra...?? Gonna need alot more than small blocks...:D
How about a little elaboration. Both 32's that are for sale, the owners state the 454's in them are in the 325-350 range, and the boat runs 65. I was figuring removing 1000lbs would make a major difference. 2Forcefulls boat runs very well with small blocks. I'm not looking for an 80mph boat. Just an old school decent performer.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Just phunin'...I'm just guessin' that Spectra is a very HEAVY boat, if it runs in the 60's, that's great...2FF's twins are pushin' a CAT as well, much different...;)

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just phunin'...I'm just guessin' that Spectra is a very HEAVY boat, if it runs in the 60's, that's great...2FF's twins are pushin' a CAT as well, much different...;)
Ya, I know the cat deal is much different. I don't know if the mid 60's deal is legit, thought some of the old timers around here might know. I just didn't think it would be a stretch to eliminate a thousand pounds off one of these boats between engine choice, and drives. The price of parts have come down to where it wouldn't cost an arm and leg to repower one to a current standard.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
You could put a couple LS7s in there to drop a lot of weight and get 505 HP each. That's a 427ci engine, so the torque should be there, too. It would be a cool project. Motors won't be cheap, but you could downsize a bit with the LS2-based motors out of wrecked Escalades - 400 HP, all aluminum, full electronics.....

You might get a cheaper setup with one of the Dart-based aluminum big blocks built by some of the well known marine engine builders.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could put a couple LS7s in there to drop a lot of weight and get 505 HP each. That's a 427ci engine, so the torque should be there, too. It would be a cool project. Motors won't be cheap, but you could downsize a bit with the LS2-based motors out of wrecked Escalades - 400 HP, all aluminum, full electronics.....

You might get a cheaper setup with one of the Dart-based aluminum big blocks built by some of the well known marine engine builders.
Your thoughts are where mine were going. Theres some merc reman complete 325hp small blocks around for a little over 4k. Thats what started me thinking about this. I've already got 3 aluminum long block setups. There just a little on the expensive side to put in a project like this. The merc small blocks are really tempting.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/357_overstock_blowout-o27282-en.html

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Personally, if I were to do a complete rerig on a project like this, I would start with a Cig, or Scarab hull. They are more desirable, stronger, and in the end, easier to sell if it ever came to that. They are also out there for the price of the boat your looling at or less.

Darrell.

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
I'm thirty miles from Rancho Cordova. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Mark

·
Registered
863 Posts
Redneck, I owned serial #1 32' Spectra, built for me my Bud Baily. It was really great in its day, and when clean, they are still an awsome, ageless boat. I was fortunate enough to have towed the winning skier in the Catalina Ski Race twice (Chuck Stearns). My only comment is that I don't think you'll be happy with small blocks regardless of the reduction in weight. Good luck if you take on the project, and you'll be the envy of any lake you visit...

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm thirty miles from Rancho Cordova. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Mark
Hey thanks for the offer. I'm gonna be out that way in a couple weeks and am going to go look at both boats if there still available. To DMoore, I've thought of the other hulls, just want something different. I really like the lines of the 32. I do agree with you on price, I think they're both about 6-10k over where they should be at this time.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Redneck, I owned serial #1 32' Spectra, built for me my Bud Baily. It was really great in its day, and when clean, they are still an awsome, ageless boat. I was fortunate enough to have towed the winning skier in the Catalina Ski Race twice (Chuck Stearns). My only comment is that I don't think you'll be happy with small blocks regardless of the reduction in weight. Good luck if you take on the project, and you'll be the envy of any lake you visit...
Can you tell me if the performance numbers I was told are in line? I'd like to have something that will run in the 75mph range when done. I'd really like to keep with a fairly stock setup. Can you tell me if the hulls had any quirks? Bad habits, etc. I'd really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Redneck, no, the hull had no quirks, was very, very straight and the boat handled very well. The long deck had a little flex in rough water and a few people like you who have bought them have beefed up the deck. From day 1 I had mild 454 Gale Banks turbo motors, approx 650 hp back then and the boat was timed at 88 MPH at a POPBRA kilo race at Lake Mead (about 1200 feet above sea level). In todays world I would go with a couple of 700 or more motors, IMCO drives, with an aggressive X dimension, and modern props. They look fabulous re-gelled, taking off the old wood grain, and if possible a new windshield or no windshield at all. I talk to Bud Bailey quite a bit and he told me they only built 54 of them. Compared to todays boats, I don't think the boat is heavy, but using modern motors with aluminum heads and headers you'll give up a lot of weight. It really needs all white upholstery as well. I'll look around to see if I have any old photos of it. It ran so well it would hang on the transom at speed...

·
Registered
386 Posts
The Spectra ad you're referring to says the boat comes with a pair of SS 23-pitch Mirage props, so you can do the math. Assuming a 4800 rpm redline for the stock 454s, the boat will run in the 61 to 62 mph range (real GPS speed). The 32 Spectra was an excellent all-around hull in its day. After Spectra closed, Bud Bailey went to work for Speed and Marine in Orange, CA. There he stretched the 32 a little and created the 34 Silver Wing. Then he went on to work for Hallett and that's where the 34 Hallett (no longer in production) came from. Probably the best you could expect from repowering with a pair of 6.2L MerCruisers (320 HP) would be 64 to 65 mph. Unless you really want to blow a lot of money, it might just be best to freshen-up the existing 454s and stick with the TRS drives -- they should be plenty good for this application.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
The Spectra ad you're referring to says the boat comes with a pair of SS 23-pitch Mirage props, so you can do the math. Assuming a 4800 rpm redline for the stock 454s, the boat will run in the 61 to 62 mph range (real GPS speed). The 32 Spectra was an excellent all-around hull in its day. After Spectra closed, Bud Bailey went to work for Speed and Marine in Orange, CA. There he stretched the 32 a little and created the 34 Silver Wing. Then he went on to work for Hallett and that's where the 34 Hallett (no longer in production) came from. Probably the best you could expect from repowering with a pair of 6.2L MerCruisers (320 HP) would be 64 to 65 mph. Unless you really want to blow a lot of money, it might just be best to freshen-up the existing 454s and stick with the TRS drives -- they should be plenty good for this application.
If he takes your twocents worth it will save him a bit more than that. :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wow....sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to seeing Bud at the Hallett Regatta at Lake Mead on June 20. The Spectra crew back in the 70's were definitely a know-how-to-have-fun bunch. I've heard that its original owner, Ed DeLong, at 80+ is still going! Maybe all those cigars are the secret to his longevity.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts