Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 74 Tahiti Super Tiger. Been to the lake eight times, none of which have been a good trip! First time the boat would not turn or go into reverse. I found the steering cable routed wrong and a clamp off the diverter (?) cable. I shut the boat off and then it would not start. Had to be towed in. The next time the boat turned great and would go into forward and reverse. Ran one tank out of fuel and then again the boat would not start! Was also missing above 4000 rpm. Put a new distributor, coil, plugs and wires in. Took the boat to the lake to time it and it wouldn't crank over. The starter solenoid was bad. Replaced the starter and took it back out. The new coil was bad. To shorten a long story it never came off the trailer five times and has been towed in the other three. The last time the alternator went bad. Now she has a new starter w/ solenoid, coil (x2), plugs, wires, distributor and alternator. I have a new intake for it but not yet installed.

The guy that towed me in last time was in a BEAUTIFUL pickle fork and he said "that is the fun in owning one of these boats. Wrenching on it." I agree to a point but it would be nice to actually wrench less and be able to have it on the water a little more. Anyone else have this many problems?

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
Anyone else have this many problems?
Welcome to the wonderful world of boating. You're preaching to the choir. Most of us started out the same way.

Keep after it and soon you'll run out of things to fix.

P.S. depending on how your tanks are plumbed, running one out of gas and you're effectively out of gas unless you have the means to shut off the empty tank via a valve of some sort.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep on my first boat.. first time out ran pretty good.. first day second day starter was kickin out, so had to go get a starter..
Second time out ran good, when i got home to rinse the lake water outa the engine, i had no Oil Pressure.. pulled the motor, found the oil pump pickup in the pan..
Had to put a Small block in it.
runs pretty good for the time being.. but at least its a Jet drive.. makes it easy for me, cuz its an engine and a Jet.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
No, I have had no problems in the 4 years I have had my Miller.:)sphss:)sphss

There was some small stuff, though.

Our first trip out just to see how it ran, we got passed up by a bass bout with a 150 outboard. Miller did MAYBE 45-50.

Pulled the Engine, built a new one with Brodix heads and a tunnel ram. Ruined the Hyd. cam on the trailer during break in, replaced it and flushed oil and filter several times. Tried to get a summer out of it, blew it up second trip. Built new engine w/ new 4 bolt block, complete forged rotating ass., Hyd. ROLLER, same heads and T-ram. Decided to do a rail kit since motor was out, ended up resetting intake and tricking out the pump. Installed new carpet since everything was dismantled. Re-assembled boat, put it in the lake and saw severe cavitation at 50 MPH. Drove it anyway, destroyed fresh impeller, almost sank boat when intake came loose and spun the boat out. Nearly tossed Wife and myself.
Pulled boat apart, had a TRUE professional reset intake, SS impeller. reassembled boat.
Now runs GREAT, does 86 MPH, starts first time every time.
Took 3 seasons, countless hours, I don't know how much money. Still no rail kit.
Been towed 4 times. (Once by a....Jet ski:mad:)

BUT, worth every dime and every minute spent on it.:)devil:)devil:)devil

Just keep eliminating the small glitches, soon, it will be more dependable and fun!!

Many of these boats get passed around by people who just try to get it on the water now and then, or don't understand what is required to make them dependable.
You may have several owners worth of "rigging" stuff to work.
It doesn't require TONS of money, or high dollar everything.
BUT, it is the small details that will keep you running. There can be NO loose wires, You should be able to isolate your fuel tanks, battery must be good. go through it front to back with a screw driver and some wrenches.
You have a fuel system, a very basic electrical system, a very simple drive system. Address each one for small repairs and check all nuts and bolts each trip. Shit comes loose and that is the main cause of system failures, IMO.

I always find small stuff that could get me towed if I didn't check it out every time.
I spend about an hour before and after each trip checking the boat out. (Sometimes a couple days after the trip!)

Welcome aboard!!!!:)hand

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Testing?

There is a distinct difference between going to the lake/river to "test" the boat, vs loading up the family, all the toys, a picnic lunch and the icechest.... With an "outing" planned, not only are you and the family disappointed, but you, as the "wrench" are under a lot of pressure to make sure everyone has a good time....

Back up to the "testing" trip. Just you and a buddy, no toys, no picnic, no PRESSURE......Once those testing trips produce a dependable, FUN boat, then, and only then, plan your family "outings" and have FUN....

Fact, 5 boaters meet up at the lake for the weekend with all the frills, 3 will fail, of those 3, 2 will be terminal :)st, then at least 1 of the other 2 will fail.:)grn....At the end of the weekend you're lucky to have 2 running trouble free......Aint this boating crap FUN!!!

Really, devote some "testing" time before the family commitments, it's a lot easier on the stress levels..........

Ray

·
oldsmopile equipped
702 Posts
I Ruined the Hyd. cam on the trailer during break in
did you ever figure out why it wiped the cam? did you use zddp or any other kind of breakin lube? just wondering because I just broke my cam in and so far so good, after hearing all of these stories lately I think it will be the last flat tappet cam I ever buy, time to start buying rollers:)bulb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. depending on how your tanks are plumbed, running one out of gas and you're effectively out of gas unless you have the means to shut off the empty tank via a valve of some sort.
Yes I ran the left tank out then switched to the right tank via the valves in back. The gauge doesn't work in the left tank but seems to work okay in the right.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
thatguy;1209172 Been towed 4 times. (Once by a....Jet ski:mad:) !:)hand[/QUOTE said:
I bet you haven't had the 'pleasure' of gettin towed in by a red olds yet have ya:D:D

·
Registered
896 Posts
i just got my boat this year and i have had a few problems my self. Trust me be patient and you will get it, its worth it trust me:)devil

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
Been at it for 4 years with my Kona with 455 Olds. Everyday I look at the boat I see something I still want to change.

It never ends.

I am also in the process of restoring a original Hamilton Javelin with 455 Olds and 3 stage Hamilton Jet, a 2 stage Hamilton with 302 Ford, single stage with 298 Holden and a 21ft Supra Wake boat.:D

I wake up some nights in a cold sweat and suffer from Jet Boat nightmares.

Just keep at it, you will get to know your boat like the back of your hand and sooner or later you will forget about the teething problems you had with it and enjoy it with your family.

Wikus

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I am also in the process of restoring a original Hamilton Javelin with 455 Olds and 3 stage Hamilton Jet, a 2 stage Hamilton with 302 Ford, single stage with 298 Holden and a 21ft Supra Wake boat.:D

I wake up some nights in a cold sweat and suffer from Jet Boat nightmares.

Wikus

Back home we'd call that a glutton for punishment. :D

·
"Mad" Member
769 Posts
Funny thing is when I got them they were all running fine, but nooo I can make them faster, shinier ..........:D

Wikus

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Old sayiing....

Funny thing is when I got them they were all running fine, but nooo I can make them faster, shinier ..........:D
Wikus
Well you know the old saying, "if it isn't broken....keep messing with it until it is"

Ray

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I will NEVER get towed by a pink anything!!!:)hand:)hand
Can't even remember how/why it happened, but I was once towed in by a 1950's era runabout. It was Salmon pink and had the 50's fins on it. Evinrude 30hp outboard. I didn't have any cash but offered the driver/skipper some beer from my ice chest. He emptied it. :D

Sure wish I had a photo of it. Similar to the one below. When I say Salmon pink I don't mean part pink. The entire boat was pink.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had it out for the fourth time yesterday. Started and ran all day long! Got off the trailer and back on under her own power! The only problems I had were a little bit of back firing and my gas gauge, oil pressure gauge, and temp gauge didn't work. Slowly getting there!

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
Had it out for the fourth time yesterday. Started and ran all day long! Got off the trailer and back on under her own power! The only problems I had were a little bit of back firing and my gas gauge, oil pressure gauge, and temp gauge didn't work. Slowly getting there!
That is good news!
Just keep tinkering and don't be afraid to poke around and get familiar with every nut and bolt, as well as just looking at the wiring and see how stuff is hooked up and how it works.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Electric??

I assume they are electric gauges.... If all, or most, fail to work it is usually a bad ground at the gauges...... You can ground the sender leads and that should "peg" that gauge.... If it doesn't, (all), chances are the main ground to the dash is missing......... I usually run electric at the dash, and mechanical somewhere around the engine, visible from the driver's seat...... I just don't have a lot of faith in electric gauges when so much is at stake......Ray

1 - 19 of 19 Posts