Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to the river this past weekend and pulled a rookie mistake backing up my friends boat trailer. I have been boating for over 15 years now and besides leaving the drive down once I now have this to add to my list of mishaps. After a long day of boating on the river I went to get my friends truck and trailer to do my part. As I was backing down the launch ramp the trailer completely disappeared on me due to the angle of the launch ramp and the height of the truck (chevy 4 door long bed deisel on 38' tires). I was lined up perfect, so I thought and some how I managed to hit the boat dock. I was so sick to my stomach the rest of the trip because not mine and my friends boat/trailer are basically brand new. Hopefully someone can relate, just feel like shiat.

Wondering how much a triple axel fender with diamond plate will run me?

trailer fender.jpg
whoops.:dumb_ass:

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
i have the exact same truck and size tires as well as triple axle trailer and i know what you mean. I can easily see how you can loose touch of the trailer being that high, next time put the tailgate down, it does help so you can see the end of the trailer a little bit. since its not a stainless fender, it should not be too much to fix at all, probably re-using the diamond plating since it looks to be rivited on. good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to drop the tailgate but I was afraid of hitting the gate on the trailer jack. i guess it would have cleared it no problem being so high. lesson learned, when it doubt stop and get out.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
You need to tell your friend to drill a hole and mount a back-up camera in the center of the license plate! And get one of the Rex marine stringer washers and add some angle to it on the bench grinder(to face it down). :D

Oh and the diamond plate can be reused, just rivot it on to the new fender.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I wanted to drop the tailgate but I was afraid of hitting the gate on the trailer jack. i guess it would have cleared it no problem being so high. lesson learned, when it doubt stop and get out.
LOL, my wife did exactly that. Wasnt till the next day that I saw it, took me a while to figure it out, bless her soul, she felt horrible but hey,shit happens right.
I've done worse myself!!!!!!!! Fix it and boat on;)
NSF

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I on my old trailer, I had a flip up off road flag on about a 8 foot whip that I set up on the back of the trailer for backing....Works especially well with little short trailers behind big tall trucks.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Remember no matter how careful and full of experiance, even pros like us all ef up once in while:D Fix it and carry on.;)

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
call Vic and Beartrailersports
He did an amazing job on my trailer and a lot cheaper than i expected
BEAR TRAILERSPORTS

21720 Marilla Street
Suite A
Chatsworth, CA 91311
Phone: 818-727-1585
Fax: 818-407-1696

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Fix it right ! New fender ,diamond plate,paint to match. I would even touch up any road scars that
might be there while your at it. Might be able to fix the fender from the pic.
He your buddy you said .

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Sounds like a little more practice is in order using your mirrors to back a trailer instead of looking over your shoulder.:D:D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Why not use your mirror?
Here's a trick. When backing down, put your hand on the bottom of the wheel, look in your mirror. If the trailer needs to go left, your hand should go left. Simple.
:p

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
with the angle of the ramp and the height of truck the trailer disappeared in the mirrors, even looking over my shoulder to try and get a glimpse of the trailer wasnt an option. i thought i was lined up pretty good until i saw the boat dock move a bit. got out a shiat my board shorts.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts
Anyone that says they haven't done something like this is either a liar or just plain lucky. Their turn will come...
Fix it, buy him a beer or two and boat on.:D Life is too short to worry about it. If he's a true friend, he'll never let you live this down.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
with the angle of the ramp and the height of truck the trailer disappeared in the mirrors, even looking over my shoulder to try and get a glimpse of the trailer wasnt an option. i thought i was lined up pretty good until i saw the boat dock move a bit. got out a shiat my board shorts.
Even if the truck is lifted - you shouldn't have been able to lose the trailer in the mirrors. I just backed down my friend's trailer (smaller 25' Shockwave Tremor boat) with their truck (6" lift and 35s) and I never lost the driver's side wheels of the trailer. I just line them up with a line on the dock and follow the line. Simple.With my lowered truck and longer 34' (hitch to tail) trailer, it's even easier.Hey, it's over now. Just fix it and don't do it again.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts