Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few rides on a friends jet boat I was hooked. I bought a 1988 Taylor BR with a 454. Primary use will be for skiing/wake boarding. Biggest reason for a jet boat is our average river depth is around 3' and the traditional ski boats just won't work here. Now this was a end of season purchase but I did get to put about 3 hours on the boat before putting it away for the winter just to try find a quirks with the boat. Now for my questions. First has anyone put a wake tower on this style boat? On the hole shot pump seems to unload for brief second then goes, no continuous cavitation while accelerating. Do I have a pump issue or just a heavy boat issue? Should I consider an inducer? Boat has a 12-s pump, will the low profile Berkeley diverter fit my pump? Only other issue I am having should be solved with larger squirters, will stall when floored from idle.

Now for some more info on the boat. Now some of this is just I was told by previous owner. 50hrs on pump with new stainless AA impeller, shaft and bearings. Boat turns 4600rpm at WOT. New Holley 800 DP. Motor lower end done two seasons ago due to spun bearing. 262hrs on a working hour meter. Look forward to any advice the guru's are willing to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,837 Posts
here in cali we see wake board towers on everything.....looks good..on a open bow jet

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect, that is one thing I would really love to add. We don't have a lot of real jet boats around here, mainly just those bathtub jets.

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Watch in shallow water, in water 3ft deep in will suck rocks off the bottom. It looks like it has a split bowl on it so yes you can install a place diverter. Enjoy it and get ready to be broke as long as you own a jet boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see it is registered in Va. and has a P.B. sticker. Ray sell you this ?
Ron sold me the boat.

Watch in shallow water, in water 3ft deep in will suck rocks off the bottom. It looks like it has a split bowl on it so yes you can install a place diverter. Enjoy it and get ready to be broke as long as you own a jet boat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not too big of deal when you start out broke. :thumb: I actually own a pontoon and two stand ups yet. Just got rid of my Four Winns Liberator and before that had a 68 Donzi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since my pump has the water lube bushing would it be worth my time and money to switch to the grease lube bushings? Especially since I run in shallow/dirty water. Can I just install the bushing or will bowl need machined and at that point would it better just to buy a new bowl? I plan on putting a few thousand in the boat over the winter but want to start with items that will make the boat more reliable, user friendly and less maintenance. Not overly concerned about top speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that boating season is upon us here I got the Taylor in the garage to begin making some upgrades/repairs. First off is a new swim platform. I had the platform made by PlastiTeak. Making my own brackets from 304L. Have a wake tower on the way. Diverter has become an issue since I would like the low profile style but CP says it will not work with my 12S. Was supposed to be working up a quote for me but that was weeks ago and they do not reply to the messages I have left for them. So may have to figure out how to route shift cable through the platform.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
...... Diverter has become an issue since I would like the low profile style but CP says it will not work with my 12S. Was supposed to be working up a quote for me but that was weeks ago and they do not reply to the messages I have left for them. So may have to figure out how to route shift cable through the platform.
You can go straight to Place Diverter and Controls, they sell direct and you will be talking to the people who designed and make the diverter.

Place Diverter
https://www.placediverter.com/home/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can go straight to Place Diverter and Controls, they sell direct and you will be talking to the people who designed and make the diverter.

Place Diverter
https://www.placediverter.com/home/

Thank you, I spoke with them today and all I need to do is change the steering knuckle piece of the split bowl to be able to use the low profile diverter.

·
BTC cardcarrying member
1,075 Posts
Well look what I found. Was wondering why the fuel hose on this side seemed kinked. Turns out tank was leaning due to wood being rotted out. Time to put an order in to US Composites.
Let the fun begin!
And, back to the Va. registration. Where are you located? Curious, I'm in Va.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let the fun begin!
And, back to the Va. registration. Where are you located? Curious, I'm in Va.
I am just outside of Harrisburg PA. Still haven't put the PA numbers on yet. :54:

Got most of the mock up done. Gotta say when it is this rotted it is very easy to get out of there. Replaced a core in a swim platform a couple of years ago and that was a nightmare to get out. Came out in thin layers.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Painted, tank back in with new filler hose and log bolted back up. Waiting on riser gaskets then need to figure out where to put diverter pump and start tearing other side apart. Also started putting reverse cable in.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts