Performance Boats Forum banner

So if you were asked.........

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  WTMFA 
#1 ·
By the political figure heads of Lake Havasu,

would you rather see a New Marina (with ample boat -car parking / picnic areas / new slips / boater friendly bar-grill),

or would you like to see a small University (mtv crowd of students) / ampitheatre be built on PRIME land just down from the ranger station (forgot the site they call it, you see it from the hiway),

just curious, even in these times one seems to be getting alot of attention/push per the local newspaper !!!

keep in mind havi has a nice Community College.

#12 ·
politicians will choose the one that lines there pockets the most.

but i choose marina. havasu marina needs a longer ramp (underwater) so that larger boats can launch. i believe they have a 32' limit. that sucks for the big boys. windsor eat props:)sphss, site six is a joke (launch/retrieiving/and parking) and the nautical well is private. so unless you know some one who knows someone the nautical is out.

marina marina marina but then again why would the city build anything for the demographic they are trying to get rid of (kind of)

#13 ·
politicians will choose the one that lines there pockets the most.

but i choose marina. havasu marina needs a longer ramp (underwater) so that larger boats can launch. i believe they have a 32' limit. that sucks for the big boys. windsor eat props:)sphss, site six is a joke (launch/retrieiving/and parking) and the nautical well is private. so unless you know some one who knows someone the nautical is out.

marina marina marina but then again why would the city build anything for the demographic they are trying to get rid of (kind of)

Oh ya, I forgot, your right!

#9 ·
You forgot, along with the dumb ass idea of a university, they want another golf course too!!!
I can't believe that they think that crap is a good idea!!! We need a marina and we need it yesterday!!!!!! Just my worhtless, they won't listen to the public .02.

#14 ·
That area that they are trying to put an NAU campus on is state land. They are also planning a marina as part of the project big plan.

The way the land is held says the only way that they can put a marina on that (state) land is if it is "tied to an institution of higher learning".........go figure ;)

....that is why they are trying to get a university here

#21 ·
Yes - Marina, and -
Minimum 12 lanes of ramp, and -
Parking for minimum 1,200 vehicles w/trailers, and -
Visitor center, and -
Eco-education center, and, and, and, -

I feel confident in saying that every local elected official (and appointed ones, too) that I have spoken with wants these things too. This has been in the plan and on the drawing table for over 12 years, but progress has suffered from multi-agency jurisdictional and bureaucratic issues. In the last few years, however, many of those problems were resolved and a plan was coming together well enough for the state parks board to grant almost $300,000 in SLIF for designing the launch and marina facility portion, but the funds were later swept by the legislature. Despite the setback, the project remains a priority, but will likely have to wait out the bad economy.

The City has applied to BLM for a Recreation and Public Purposes (R&PP) lease on 280 acres of land that would ultimately connect the launch/marina facility with the rest of the city infrastructure. The launch/marina property is state trust land and not available to the City, so the City is looking to acquire what it can, which is the BLM land. As part of the R&PP application process, the BLM requires a master development plan for the land, which is where the golf course and other development concepts enter the picture. The college is no longer considered part of the development plan for the 280 acres.

Believe me when I say that our City leaders are just as eager to get this project under way as anyone on this board. But the City is just one of several agencies that have to work together to get it done, and right now none of us has any money and all other resources are strained just trying to provide basic services.

I hope this helps clear up any misunderstanding of this issue.

Charlie Cassens

#22 ·
BTW -

I forgot to mention in my previous post that a public information open house on the BLM R&PP lease is scheduled for Wednesday October 21 at 6 pm in the City Police Facility meeting room at 2360 McCulloch Blvd. N.

You may also e-mail your comments to the BLM at lake_havasu@blm.gov (underscore between lake and havasu)

I can tell you that except for one local resident, the ONLY opposition I have heard on this project has come from a key BLM staff member who told me that he thinks adding a new launch/marina facility will only add more boaters to an already overused system and lead to more overcrowding, accidents and shoreline environmental damage. I suggest if you feel differently about it that you drop BLM a note and respectfully express your opinion as to whether you think the City should be granted the R&PP lease.

I hope to meet some of you at the meeting on the 21st.

Charlie Cassens

#27 ·
BTW -

I forgot to mention in my previous post that a public information open house on the BLM R&PP lease is scheduled for Wednesday October 21 at 6 pm in the City Police Facility meeting room at 2360 McCulloch Blvd. N.

You may also e-mail your comments to the BLM at lake_havasu@blm.gov (underscore between lake and havasu)

I can tell you that except for one local resident, the ONLY opposition I have heard on this project has come from a key BLM staff member who told me that he thinks adding a new launch/marina facility will only add more boaters to an already overused system and lead to more overcrowding, accidents and shoreline environmental damage. I suggest if you feel differently about it that you drop BLM a note and respectfully express your opinion as to whether you think the City should be granted the R&PP lease.

I hope to meet some of you at the meeting on the 21st.

Charlie Cassens
Who's that, R. McCulloch I presume;)

#23 ·
I'm all for a marina, but it's kind of funny that no one has really spoken up about the what a university can really do for Havasu in the long run. University's can help bring much better paying jobs to the city which would survive economical down-turn's (like the one we're in right now) better than the boating industry. Better jobs will also help out with home values.

#25 ·
I like the idea of the Univ/Launch combo. I think the combined parking lots would deffinately be a bonus and atleast they are constantly getting used. Plus now one lot is being built and is accumulating two sources of revenue. One from the student parking permits, and one from the boaters. Many times in these smaller towns the univ's are built and not many students take up parking anyways. Usually do to the univ bering built similar to a satellite campus and not offering all of the degree consentrations as a full campus. Golf course would seem to be better built up by the hill. Most of the GC builders are building into the hillsides anyways, so why put one on a flat piece of land. Build one with nice elevations, and panoramic views. Plus a nice course built in the right area can cause a developer to become interested in building a higher valued track of homes.

#26 ·
I like the idea of another Launch Ramp, and even another Marina. BUT any new Marina must be 'private money', not public tax dollars. A new launch ramp, like Winsor could be a 'state or county' park and charge for launch and parking. BUT any kind of 'for profit marina' with slips, stores and services MUST be built with PRIVATE MONEY. I will not pay property taxes that go to subsidize a 'marina business' and also pay a 'private marina' to park my boat. This lake does need a longer ramp, for the larger boats. The ramp at the marina and those at Winsor have been destroyed by all the lazy people who 'power hard onto their 1/2 dry trailers' and undermine the cement ramps. This is "private enterprize VS public services/taxes now", and the current city council better not even consider spending 'tax dollars' on any kind of marina or launch ramp. Our taxes are too high for the 'low level services' we are receiving now. Let the HIGH ROLLERS step up and PRIVATELY FUND any new marina (S) on this lake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.