Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'd said on here a couple of months ago that I was slated for layoff. Tonight, the City Council votes either to lay off or not lay off five of us. We've gotten a lot of stuff done with the union, but this guy just didn't want to negotiate - his mandate was to get rid of the white guys, no matter how. My lovely assistant also has to go, as she is too closely associated with me, and the gal that she could bump then also goes. Two white guys, one white woman, and the two "collateral damage" Latinas.

If it goes against us, tomorrow will start my two weeks notice.

I have an interview on Monday for more money, from an agency that tracked me down to apply, but there are no guarantees; I've already had a small town mayor chase me down, and I didn't get that job. I'm also looking to set up shop doing loans as broker again in LA, although the drive will be a bear.

I've been working the press, I have Dolores Huerta coming to support me, just getting after it. Even filed an age/race/disability discrimination claim. Here's a link to one of the news stories, there were more but I could only find one:

17 Sunrise Morning Briefing | KGET TV 17

I've been the City's PR guy for three years, what did they expect?

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We won, for now

Well, we won. I got Dolores Huerta there, we all spoke about the reduction in services to the City, and got a 3-2 vote against the resolution to lay us off.

Why the "race" card? Active campaigning by certain people in the city to literally get rid of the white guys. The mayor even told me that was the issue (he's black, so not exempt). The person recommended by the Chief was a Latina, but the name that came down was a white woman. When City Council meetings go on about how the people in Arvin should only, "look like me", and comments are made about, "they should pay attention to me because I'm Mexican", is that the race card? Never mind that I'm darker skinned than my assistant.

This could come back in a few weeks, however.....

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
hkunz:1493745 said:
Well, we won. I got Dolores Huerta there, we all spoke about the reduction in services to the City, and got a 3-2 vote against the resolution to lay us off.

Why the "race" card? Active campaigning by certain people in the city to literally get rid of the white guys. The mayor even told me that was the issue (he's black, so not exempt). The person recommended by the Chief was a Latina, but the name that came down was a white woman. When City Council meetings go on about how the people in Arvin should only, "look like me", and comments are made about, "they should pay attention to me because I'm Mexican", is that the race card? Never mind that I'm darker skinned than my assistant.

This could come back in a few weeks, however.....
i hate the "i should get this because im a minority" b.s. good luck man. I hope all works out for you.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
Wow, I didn't know you were employed out in Arvin. That place seems as screwed up as McFarland!

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL, I interviewed for City Manager in McFarland. As it turns out, second place was the winner!

A few days after I found out I didn't get it, they arrested the Public Works supervisor for selling meth in front of the grocery store, lost two of their police cars (how do you lose a marked police car?), and discovered that "their" Bobcat was stolen from someplace back east.

Talk about dodging a bullet.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here we go again

At today's "meet and confer", he once again put my name up for layoff. Now there are 6 names to be presented to Council next week, and two of us will save less than 10K over the rest of the year. But, those two are the "white guys", so we have to go.

I'll try to get Dolores Huerta again, and do all the press stuff, so we'll see what happens.

Anyone hiring disabled Veterans?

·
New here
4,219 Posts
At today's "meet and confer", he once again put my name up for layoff. Now there are 6 names to be presented to Council next week, and two of us will save less than 10K over the rest of the year. But, those two are the "white guys", so we have to go.

I'll try to get Dolores Huerta again, and do all the press stuff, so we'll see what happens.

Anyone hiring disabled Veterans?
Hey, if it's a LEGIT story you want looked into - and go public - my wife is second-in-command at KBAK TV29 / FOX58. They "ask the hard questions to get the hard answers". They will look into it. Just call their line they advertise on the news.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find that a bit humorous. Jose Gaspar was part of the original problem, making a racist thing where there wasn't any, and getting a good City Manger fired, which opened up for this clown to come in. Talk about the news people causing the news....

Anyway, I have some good stuff, but so does one of her production people. It has already been provided anonymously by someone at the City.... It is the kind of thing a reporter could write their ticket with...

·
livin' the dream
62 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear all that. Hope all works out in the end. Trust me, its everywhere. I was thinking about a name change and some fake tanning to get promoted.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, sorry to hear all that. Hope all works out in the end. Trust me, its everywhere. I was thinking about a name change and some fake tanning to get promoted.
LOL, that was suggested to me as well. Even the Mayor, who is black (which means not-Hispanic, so he's on the outs as well), told me it was a race thing.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So it appears that there has been a lot of writing of various letters to the newspaper, and grievances to the City Manager. No City work being done, just a lot of screwing around....

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Up again tonight. I figured out that my layoff will result in the net loss to the City of $4,005.

How's that for some goofball math? If they just kept me on, they would be 4 grand richer.....

We will see.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Sorry to hear about the situation. It amazes me how some cities are still standing.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's the core staff, not the pols.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts