Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the obvious higher HP and higher speeds? More stout parts used? Longer life? What are the benefits or drawbacks? The 525 is proven over a longer period of time....has the 600SCi proven itself to this point? The 525 used regular pump gas...Does the 600SCi require premium? I assume your insurance costs would be more with the 600 -vs- the 525.....

Thanks in advance and any input is appreciated

·
I got nothing
2,037 Posts
You get a turbo charged motor with a 1 year warranty...That tells me that Mercury is very secure in what that motor has to offer, how it is built and it's chances of longevity...Plus the acceleration is phenomenal from what I understand...

·
R U or U R?
1,829 Posts
Tom, there is no way we could get a "running shot" if u had anything quicker than you have now.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I know that Tom tires of his toys very quickly but this thread is really catching me off guard! I wonder what's in the works now? :D :D

CC

Just thought of it.........Tom's gonna repower the toon'!

·
Just One More
1,092 Posts
I know a guy who runs a 600 SCI in his Lavey ( I believe it's a 24) at Parker and has had it new since 06 when he built the boat - no problems whatsoever so far- I presume he runs it fairly hard- hence opting for that motor in the first place....:D

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that Tom tires of his toys very quickly but this thread is really catching me off guard! I wonder what's in the works now? :D :D

CC

Just thought of it.........Tom's gonna repower the toon'!
Not a bad idea but I am researching this for a friend.....

I still have and ride my bike Carl :)

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Besides the obvious higher HP and higher speeds? More stout parts used? Longer life? What are the benefits or drawbacks? The 525 is proven over a longer period of time....has the 600SCi proven itself to this point? The 525 used regular pump gas...Does the 600SCi require premium? I assume your insurance costs would be more with the 600 -vs- the 525.....

Tom - Chicks dig anything with a LONG STROKE :)hand

·
Registered
465 Posts
You can do a computer reprogram and pulley change on the 600 and be running close to 750 HP. Tell the Ins. company it's a 600, still looks exactly the same. To get that much HP out of the 525, you gotta add a blower. For some reason insurance companies don't mind insuring a boat with the 600, but the 525 with an added blower is a lot more and tougher to get.

·
New here
4,219 Posts

You get a turbo charged motor with a 1 year warranty...
Hopefully, DILLIGAF, you know that this is SUPERCHARGED (the SC of SCi) and NOT TURBOCHARGED, just to stay accurate.

Probably the biggest benefit is having the same HP all the time. Regardless of temperature, altitude, or any combination of both (density altitude) - you have the rated HP at your disposal.

The ECM and a combination valve keep the HP of the motor the same regardless of the previously mentioned variables. So, let's say the HP is 600. You can go to Tahoe and have 600HP without touching the motor or ECM. You can go back to Havasu or even a lake at sea level and the HP is still 600. It can be 40 degrees outside or 114 - you will still have 600HP.

Clear as mud?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have discussed this topic with friends over many Coronas.
With suspect fuel quality these days i wouldnt run these motors on anything but premium.
Reliability with any motor comes back to how many HP you can squeeze from the CC, before you over stress the motor.
In theory then the 600sci and 700sci although more stressed than the 525efi , as they share the same 8.2L /502 block ,IMO arent at or near being over stressed ,so forget the 600sci and go straight to the 700sci ,easy ;).

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The other major difference between the 525, and 600SCI, is the amount of torque produced by the supercharged motor , is a great deal more. And, it's produced over a much larger RPM range.

Darrell.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I have a 600 sci with a stage one program from whipple. 670 hp. Stage two is a smaller pulley which would be another 60 hp. These motors (the 600) is the exact motor as the 700 except for the cam and pulley. They are detuned and can be "adjusted" to be over 800 hp. This would require a larger intercooler and smaller pulley and a cam.

Mine has 140 hours and it runs perfect. It is somewhat sensitive to outside air temperature even though it is rumored not to be. I definately have more power in colder temps.

Initially I had some water pressure issues which have now been solved. The motor has a noticeable mid range power band which I think is the most noticeable over the 525. I have to admit that without the reprogram the motor seemed kinda sluggish. After the reprogram... wow!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts