Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guy underbids us by almost a million dollars on a project. We are about 6th on a bid list of 30. It's a hard rock job. That's what my company does. No worries. After a month, dude calls in and asks us to go look at the project. Turns out he doesn't have the equipment to dig the job. It's in hard rock. I send my guys down and we get him some numbers to excavate the 45,000 feet of trench he needs.

Little prick calls me back and tells me I am too high, he can get it for 1/3 the price. What would I do if I was him? I tell him I would go with the guy that quoted him 1/3 the price. I hang up. He calls back, tells me he doesn't need me but knows I am the best and he wants to work it out with me. I tell him, that's my number and I'll assume the risk, wear on the machine and the teeth for the trenchers. (There are liquidated damages he is facing.) He tells me I need to be at cost to help him out and then we can go forward and do amazing shiat together. LOL

Ultimately the guy wears me thin. I explain to him that I am not the low bid on a job I can't do.........you are!!!! He hangs up on me. LOL Now my field guy keeps asking me if I heard from him. Nope and I don't give a crap either! :)

So life goes on! :)coffee

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
He tells me I need to be at cost to help him out
That's my favorite part of the story. Gotta love stupid competition in the industry. Coming out of the woodwork everywhere. :)sphss

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
What, you don't want to work for free? What kind of Obamaite are you anyway?:D

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Everybody wants a deal.... People use the economy too often as an excuse to grind you down to nothing... Nice that you held to your price.. When the guy calls you to fix the lowest bidders mistakes tell him your repair rate is higher.. You would think he would appreciate your bottom dollar first bid because it was truly the best you could do...

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's my favorite part of the story. Gotta love stupid competition in the industry. Coming out of the woodwork everywhere. :)sphss

It's unbelievable. Half these people I have never heard of. They keep bidding stupid numbers for work they can't do! Who bonds these idiots? :|err

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm seeing this a lot. Guys bidding at basically our cost. I think they are just doing it for cash flow hoping to make it up in the future. We aren't dropping our prices that low. We have lowered our margins but if we can't make any money on it there is no point in taking on the liability. Fortunately, we are doing enough work now but hoping it holds up.

I'm also seeing a ton of new guys on job walks. There will be 20 guys walking a roof and less than half will actually submit a bid. Most aren't even qualified.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm seeing this a lot. Guys bidding at basically our cost. I think they are just doing it for cash flow hoping to make it up in the future. We aren't dropping our prices that low. We have lowered our margins but if we can't make any money on it there is no point in taking on the liability. Fortunately, we are doing enough work now but hoping it holds up.

I'm also seeing a ton of new guys on job walks. There will be 20 guys walking a roof and less than half will actually submit a bid. Most aren't even qualified.

I'm right there with ya!

·
Other Side of River
1,235 Posts
Like i said last month when he got the job,these guys spend more $$ on attorneys than they spend on Equipment.You can finish him off if he is sliding on Prevailing wage or union.1 hour ago a union rep walked up to one of my sweepers,damn good thing he is a union operator or he would shut the job down. It goes on and on.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That is insane.

I don't know how you guys deal with the construction business. Jeez. I know there is money to be made (sometimes) but that business is a crooked as can be.......:)sphss

Glad I don't have anything to do with it...

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Some guy underbids us by almost a million dollars on a project. We are about 6th on a bid list of 30. It's a hard rock job. That's what my company does. No worries. After a month, dude calls in and asks us to go look at the project. Turns out he doesn't have the equipment to dig the job. It's in hard rock. I send my guys down and we get him some numbers to excavate the 45,000 feet of trench he needs.

Little prick calls me back and tells me I am too high, he can get it for 1/3 the price. What would I do if I was him? I tell him I would go with the guy that quoted him 1/3 the price. I hang up. He calls back, tells me he doesn't need me but knows I am the best and he wants to work it out with me. I tell him, that's my number and I'll assume the risk, wear on the machine and the teeth for the trenchers. (There are liquidated damages he is facing.) He tells me I need to be at cost to help him out and then we can go forward and do amazing shiat together. LOL

Ultimately the guy wears me thin. I explain to him that I am not the low bid on a job I can't do.........you are!!!! He hangs up on me. LOL Now my field guy keeps asking me if I heard from him. Nope and I don't give a crap either! :)

So life goes on! :)coffee
I've had a few of these in the last couple months. I generally will work with someone if its a situation they didn't create themselves. I had a general not to long ago that bid a job for DOD that didn't realize some of the electrical being done would require Q clearaces. To make things even more interesting he thought he was going to dictate what, when, whre, and how much. There are times when I absolutely relish sticking it to an xxxhole.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
That is insane.

I don't know how you guys deal with the construction business. Jeez. I know there is money to be made (sometimes) but that business is a crooked as can be.......:)sphss

Glad I don't have anything to do with it...
Its really not bad. Reputable and honest Contractors are generally always in demand.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had a few of these in the last couple months. I generally will work with someone if its a situation they didn't create themselves. I had a general not to long ago that bid a job for DOD that didn't realize some of the electrical being done would require Q clearaces. To make things even more interesting he thought he was going to dictate what, when, whre, and how much. There are times when I absolutely relish sticking it to an xxxhole.

That's what this guy was doing. Telling me what I will and won't do! It is a prevailing wage job. He wanted us to invoice him as an "independent" so he wouldn't have to show a certified payroll. Trust me, he's a dickhead!

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
You know, I've got about a 3 year backlog of work, totalling around $500 million, completely wrapped up and just looking for someone to do the work. If you want to hire me for $300K a year, company truck, fuel card, and expense account, I'll turn it all over to you, but I'm going to need the money up front. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, I've got about a 3 year backlog of work, totalling around $500 million, completely wrapped up and just looking for someone to do the work. If you want to hire me for $300K a year, company truck, fuel card, and expense account, I'll turn it all over to you, but I'm going to need the money up front. :D :D :D

Jeeesh, really??? :)sphss

·
Banned
4,599 Posts
Jeeesh, really??? :)sphss
Just trying to help you out... stop being so negative. BTW, you think it's any coincidence that your office smells like birthday cake all the time? Making it a happy place, instead of those holiday nonsense crap that was burning in there. ;)

People helping people. :D

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just trying to help you out... stop being so negative. BTW, you think it's any coincidence that your office smells like birthday cake all the time? Making it a happy place, instead of those holiday nonsense crap that was burning in there. ;)

People helping people. :D
What are you talking about? It smells like cigars in my office.......like it always does. We had cake last week. No one this week, but it's still young!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts