Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 3 batteries in my toyhauler that are all ran so its still 12v. If I put a solar charger on the roof and run the cable to the 1st batt will it have enough umphf to maintain all 3? I dont want to boil the batteries but just keep them alive. I was thinking about a 1.5 watt charger or do I need something a little bigger for all 3?

·
Some guys never learn.
658 Posts
Boiling them shouldn't be a problem as the charger should include a charge controller. as far as whether you have enough power you would need to post more info about the panel and the batteries. It's really about recovery time. A smaller panel might keep your batteries topped off while the hauler is stored and not being used. A bigger panel or panels may be needed if you want to recharge from an evening of playing music and running lights while you are out riding during the day.

·
Registered
433 Posts
1.5 watt is tiny. Most chargers I've seen are larger and switch to float once the volts come up so your not frying batteries ( I believe 13.8v).

·
Registered
435 Posts
Without knowing exact load , i doubt 1.5watt would cut it ,i think you should start looking in the 100 -150watt range ,I run a 150watt in a toyhauler like you describe and it has been great for the last 3 years . I even put one150w on my Cruiser one of the best accessories ever, for example my fridge has been ice cold for 2 years just off solar/batteries.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
If they are wired in paralell (as it sounds since you have only 12v deliverd), any size charger will charge all 3, as long as nothing separates them electrically (as long as they are all wired up).

As noted, charger power will affect charging time, larger charger faster, smaller charger slower.

Nothing the least bit complicated about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1.5watts divided by 12 is only .125 amps of charging power. Not very much. It might work to keep them topped off when your not useing it but nothing more. Check out the northen tool catalog. They have tons of solar charging kits and stuff with more power for pretty good prices

1 - 8 of 8 Posts