Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im wiring a Ford type solenoid from Napa (part# ST81) on my BBC. Its a 4 post top two large post ones Bat and ones Start. Bottom two small post ones Start and ones Ign. From the wiring diagrams i've seen around here I have a good idea how its supposed to be wired but if I run my Alt, power and both battery cables like the first diagram below they wont all fit on the one post. Is it ok to use the 2nd diagram as it seems much less cumbersome, or is that a different solenoid then the ford type I have?

simple-wiring-diagram-for-jet-boat-wiring-diagram.jpg

a54b6e691c2fb7ec32a3f2d53aa00f57.jpg

·
kenny nunez
76 Posts
Wiring

I have seen both types on boats and they work good. The only thing to make sure of is that the solenoid is the Marine type (non grounded base). Depending on the particular electrical layouts or because of space limitations I have also added a “flag” connection to a solenoid to give more room for extra wire terminals.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen both types on boats and they work good. The only thing to make sure of is that the solenoid is the Marine type (non grounded base). Depending on the particular electrical layouts or because of space limitations I have also added a “flag” connection to a solenoid to give more room for extra wire terminals.
Actually I have the type thats grounded through the bolt on the block how I have it mounted now. Whats the difference between the two? And thanks for the reply.

·
kenny nunez
76 Posts
Wiring

The way you have it wired with the “I” terminal grounded will short out the solenoid. The “I” terminal on a grounded base solenoid is the “by-pass” circuit. Since you are using the “by-pass” circuit from the main solenoid just do not ground the “I” terminal on the boost solenoid and it will be good. True Marine solenoids also have a rubber seal between the bracket and the plastic housing to be Coast Guard approved so that fumes cannot enter the housing and shoot out a flame when energized.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts