Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Full on race boat = solid or solid Roller
lake boat - hyd roller or hyd flat tappet
there are alot of reason why and it depends on your application .
maintence
spring pressures
valve wear
:D

the only problem with flat tappets anymore is the oils have changed and its harder on the cam ( more prone to go flat )

Why i have stated hyd roller for a lake boat is cause you get the benifits of the roller grinds with the ease of maintance , Not alot of lake boats are twisting over 6200 - NOTICE LAKE BOATS - before i take a beating ...

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
No con's with going solid vs hydraulic flat tappet unless your rpm and hp goal can be met with the hydraulic.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
the only problem with flat tappets anymore is the oils have changed and its harder on the cam ( more prone to go flat )
This just makes you switch to straight synthetic.

I've been running a pretty stout hydraulic flat since 2004, max of 5,900rpm on nitrous, 150# closed, about 370# open, been washing it in Castrol Syntech since day 1.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Is it molly rings you don't want to break a motor in with syn. or am I way off? I just lost a whole motor because I didn't go roller. I won't play that game again. Just my .02. Good luck Sav.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
What are the pro's and con's of a solid cam vs hydraulic.....

Dont be shy let me have it :D
Take the best of both worlds ... a hydr roller.

If it's pure performance you can't beat the soild roller :D

What rpm range (upper ) are you shooting for ?

Sleeper CP :D

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Do you want to enjoy your boat or work on it?

Working on a boat isn't enjoying it.

I honestly adjust hydraulic cams as much as flat tappet cams, but that's just it only takes a few minutes and I like added piece of paranoid mind :D

It's not like if you get a solid you're adjusting it constantly :)

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
YES and no -- usually if your running a big solid , you should still back your springs off ! Not with a hyd ( except for winter ) which i never do ?:D

Working on a boat isn't enjoying it.

I honestly adjust hydraulic cams as much as flat tappet cams, but that's just it only takes a few minutes and I like added piece of paranoid mind :D

It's not like if you get a solid you're adjusting it constantly :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think your engine is worth the $700 upgrade to hyd. roller. Whats that going to be, 5% of the build. I love a good hyd. flat though, like Cranes HMV Powermax/Comp XE lobes. Just a little agressive on the seat for marine apps. However, couple those lobes with Rhodes lifters and say 260 degrees at .050 and you wont see a flatter torque curve between 3000-6000. Now they are availible for Hyd. roller in 2 versions. Cant wait to get a set on the dyno. My experience with Rhoades has led me to running 12-18 more degrees of cam at .050. So now a 266/272 hyd. roller doesnt seem unreasonable for a 500 inch deal. I think I just talked myself into a set for my own 582!

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
YES and no -- usually if your running a big solid , you should still back your springs off ! Not with a hyd ( except for winter ) which i never do ?:D
Not if you are running it a couple of times each month during boating season. Back them off for off season yes. ( Is that what you mean ? )

For a big soild if you are concerned about backing them off every week, buy better springs. Something like Isky Tool Room.

And yes I work on our boat all the time and enjoy it. A lot.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Is it molly rings you don't want to break a motor in with syn. or am I way off? I just lost a whole motor because I didn't go roller. I won't play that game again. Just my .02. Good luck Sav.
I had no trouble, Double moly ringset.

I do think it took a while to get really good oil controll aranged.
First year it would burn a quart of oil in a long weekend of running (towing skiiers and tubes mostly).
Don't know when it settled down, but, 4 years of nothing but Syntech later, has not burned an appreciable drop all summer, nor did it last year.

The "avoid synthetic at the beginning" is IMO BS, as most of what manufacturers put in cars, is synthetic, right from the factory.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
I
The "avoid synthetic at the beginning" is IMO BS, as most of what manufacturers put in cars, is synthetic, right from the factory.
I think that has to do with the "hone" and rings used. I've had enough stuff on the dyno I'd still feel better about a standard "break-in" oil and then switch. Just my .02

·
Manwhore!!!!!
369 Posts
Concerning a hydrolic cam has anybody used the lifters with the oil hole in the bottom so you get direct oiling and splash oil to lube the cam and lifters.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Concerning a hydrolic cam has anybody used the lifters with the oil hole in the bottom so you get direct oiling and splash oil to lube the cam and lifters.
They just came out w/ them............ Reed Cams, Peach Tree Georgia, call them tell them what you want, weight inches , rpm etc.......... They will custom grind a cam for you, have worked with them for 20 years, those guys have never been wrong yet.................. I run stud girdles, lash caps, solid lifter w/ the good crane roller rockers............... With that combination, I go through my valves about once a month, sometimes 2 or maybe 3 exhaust valves will be .002 to .003 off, at the most, I run lash caps because I have had the rollers "dish out" the top's of my valves. I change head gaskets, springs and all the valves every 3 seasons, I'm in Mich, I don't back them off in the winter, just turn it over at least every 2 to 3 weeks............ file that all under "It works for me"...................Also A vote for Obama is like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders..................

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
The only thing I dont like about a solid roller is in an application that idles a bunch. Seems hard on the rollers. Every season I pull and do the roll on the thumb test. Usualy find one every once in a while that doesnt roll nice.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,075 Posts
The only thing I dont like about a solid roller is in an application that idles a bunch. Seems hard on the rollers. Every season I pull and do the roll on the thumb test. Usualy find one every once in a while that doesnt roll nice.
They make the Hi pressure oilers now (Hippo) . I have a set of them in the Ford now.

Sleeper CP

1 - 19 of 19 Posts