Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read about roller lifters falling apart and am wondering if they should be inspected from time to time or is it okay to run them as long as the lash doesn't go away?

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
45 views and nothing?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
I've read about roller lifters falling apart and am wondering if they should be inspected from time to time or is it okay to run them as long as the lash doesn't go away?
Race engine, after a season an inspection of the entire valvetrain is a good idea.

Nasty pleasure engine. I don't think an inspection of lifters after 100 hours would be unreasonable.

Good running pleasure engine....200 to 250 hours.

Above would be with solid roller lifters.

On hyd roller stuff the valve spring is the weak link. If the engine starts to loose power and rpm then I would check the springs and lifters. Someone correct me but I think Merc wanted the blue engine's springs changed after 200 hours.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris. Iwould call it a mean pleasure engine. 548 ci, 800 hp @ 6000. solid roller. only has 22 hours on it so it sounds like i can wait.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Thanks Chris. Iwould call it a mean pleasure engine. 548 ci, 800 hp @ 6000. solid roller. only has 22 hours on it so it sounds like i can wait.
Check your lash a couple times a year, or more frequently if you can...if you notice any change at all, it's best to check the lifters. If the cam has over .700 lift, it's also best to chek spring pressures once in a while. Weak springs can cause all sorts of valve train related problems.

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
I run .800 lift, pretty aggressive ramp and lots of spring pressures on my river/race engine. I check the lash after each trip.. If anything moves more than normal the lifter comes out. They get inspected very close after each season, going on 2.5 seasons on my lifters right now, very pleased with them.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
I run .800 lift, pretty aggressive ramp and lots of spring pressures on my river/race engine. I check the lash after each trip.. If anything moves more than normal the lifter comes out. They get inspected very close after each season, going on 2.5 seasons on my lifters right now, very pleased with them.
How are your springs holding up?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
How are your springs holding up?
And if you don't mind sharing what springs are you running?
Amazes me how easy it is for some to want to start something on these boards. So before it hits the fan, let me just say, I run these. they are good because they aren't just Comp, they are PRO Comp. And they say they are for the serious roller.. And there is 2 Gs in SPRINGGS, so I assume that means they are doubles. The price is right:D I have had them in my deal for 10 years now, and they still close the valves.;)
http://www.procompelectronics.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=37521

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Amazes me how easy it is for some to want to start something on these boards. So before it hits the fan, let me just say, I run these. they are good because they aren't just Comp, they are PRO Comp. And they say they are for the serious roller.. And there is 2 Gs in SPRINGGS, so I assume that means they are doubles. The price is right:D I have had them in my deal for 10 years now, and they still close the valves.;)
Actually wasn't trying to start anything...just wondering how his springs were holding up doing double duty, river and race. The direction I was going was that usually, if you stay on top of your springs, the rollers last longer. Hallet is right in that if you idle around a lot, the rollers aren't getting the oil they need and it can be hard on them. Cheap springs are definitely a waste of $$.
You're joking about the springs, right???

·
Owner/Crew Chief
443 Posts
And if you don't mind sharing what springs are you running?
When his motor was 1st built, Dave (DNE) used LSM Engineering Springs (which we use ... on our 2nd set ... 187 passes on the 1st set ... note also that the lift of our cam is considerably more that that of Chris'). Have no idea if he has gone to another manufacturer or has stayed with LSM.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Actually wasn't trying to start anything...just wondering how his springs were holding up doing double duty, river and race. The direction I was going was that usually, if you stay on top of your springs, the rollers last longer. Hallet is right in that if you idle around a lot, the rollers aren't getting the oil they need and it can be hard on them. Cheap springs are definitely a waste of $$.
You're joking about the springs, right???
I wasn't refering to you. Try to keep up would you. And yes I was joking. Every spring, in every head, has only one spring.
http://iskycams.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2980&cPath=17

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
When his motor was 1st built, Dave (DNE) used LSM Engineering Springs (which we use ... on our 2nd set ... 187 passes on the 1st set ... note also that the lift of our cam is considerably more that that of Chris'). Have no idea if he has gone to another manufacturer or has stayed with LSM.
Well look who the dog drug in...how are you Jak? Long time!
I know he was using LSM at one time, but not sure now...kinda why I was asking.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I run the same springs as gn7 posted.Also i run the Isky red zone lifters havent had any problems yet. Maybe a hundred passes and ten or so river hours on them.Have to agree with steel as soon as something reads different i will keep running the setup without teardown.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you think I'm starting something you be mistaken. When someone is having success running a stout solid roller valve train in a boat I ask a few questions in hope to learn a little about what is working for them. The fact I quoted Steel is because I simply asked my own question of CS that pretty much piggybacks the question Steel asked. Sorry to let you down on starting something if that is what you are thinking.:)hand

·
Crap Flinger
38 Posts
didn't CS19 build his own engine after the DNE's combination/customer service went to $hit?

I watch and see a lot, lurk and rarely post. but it seems like you always like to point out that CS19 bought an engine that DNE once built.

from what I've read, that combination was from years ago ... isn't it totally different and has lasted much longer now?

why do you do this?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts