Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s been a lot of bashing of the LHCPD lately, some warranted some BS. I would like to share some facts with you.

I’ve been very fortunate to spend the last couple months getting to know the all new water safety team and channel patrol.

The new staff is comprised of BOATERS.

The Sgt in charge of this unit was a California weekend boater. He and his family relocated here several years ago to be at the lake they love full time. He knows exactly what it’s like to leave the rush and cut loose for a weekend at the river. Don’t fault him for enforcing laws and keeping the channel a safe family environment.

1) The channel area is a city park and it needs to be respected as such.

2) We all ( including myself ) have thought the LHCPD have been unfair in some of the handlings of the channel enforcement. They will admit to disparities, but also hope that the creation of the new team will correct this.

3) They are not there to baby sit! The patrol boat would much rather cruise back and all day making sure everyone is safe and having fun.

4) Expect friendly contact regularly. Part of the new environment is to approach the boaters. This will help us and the officers. They would much rather chat/remind/visit rather than cuff and stuff.

Those are just a couple of highlights of my meetings with them.

The facts are: With crowds come issues and sometimes they appear harsh. Remember, they are thier to ensure we all have a fun and safe day on the water.

I have asked Capt Fuimara to create an account and respond to some of the comments.

Chief Doyle has an open door department policy and would love to hear your thoughts and concerns.

Lastly, the LHCMA is really making progress within the city. It is important to realize that WE all share a common interest in the lake. I understand that a few people will have personal thoughts on it’s direction, but it’s because of this association that the LHCPD has opened the communication like never before. This city welcomes boaters and I know you’ll see a difference in attitude this season.
I am not cheerleading for the LCHPD, we all make errors, some worse than others. I certainly wouldn't want to work a 12hr in 110 + dealing with some of the people they have too. All I ask is we all give them a chance and respect the rules of the channel.

Here’s a copy of an e-mail received 3/7/08 from Larry Reese (aka Uncle Larry).

After the last city council meeting (special presentation by Gary Kellogg on the new marine study) Mayor Mark Nexsen came up to me and said...

"What does the marine industry need/want?
"Now can the city help?"

Basically the city wants the marine industry (association) to take a more political active role - meeting with the mayor and or city manager on a regular basis - voicing the associations concerns and ??. These can be both one on one meetings or sometimes presentations to the city or at least a comment or two during the general call to the public..

Bottom LINE - the city wants this association to take a more active/leadership role... Are you ready?

Todd Headlee
Executive Director LHCMA
928-208-6044

·
Islander Moho Trash
2,119 Posts
That all sounds good. I think we all agree that those who deserve to be cracked down on should be cracked down on. A good percentage of the morons aren't even boaters.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Todd, thanks for the update on what the LHCMA has been up to. Not being able to get to LHC as much this year has kept me from finding out what's been going on.

I can tell that you and the LHCMA has been busy doing what is needed to be a voice with the city. From my experience with city government and politics, what you have embarked on is often a thankless job. Most don't understand the time spent just talking to people and sitting in boring, sometimes stupifying, city council sessions. But That is what it takes to make a difference.

Chief Doyle appears to be making a change in the LHCPD despite what a few opponents here say. I have been encouraged with their response in emails, and hope that Capt Fuimara AND the Sgt in charge of the new water safety team come onto the forums. From your post it appears that the badge heavy cops are off the team and a more approachable, mature group has been assembled. I hope people would expect they talk to us and call us on our good and bad behavior.

I hope I can find the time to help out with more than just $$. This kind of work takes personal time as I said above. Let me know what I can do - even if it is just a periodic email or attendance at a meeting for the group. I think others will step forward if they are asked specifically to do something.

Keep up the good work and do not get discouraged.

Ted

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks for the update Todd!:)
Keep the info coming as we all like to hear the latest.On the other hand i'm sure there will always be complainers,speaking of wich i'm suprised
Kilrtoy has not sniffed out this thread to bash the LHPD yet.
I personally think they have thier hands full on most weekends and do a pretty good job of keeping the peace and making it safe and enjoyable on the lake for us boaters.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
been a while since you have had much to say Todd, I have to say as many may agree its good to see a post here and there from you. You can't lurk forever.

The update on LE's intentions are nice to hear, I have never understood all the LHCPD bashing anyway. Maybe because I select to stay off they water on most holiday weekends that draw trouble. I still believe that visitors should show some respect, its about education. If LE takes this new stand that you speak of, and educates peeps on what is expected of them they may get a better response (i dunno for sure, but it may be worth a try). I will say that if peeps bring some attitude with em, they prolly will be getting some back from LEO's (just a thought).

Thanks Todd, see ya.

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
Give respect Get respect! The 1 and only encounter I had with LHCPD (new boat no stickers) The officer with the small D_ck syndrome (i know due to my brother in-law, his wife & 3 of my neighbors all serving) set the mood of the violation from the moment he opened his mouth, With that said, I know they are under a lot of stress! and deal with a lot of scum! But when your trusted to uphold and protect (carry a gun) you should also be able to rise above....

·
6,873 Posts
Maybe some of you should read other forums and you will see alot of people have complaints alot worse than mine and of a very serious nature....
My complaint is not about enforcing the law, I understand that better than most of you,
NOT ALL, I said most of you....My complaint is their attitude towards people....
I treat hardcore gang members in South Central Los Angeles better and with more respect, than they treat joe citizen who is minding his own business doing nothing wrong.

I believe this man "Capt Fuimara" will have the biggest impact here and I believe he should have been appointed chief.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Maybe some of you should read other forums and you will see alot of people have complaints alot worse than mine and of a very serious nature....My complaint is not about enforcing the law, I understand that better than most of you,
NOT ALL, I said most of you....My complaint is their attitude towards people....
I treat hardcore gang members in South Central Los Angeles better and with more respect, than they treat joe citizen who is minding his own business doing nothing wrong.
I believe this man "Capt Fuimara" will have the biggest impact here and I believe he should have been appointed chief.
Miquel i hate to keep busting your balls but maybe these othe people on "These other fourms" should file complaints and follow through rather than complaining to def ears on the internet fourms!:)bulb

If Joe citizen is doing nothing wrong than Joe citizen has nothing to worry about!

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
Miquel i hate to keep busting your balls but maybe these othe people on "These other fourms" should file complaints and follow through rather than complaining to def ears on the internet fourms!:)bulb

If Joe citizen is doing nothing wrong than Joe citizen has nothing to worry about!
Great post.

Are the other forums you speak about where you get your secret information about seeing people beaten and the LHCPD look the other way? Post up the links to these threads Kilr.

·
6,873 Posts

They have!
And Yes Joe citizen does have to worry in that town....
I think you all need to stop looking the other way and stop pretending that there is no problem.....

Try the havasu herald for the first of the forums

·
Wade & Denise
2,055 Posts
If Joe citizen is doing nothing wrong than Joe citizen has nothing to worry about![/quote]

Thats just it! I was stopped for a sticker violation no big deal write me a ticket, warn me, ask me to get off the lake! If most of the confrontations go this way I understand why they get the flack they do, it's brought on them selfs! Dont get me wrong I understand the job well...Treat as you wish to be treated! Then pop a cap off if its out of control!

God forbid if I had actually performed a crime! He probably would have shott Me...

·
6,873 Posts
Great post.

Are the other forums you speak about where you get your secret information about seeing people beaten and the LHCPD look the other way? Post up the links to these threads Kilr.
As far as secret info, My wife is not a secret and the other members who wish to remain SECRET were there and saw and acted exactly as I have written.
So stop beating around the bush and say it already. MY WIFE IS LYING....
Just as other forum members have witness me get harassed but chose to not PUBLICLY say anything for fear they too will be treated as I have...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

I agree darrell.If you aint a problem you have nothing to worry about and if you dont want to be harrassed then take the boat out of the channel and go elsewhere on the lake.

I dont go to havasu alot but in the 16 years i have been going i have not had one problem with lhcpd but have been stopped by san berdo a couple of times for minor bs crap but let go (you knwo the norm say you are making a wake when you are not,or open headers on a jet boat)all excuses to see if you have been drinking.Now with thru hub exhaust i just drive right by

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
Kilrtoy, you'd better hope they don't enforce zero tolerance for whining, or you're going to the pokey. :D

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
They have!
And Yes Joe citizen does have to worry in that town....
I think you all need to stop looking the other way and stop pretending that there is no problem.....

Try the havasu herald for the first of the forums
Better yet miquel,i tried the Channel today and didn't see one police brutality
incident.
Quit fucking whinning! You are a nice guy in person but you come across on the fourms like a whiny little fucking pansy bitch!
Take up snow skiing or something!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts