Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
renegade1
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the boat in reverse today, and when I hit the throttle I heard a pop. When I put it in forward, It was fine at idle. I hit the gas and the engine just reves. I took it to the dock at a little over idle without problems. What do you guys think it is, a seal or something? Dosent make any bad nosies, just wont hook up. It is a 2002 Legend pump in a 21 ft bowrider. PLEASE HELP.:confused:

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Were you in shallow water? Reverse may have churned something up and got into the pump. Take a light and look in at the inmnpeller and look for any debris.

Duane HTP

·
renegade1
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was is shallow water, I glanced in there, but not real hard. Ill look better sometime this week. I just parked it, were I store it. I had the Day from Hell, just wanted to get home. I am in Mo. too. I bought a couple parts from you last year. Still new too the jet pump world. Somebody else told me it could be a wear ring or a bad impeller. Do you know how to tell if they are bad?

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I went up to the end of Grant line in the delta yesterday, and when I started up and gunned it it revved way up and wouldn't go.......a 1/2 inch stick was wedged in the impeller....luckily it's a JE pump, so I was able to clean it out and go.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I was is shallow water, I glanced in there, but not real hard. Ill look better sometime this week. I just parked it, were I store it. I had the Day from Hell, just wanted to get home. I am in Mo. too. I bought a couple parts from you last year. Still new too the jet pump world. Somebody else told me it could be a wear ring or a bad impeller. Do you know how to tell if they are bad?
Somebody else told me it could be a wear ring or a bad impeller.
Possible I suppose, but a bad wear ring usually lets the pump slip bad out of the hole and impellers usually would not cause a vibration unless you had a chunk knocked out of a blade. Look in the pump very closely. Had a boat we were testing last week do that and is was a little forked stick about 1" long caught on one of the blades. Took a big long screw driver and knocked it out and problem was solved. It doesn't take much in there to cause a problem like that.

Duane HTP

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
I got some reeds tangled on my loader, and it did EXACTLY what you're describing. Sounds like you've got something between the mouth and the impeller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts