Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, for all you blown, injected guys. Long story, but wtf.
Last Saturday a guy (the seized guide engine guy) came into the motor home I was cooling off in. (after trying to stroke out). He said he needed a spark plug wire. I asked why. He said he had a dead cylinder. 1 cyl was puking out raw alcohol. He had changed plugs, adjusted valves, checked timing, and went over everything 2 times. He said the wire was the only thing left, but it shocked him. I told him if it shocked him it will fire a plug.
I told him to level his boat and everything would be fine. He just thought I was delerious. His boat was backed up a hill slightly. Not huge by any means, but ass up. He said not to worry about it? I said, no, just start it, watch it puke out alky, drive forward and it will stop. Well, after my best boat racing buddy told me to quit screwing with him I explained I had gone through the same thing once.
I had my boat backed down a hill slightly. Warmed it up and puking alky out of 1 cyl. Same thing, cap, rotor, valve lash, port nozzle, etc. It was raw alky. After checking everything, swapping plugs, wires with one I knew was firing, etc I pulled it forward. Problem solved.
Explain it.
On paper it cannot happen.
On a hill it can.
Has anyone ever seen this?
My buddy who has been around 40+ years in racing said he thought I was full of shit. I would not have believed it if I had not gone through it.
Wags

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Gravity.

With low enough air volume moving through the intake it makes sense...especially with alky.....I would think it should recover at higher rpms though....

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't remember if he brought up rpm's. I also don't remember if I did. It was years ago for me. I cold not help but laugh. He thought I was jerking his chain, 1/2 hour later he thought I was a genius.
Wags

·
Ain't Right Racin
1,706 Posts
My Buddy James had the same problem 14-71 full open std. helix hydro broke the starter more than once went to port nozzles end of problem. When it wasnt hitched to the truck nose down it was #7 or 8 then if it was down hill slightly hitch to the truck it was #1 or 2 It was rich as hell though. Hydraulics can help or hurt

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Craig, this guys piece is pretty fat also. He always has crappy looking oil.
I can't remember if I was running a 2 speed when my issue popped up or not. With the 2 speed the engine was always fat (not milky oil fat) to take power out.
Wags

1 - 8 of 8 Posts