Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before...

and after about an hour sorting out the rat's nest....

Now my volt gauge reads battery voltage :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
live in sac??? lol come do mine.

The tweak that had mine before hand... well it looks like spaghetti. I literally had 10ft of red wire wound up in the bilge area for the bilge pump apparently he didnt have a pair of ***** laying around to cut the excess off. and under the dash well your before picture looks like mine..

I can get around electrical problems, but when it comes to spaghetti i HATE chasing wires.

I like that fusable link.. :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that's a fuse. When I got my boat three years ago it had plastic glass fuse holders that were corroded and giving intermittent voltage. It's just a couple of 1/4" speaker connectors on each fuse leg. I'm waiting on my universal fuse block to show up.

What's really bad is that spaghetti was rigged like that since new from what I could tell. Power from the battery hit the temp gauge first then split through about 4 ring terminals before even getting to the ignition switch. I lost over 2 volts between the hot wire and ign switch and 3 volts by the time it got to the volt gauge.
I happened to find my camera under the drivers seat while laying under the dash too!
I thought it was going to be bad straightening out that mess but it wasnt' really all that bad.
The trick I did was to take all the ground spaghetti completely. Then I took the purple dash light wires one at a time cutting to length and putting on fresh ring terminals. After those were done I did the same to the sending unit wires one at a time. Then power. Then the grounds. (then cleaned up the place diverter wiring).
Like you I got rid of three sets of wires that ran the entire length of the boat and didn't go anywhere.
Now that I know every wire in my boat I can finally visualize the relay panel that's going in the back sometime next week. Stay tuned for part 2....

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
earl, that avatar has me pissing myself hil:) :)devil

GT :)hand

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
That mess only took you an hour or so to clean-up .... Wow :)devil

Good job.

S C P:D

·
Registered
981 Posts
No, that's a fuse. When I got my boat three years ago it had plastic glass fuse holders that were corroded and giving intermittent voltage. It's just a couple of 1/4" speaker connectors on each fuse leg. I'm waiting on my universal fuse block to show up.

What's really bad is that spaghetti was rigged like that since new from what I could tell. Power from the battery hit the temp gauge first then split through about 4 ring terminals before even getting to the ignition switch. I lost over 2 volts between the hot wire and ign switch and 3 volts by the time it got to the volt gauge.
I happened to find my camera under the drivers seat while laying under the dash too!
I thought it was going to be bad straightening out that mess but it wasnt' really all that bad.
The trick I did was to take all the ground spaghetti completely. Then I took the purple dash light wires one at a time cutting to length and putting on fresh ring terminals. After those were done I did the same to the sending unit wires one at a time. Then power. Then the grounds. (then cleaned up the place diverter wiring).
Like you I got rid of three sets of wires that ran the entire length of the boat and didn't go anywhere.
Now that I know every wire in my boat I can finally visualize the relay panel that's going in the back sometime next week. Stay tuned for part 2....
That fuse is what i was referring to its hilarious ive never seen somethin that mickey mouse when it came to wiring.. Ive seen botch jobs, and complete messes but WOW someone was pressed for time or just didnt wanna do it the right way lol.

It looks good, i didnt think about doing it one by one like you said. Seems like that would be the way to do it. Looks like ive got yet another project to do onmy boat lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts