Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took my boat out today was running good. was doing about 45mph with me and my bro in it at about 2800-2900 rpms. Opened it up full throttle and the main water line blew off!! just pumping water into the boat and I had to fly into shore! Engine was almost half under water! lol tightend up the hose clamps and drove it for the rest of the day ok but never opened it up again! are braided stainless the way to go? i just 5/8 hose! I have a garden fixture to adjust water pressure then a t-valve to let water from a hose in then the T-valve to split the inlet lines! Too much?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've got the exact same setup on my 460 w/ berkely pump and haven't had any trouble with it...even with opening it up...time for a new hose clamp maybe :) haha

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
so i took my boat out today was running good. was doing about 45mph with me and my bro in it at about 2800-2900 rpms. Opened it up full throttle and the main water line blew off!! just pumping water into the boat and I had to fly into shore! Engine was almost half under water! lol tightend up the hose clamps and drove it for the rest of the day ok but never opened it up again! are braided stainless the way to go? i just 5/8 hose! I have a garden fixture to adjust water pressure then a t-valve to let water from a hose in then the T-valve to split the inlet lines! Too much?

Tight hose clamps are the way to go with either barbed or preferably dog-dicked fittings (don't know the proper name for them) Nothing wrong with heater hose or the higher quality 200psi stuff, but if you've got it just slipped over the end of a pipe with a hose clamp, it'll come off.

Stainless lines are nice, but spendy.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
if nothing else, get some hard line, or even a 1/2 pipe with the male npt to go into the pump, then directly to a gate valve. then attach your hoses, that way if they blow a hose off you shut the gate valve and get everything back together without worrying about sinking the thing. obviously a stainless setup is the nice way to do it safely, but some people don't have the money, so at least get the cheap safe setup with hard line of some sort, to a gate valve. What would have happened if you blew a hole in the hose instead of just blowing it off the fitting??? don't chance it. you can get the pipe and valve at any hardware store for 20 bucks or so.

Andrew

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya honestly I just dont think I had it clamped down enough scared me real bad though! i was thinking that it would be good to have that gate valve in there but thats where it blew off lol! right before the valve so I couldnt shut it off! I guess I will just seal it up tight and try again how open do you guys leave your valves? Is a water pressure gauge a good idea?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
ya honestly I just dont think I had it clamped down enough scared me real bad though! i was thinking that it would be good to have that gate valve in there but thats where it blew off lol! right before the valve so I couldnt shut it off! I guess I will just seal it up tight and try again how open do you guys leave your valves? Is a water pressure gauge a good idea?
The point is to have no rubber hose between the pump and the valve. Screw a piece of pipe into the pump, then screw a valve onto that, then run your rubber from the valve.

Get a water pressure guage and keep it less than 15 psi at WOT.

·
The Brown Bomber
91 Posts
i run 5/8 hose too.. my first voyage this year i had a exhaust hose blow in half. that was fun, had to run to shore full throttle. luckly i left the trailer in the water for a bit. lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow a 4000! Never even seen one that big! My brother was soo mad at me because my bilge is soo old and was barely pumping! Pretty scary thing though when the boat is just filling up soo fast and the faster your go the more water that line pushes in!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ibhsbz by putting the pipe on there that would mean it would have to have threads though right I dont think mine has that! That is a really good Idea though!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a jaquzzi WJ no real mods i think its basically stock with a 410 horse 454. The line didnt blow I think maybe i didnt have it tightened down enough!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts